How Does the Glock 48 Compare to the KAHR CW9??

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Nalajr, Apr 8, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Nalajr

Nalajr Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2015
    Hey all.

I’ve been a bit curious as to how the new Glock 48 matches up against the KAHR CW9.
    I haven’t handled the 48, but have handled the CW9 and I like it a lot. It’s on my short list for a new carry gun.

I have a Glock 19 and it’s a fantastic performer as you all know. I like it quite a bit. It looks like the 48 is close to the 19 in its dimensions...correct?

Which one would you pick if given one of them and why?
    Is there anything that disqualifies the CW9 right off the bat? Will it be just as reliable as the 48?

What do you all think?
    I appreciate you all sharing your knowledge and experience.

Have a good one.
    Larry

2. Les White

Les White Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2015
    I have confidence in both but give the Glock a slight edge. I am particular on what I like for sights and the Glock has many more choices so keep that in mind. Tough choice. Good luck.

3. Cop_Out

Cop_Out Pearl Pimp Supporting Addict

Feb 3, 2017
    I owned a Kahr in .380 a few years back. I didn't have good luck with it at all. It was unreliable, but was a so-called pocket pistol which can be problematic generally.

4. Bugs

Bugs Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Glock. The aftermarket support alone is enough reason. Never did like the trigger pull on the Kahr's.

razorbacker likes this.
  5. Hunt5877

Hunt5877 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 27, 2019
    Same, you can make a Glock anything you want (except a 1911) but a Kahr is a Kahr. Still have a soft spot for my Glock 17 just never picked up a Kahr I couldn't live without.

razorbacker likes this.
  6. Wildcat Creeker

Wildcat Creeker Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 26, 2012
    Just last Tuesday I picked up a new Glock 48. Don't even know what a CW9 is, so I can't help you there. But, I like the 48 and it will likely be my new daily carry.

7. fieldgrade

fieldgrade resident crank

Mar 13, 2017
    I have had multiple Glocks, and one Kahr in 380. The Kahr was a real good shooter but ultimately unreliable, and the way they design them is just odd to me. I finally got rid of it.

I own the G48 and it has been a great shooter. I've run it in a couple of matches and it did not disappoint.

8. Spokes

Spokes Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 18, 2011
    Glock G48 easy choice..

razorbacker likes this.
  9. gun_fan111

gun_fan111 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2014
    I own CW9 and P9 and recently shot a G43X and G48. These Kahrs are more comparable to G43X.

To me when you start getting into a G48 size, might as well carry something like a 9mm Valkyrie commander.

No reliability issues with my 9mm Kahrs. 380 had 2-3 failures to feed in the first 250 rounds.

10. stlgecko

stlgecko I’m just here for the 1911’s

May 24, 2014
    What he said. The 43x is nearly identical in size to the CW9. The 48 is longer in the slide.

gun_fan111 likes this.
  11. razorbacker

razorbacker Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 2, 2011
    Yep, what he said. Carrying G48 is like carrying a 9mm lightweight commander.

12. HOTCHKIS

HOTCHKIS NRA Life Member

Apr 21, 2013
    I luv my PM9 has a great trigger very accurate and is carried in a smart carry 90% of the time when not carrying a 1911.

13. tgoldie00

tgoldie00 Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2018
    I have had good experiences with Kahrs in the past, though I have never owned or shot a PM9 (though I look at them from time to time). I do own a Glock 48, 43, and have shot a 43x. The 43 is a skinny Glock 19. Almost an identical profile as the 19, but just a smidge wider than a 43. That is all there is to it (sans the 5 rounds in the magazine, of course). I also agree the 48 is more like a CCO sized 1911. It is, however, a good bit lighter due to the polymer frame, and makes for a pretty fantastic carry pistol in my humble opinion. Lastly, I will jump on the Glock accessories commentary above....since it shares most of its internal bits with the 43, there is a HUGE aftermarket for parts out there if one wanted to modify it at all.

14. Old Sea Dragon

Old Sea Dragon Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    I've owned two Kahr's, one all steel and one with the polymer frame( the mid priced one) and no longer have either. They shot well and were very thin and concealable but but were a pain in the can to disassemble due to how tightly the slide stop pin was fit. I have never run into anything more frustrating and I own, or have owned, everything but HK's. For this and all the reasons already stated I pick the Glock every time.

razorbacker likes this.
  15. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2018
    I vote Glock X 1,000!
    I've owned two Kahr handguns, a CW40, and a PM40, and both of them had issues with mags, and FTRTB. My G43 was flawless. That is just my experience, but I have a feeling the overwhelming majority will tell you to stick with Glock either G43/43X/48. Hope this helps.

Old Sea Dragon and razorbacker like this.
  16. Whiskey Sour

Whiskey Sour Blossoming Addict

Apr 13, 2017
    Glock 48 is clearly the best choice, in both reliability and aftermarket support. It is the same dimensions as a glock 19 but just not as wide. I have held one and honestly just based on the size and the fact the magazines are proprietary and not cross compatible with the glock 43, along with the magazine capacity, I would rather just carry a commander 1911. Part of the appeal of the Glock to most people and myself included is the reliability and magazine capacity, take away the magazine capacity and it loses most of it's appeal to me. Just my two cents. If you are set on a glock I would say either the 43 or 48 are the best options for a slim carry piece.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
  17. pistolwretch

pistolwretch Dremel jockey Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    Check out the Sig 365.
    I bought one for my wife and I'm impressed.

She also has a S&W 442, a 9mm Kahr compact and a Gen5 G19.

KTXdm9 likes this.
  18. HooDoo Man

HooDoo Man Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 26, 2017
    I have a Kahr CW9 and put in the Galloway spring kit and SS guide rod. This made it a great shooter. I've have 100% reliability with it, and friend of mind a used it CCW. The price is very appealing. Would I put my life on it? I use it as a back up. And to be honest with you I AM prejudice. I hate Glocks. Way overrated but great marketing. Like Kimber. So call me a Glock hatter. I'm not PC. I'm ready to take my beating.

19. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    I have a Kahr CW40 and love it. Goes bang and the cool thing is it fits perfectly in officers size 1911 holsters. Got mine from Ky Gun Co. for $250 new.

HOTCHKIS likes this.
  20. Nalajr

Nalajr Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2015
    Thank you all for the info.

Larry

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted