How do YOU Measure a Frame

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by Bully, Feb 27, 2019.

1. Bully

Bully Is that so...

May 12, 2016
    Currently I’m betwixt and between my learning.
    I’m also in the midst of trying to determine how I want my non-existent retirement to progress.
    For those that do or have done, how do you measure and determine if your frame is straight, aligned, and in spec?
    It’s something that I struggle with as I am not sure what to measure off of and where to measure to? Tools?
    Any and all suggestions are appreciated especially if accompanied by illustration and/or video.
    TIA

2. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    Try this. All dimensions use the center of the slide stop hole.

Attached Files:

3. Bully

Bully Is that so...

May 12, 2016
    That works!! Thank you.

If a 2011, any tricks?
    How much tolerance/deviation from the print is acceptable?
    I have a Mitchi digital and am seriously considering a dial. Are the Starrett's that much better or will something else get a relatively serious hobbyist through?

4. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    A 2011 frame is a bit thicker in places, as I had to pay a extra $5 for a longer hammer pin for EGWs pinned ambi safety. But that is probably because the frame is a bit thicker and the pin has to extend outside the frame. Other than the trigger and the mag catch I've used standard 1911 parts on my 2011 build.

Calipers are really only spec'd to a thou. You can (and I do) extrapolate between the marks but it takes a consistent pressure and 'feel' (for lack of a better word) to trust anything below a thou. Pistol dimensions do not require that kind of accuracy.

If you really want to be as precise as possible to, for example, the accuracy of your sear and hammer pin locations, I would use pin gauges and measure to them using your calipers. Just remember to subtract half the diameter of each pin. ;)

I cheat and use a digital touch probe that plugs into my graphical display DRO on my mill. :D

There are a number of calipers out there that will work just fine. The better ones will maybe last longer though. I don't consider my Starretts to be any better quality than say a Mit. I just happened to get a good deal on them. IIRC, their lower priced tools are made offshore somewhere.

TheCollector likes this.
  5. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
    Mr Bully , many members here consult the TACS Terrible Tools
    Gunsmithing catalog when in need of specialty tools for use with everything 1911 .
    Please find our quality 1911 measuring tools in the percussion tools section for supremely accurate results.

upload_2019-2-27_23-42-3.jpeg
    upload_2019-2-27_23-40-0.jpeg
    upload_2019-2-27_23-46-0.jpeg
    upload_2019-2-27_23-44-20.jpeg
    Send cash and postage both ways

6. Joe C

Joe C Custom Pistolsmith Sponsor

Sep 11, 2011
    Very carefully...

wrmiller likes this.
  7. Bully

Bully Is that so...

May 12, 2016
    @wrmiller Thank you as always for your insight. I appreciate it.
    @tac45 Please send an invoice to my home address and I will have a check in the mail as soon as my direct deposit from Nairobi comes thru. I've sent them all my bank information, it shouldn't be long
    @Joe C I'm sure that's true, care to elaborate? Steps, procedures, etc?

wrmiller, tac45 and TheCollector like this.
  8. Bully

Bully Is that so...

May 12, 2016
    Rough crowd...
    :laugh:

wrmiller and tac45 like this.
  9. AlchemyCustomWeaponry

AlchemyCustomWeaponry Crabby Old Gunsmith

Nov 4, 2011
    Good stuff. Years and years of experience with many different frames really gives you a bearing on what should be where and why. It's simple to use calipers to test center of a lot of the cuts. Hammer slot, mainspring housing, magwell, dust cover, rails, etc. can all be checked with calipers. Gauge pins can be used to measure the holes. But...you need a set of prints to know if your measurements are within tolerance. The GI prints are not the be all end all either, so there's that.

10. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    What he said... :D

Bully likes this.
  11. Bully

Bully Is that so...

May 12, 2016
    So what, generally, is an acceptable tolerance? +/- .002? .001?
    What do you mean that the GI print is not the be all, end all? Is this something that is dictated by experience? I’m guessing so, but I’d love some clarification.
    Thanks in advance.

12. tac45

Mar 4, 2012
    Dear Mr Bully ,
    We are happy to inform you , the TTT bank branch in Nairobi :
    upload_2019-2-28_11-5-52.jpeg
    Has successfully moved your entire account :
    upload_2019-2-28_11-8-44.jpeg
    And converted it to local funds for our ,err,your use !
    upload_2019-2-28_11-10-45.jpeg
    However please know TACS Terrible Tools a U.S. company , only deals in hard USA cash .
    Please send US currency in plane Manila envelope to me in CASH no Checks !!

Bully and william adams like this.
  13. Joe C

Joe C Custom Pistolsmith Sponsor

Sep 11, 2011
    Sure! Come to Nebraska to visit for www.1911university.com and I'll show you everything you ever wanted to know about how I do it! ;-)

14. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    I don't think he was referring to tolerance. Some manufacturers have used different dimensions when making their version of the 1911. To assume all frames and slides are the same is not recommended. But I'm not a expert on the subject as I have pretty much stuck to Colt and SA for single-stack frames and slides.

Bully and william adams like this.
  15. tac45

Mar 4, 2012
    @Joe C , do I have to use my own tools ?? :confused2:

Joe C likes this.
  16. Bully

Bully Is that so...

May 12, 2016
    Take a look at the thread you started and I replied to a week or so ago...
    :cool2:

Joe C likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted