1911 Firearm Addicts banner
21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Man I’ve tried everything under the sun from all the glocks,M&Ps to any other polymer gun you can buy to nighthawk, Wilson combat, les baer and honestly one day your just gonna get something that just fits your fancy just right and that’ll be all you carry don’t get to caught up in the perfect carry gun there’s always gonna be something out there that holds more rounds that’s easier to conceal blah blah just find a gun your gonna fall in love with something you just want to look at all the time and carry it and practice with it

·
Cav Troopers Dad
1,761 Posts
While I’m still looking for the better mousetrap a little over 5 years ago I purchased a Wilson ULCC in 9MM. I have carried it the majority of the time since buying it. The ULCC and a Sparks Criterion remind me of that favorite pair of jeans, comfortable. While I have others that I will carry occasionally I always come back to the ULCC. Good luck in your search.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
518 Posts
I'm a gun guy. I will be forever buying & trying new guns. Some gun I shoot well, others I don't (and will usually get rid of). Sometimes I'm able to modify a gun I originally didn't shoot well, and now it works for me. As an example. I just got into the Sig 320 series. I didn't shoot mine very well until I added a flat trigger and X-series grip. Now I love it.

I'm not one to "settle" on just one gun. I have several in my line-up that I like to carry. But I have the most trigger time on Glocks. So if I just want to grab something to carry I know I'm proficient with, it will be a Glock 19.

Recently I've gotten into RDS. My take away from shooting RDS & Iron sighted guns last Thursday was; "Irons suck".

·
Registered
716 Posts
I have a great relationship with the LGS. They call me before guns they know I like go on display.

·
Premium Member
1,442 Posts
Everyday carry Hunting knife Knife Bowie knife Air gun

I followed a route very similar to the one @Dwvalor described. I spent a lot of money and bought more guns than I can remember only to come full circle to one of my first 1911 carry guns. The gun I speak of is my S&W 1911sc. I bought my first 1911sc and really liked it for carrying. Then I traded it for another 1911 that caught my eye. Got to missing it so I bought another one. I am apparently a slow learner because eventually I sold the second to buy another flavor of the moment 1911. I am now on my third S&W 1911sc and this one won’t be going anywhere.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I started with a Wilson Combat ULCC 45acp a few years ago with only great things to say about the weapon. About 2 years ago I was considering a Ted Yost gun and decided on a CCO in 45acp. The new Yost arrived a few weeks ago and is a combination of a Colt Officers model and a Colt commander size in 45acp. Ted did his magic in creating what I call the perfect carry weapon. To own a Yost gun is quite an honor and great pleasure at the range.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
So I've just gotten into 1911s and my first and current one is a 5" full size one. I am now looking into a smaller one for carry, but my local shops don't really have any 1911s for me to try or handle. How did you guys go about finding the right one for you to carry?

So many options w/ slide length, and single stack vs. double stack, and light frame vs full steel etc.
I have been searching for the perfect carry pistol for a long time. Still have not found it, but I will keep looking.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So far my carry pistols have sorta found me. I have a thing for digging around be hind the counters looking for a deal. I got my Kimber CDP II for 600.00 out the door as it had set in inventory too long for the bean counters. I got my Sig Nightmare carry the same way. Not enough bling on it for the new wave of buyers and I like it so much I bought another one both in 45acp. I am taking all 3 to Berryville this year. If something is going to break it will surely be while I am there. Then I will go to my Grey Ghost Precision built G19. I have Ameriglow front and Vickers Tactical rear sights and it just hits where it is aimed without effort. The Apex trigger helps quite a bit too

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
I've been carrying a gun since 1975. I've gone from a 1911 in 45 acp to BHP, to 2.5 inch Python to a Glock 23 to a 1911 Valor in 10mm, to a Glock 30S to a Glock 29 (10mm) to a CZ P01 Omega to a Staccato C2 and a 1911 Valor (VBOB) in 45 acp. There are others in that list but you get the idea. There is no such things as the perfect carry gun. Find something that you shoot well and that fits your lifestyle. Enjoy what you carry until it is time for a change.

Reactions: BillKilgore

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
So I've just gotten into 1911s and my first and current one is a 5" full size one. I am now looking into a smaller one for carry, but my local shops don't really have any 1911s for me to try or handle. How did you guys go about finding the right one for you to carry?

So many options w/ slide length, and single stack vs. double stack, and light frame vs full steel etc.
Try carrying that Full Size for a little while it may grow on you, But with that some of the likes and dislikes may help with finding something different.

on the left Alloy frame 9mm Gov, on the right Steel frame .45Gov.
Air gun Everyday carry Material property Gun accessory Gun barrel

·
Chief Steward of Man Law
Every firearm I own, I built myself.
1,416 Posts
Thought it over for several years, bought a few guns specifically for carry and found what I liked and disliked about all of them. Now getting things together to build what I consider to be the perfect carry gun:
Caspian Officer slide with High & Tight cut (tri-top), serrated. Caspian aluminum frame, bobtailed with High & Tight cut on the full length (gov't model) dust cover. GI grip safety that will be cut to match the grip tangs on the frame. C&S Speed Safe thumb safety and bobbed hammer. Briley Bull barrel with full profile carry comp. NO SIGHTS.

Reactions: Ingramite and cgff

·
Registered
Wilson Combat CQB
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
While I’m still looking for the better mousetrap a little over 5 years ago I purchased a Wilson ULCC in 9MM. I have carried it the majority of the time since buying it. The ULCC and a Sparks Criterion remind me of that favorite pair of jeans, comfortable. While I have others that I will carry occasionally I always come back to the ULCC. Good luck in your search.

Hey what was your experience using the NH Counselor compared to the ULCC? These are the two that I'm looking at most closely and would like to know your first hand opinion.

·
Premium Member
394 Posts

what is leading you to want/look for a smaller pattern gun? How do you predominantly carry and what are you looking to accomplish? You’ll find opinions and advice vary widely. Id recommend evaluating the advice and the source, see which of those seem to fit your use case and application most closely, and T&E from there. there is no one size fits all right answer.

i have a few in the stable of various lengths in 9 and 45. My most common carry is my NHC T4 on a gov frame in 45. Dismiss any concerns of reliability on this, despite the short slide. it is super comfortable in a belt holster in and out of the truck. Ballistics can be largely fixed with round choice, especially with monolithic. That said, fullsize guns do offer advantages, and I carry a fullsize when it is reasonably possible.

i prefer green fiber or gold bead on black rear over any other iron. Nightsights are pointless imo. if you cant see your sights, you cant identify your target. Red dots are, of course, king.

i generally run a fullsize grip. In appendix, add a mod wing claw and a wedge, and a 10rnd stick will disappear under a semi fitted t shirt. on the belt, it will require a cant to the holster for concealment and comfort. But grip isnt something i am willing to compromise on, especially when it comes with a capacity reduction.

i run 3/4 or full size guide rods in all formats (no Gi guiderods, ever)

always wear a real gunbelt.

In the end, find a set up that seems to be great 85% of the time, and just roll with it.

$.02

my t4 gov 45. Currently at NH getting cut for a dot. It is 100% reliable, and Ive defended my life with it once.

Gun barrel Air gun Trigger Gun accessory Wood

·
Cav Troopers Dad
1,761 Posts
Hey what was your experience using the NH Counselor compared to the ULCC? These are the two that I'm looking at most closely and would like to know your first hand opinion.
While I don’t have near the rounds through the Counselor that I have through the ULCC here are my views. The Counselor shoots lights out, very accurate and so far has been boringly reliable. It feels and carry’s smaller than the ULCC, kind of strange as they are virtually the same size. I sent the Counselor back to NH for a couple of changes, it will be back home Monday. I plan on putting more rounds through it and carrying it more through the summer. My ULCC was made pre X9 and has been a solid pistol, I think Wilsons pistols prior to the X9 are just a little better. It would be hard for me to pick one over the other.

21 - 40 of 69 Posts