1911 Firearm Addicts banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I’ve scaled way back over these last few years and have stayed at a overall set # for pistols.
I went from 2 lg liberty safes to 1 quite a bit smaller.

One in one out is the rule.
This hard set rule may be broken if the right Sig 220carry or Commander crosses my path.

Or possibly Maybe A Beretta 87 cheetah, or an 85 or 84 then again a Sig 232 or 230 could work also. See where this leads.

Shotguns 1, Long guns 4 to include a 22 LR. 1 truck/vehicle long gun also serves back up to my primary hunting rifle and a colt 6920. No safe queens for handguns everything is shot or carried some more then others. I’ve moved to more purpose driven, If that makes sense.

Edited, 11-24.
Ruh-Roh,
I Broke My one in one out rule today!
was out and about and as previously posted thinking LW commander or 220 carry, Well neither followed me home But a screaming deal in today’s market did. An HK USPC 45 a tad rough looking dead NS and an AD date code. But it checked all the boxes, thus no LW commander,

·
Registered
247 Posts
Great responses. My long guns have evolved into nicer versions for my sons and I to hunt with, particularly my shotguns. The rifles are similar. I’ve been contemplating trying to trade off my poly pistols, their mags, and the holsters into 1 really nice 1911. But I also realize the person who had that nice 1911 more than likely won’t want the poly’s. I just don’t want to deal with hassle of selling them individually. I’ll just save for the Professional the hard way.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Since the minute I was old enough to legally own a pistol, I already had a mental list of guns. As I got older this list changed as did my opinions and taste.

I've always tried to buy the best that I could buy with the money I had. And over the years I've traded up to better and more expensive firearms. Now that I have three young grandkids some of the pistols will be saved for them instead of being sold or upgraded.

All that being said... there are certain firearms that I have purchased that are investment purchases.

When I think about selling a gun I think about this story...
My friend had a Super Blackhawk hunter model in 44 Magnum. I saw him shoot faces in a target, one handed with that gun.
He wanted a Dan Wesson pistol pack, so he sold me the Super Blackhawk. Come to find out the DW wasn't very accurate. So he sold that and bought another Super Blackhawk. No good sold it and bought another one and another.
Finally one day he called me. "Hey you want to sell that pistol back to me?" Of course the answer at first was no! Then he told me how many pistols he had bought and sold to try and find that accuracy again. After hearing that I did sell it to him. We always had an agreement that if I ever sold a pistol I bought from him he would get first dibs.

Bottom line: if you have a good gun DON'T sell it! You may never find another one that feels or shoots as good!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Funny thing... I’ve got a bunch of awesome 1911s and older S&W revolvers. They’re all just chillin’ in the safe.

What are my “carry” gun options? A shite-ton of Glocks, M&Ps, and SIG P320s & P365s. Yes, I LOVE the 1911s and the S&W revos. But they’re just not my “tools of the day” any longer.

Truth be told - the M&Ps and the P320s are superb “tools” of defense.

I probably need to part with a good number of sweet 1911s and S&W revolvers. Kind of hate to burden my wife who doesn’t know a thing about these fine pieces. :cry: (Admitting... , yes, I’m DHart, with a mask on.)

·
1911 connoisseur
374 Posts
I started out about 10 years ago with 1911's, Kimber being the first, fell in love with the platform and decided I wanted at least 1 gun from what I consider the top semi-custom manufacturers out there.
After selling the kimber I got my 1st semi-custom, a NH T3. Flash forward to today and I currently own models from NH,GI,ACW,WC and EB, even managed my first DW along the way.

Eyeing up a Smoking deal on a Cabot ATM...

·
Registered
25 Posts
It’s all just *stuff* if it even crosses your mind to get rid of it. I have a bunch of “collectibles” and five or six 9mm I hardly ever shoot. It’s hard to justify buying (every) gun with the intention to shoot it, regardless of it’s collectibility, which is what I have in mind when I buy them. Several will be converted to primers, powder and projectiles.

·
chicken wings
1,604 Posts
I dumped all the cool and upped my vintage game since moving to a more rural part of town. Meeting some of the fellas at the Kentucky shoot also taught me some lessons on value and not trying to be cool. Wife enjoys seeing me search and date toys I have (however she does not enjoy seeing me spend the money). But vintage tells a story. Love me some old guns and accessories.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I had a few AR 22'S. They lost their appeal to me after awhile. i too like vintage guns. I like wood stocks over poly. I still have semi-auto 22 rifles that i do shoot often. I keep kicking around the idea of selling my Hi-points too. But the boys tell me keep em. I may need them one day. I traded the AR-22's for these.
DSCF8355.JPG

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I dumped all the cool and upped my vintage game since moving to a more rural part of town. Meeting some of the fellas at the Kentucky shoot also taught me some lessons on value and not trying to be cool. Wife enjoys seeing me search and date toys I have (however she does not enjoy seeing me spend the money). But vintage tells a story. Love me some old guns and accessories.
I thought your plan was just to buy my collection one piece at a time?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yup I’m in similar circumstances. I hate selling guns though and I really hate selling 1911s.

I am slowly consolidating to mostly the ones I shoot but key word there is SLOWLY.

Word of caution coming from a CT resident - given the uncertainty of times I would not part with any ARs or anything you value that may be subject to high cap bans. I know this this obvious but I am reminded of the restrictions on my liberties daily and it sucks.
I once lived in CT - I moved to NC much more gun friendly!

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
I did a mass sell of some 15-20yrs ago. No real regrets. I still have a ton of heirlooms that have been passed to me that I will pass down that I wont shoot.

I typically have a small handful of go to guns too. However, I do like to switch it up sometimes. So I still maintain a variety of weapons.

We are living in very precarious times though.. Ban "hit list" guns are either going to be very valuable or worthless.

·
Registered
798 Posts
There are a couple guns that I sold 30-40 years ago that I regret selling. Don’t regret any that I’ve sold since then. About 5 or 6 years ago I decided that I wanted less guns but higher quality. I now have guns that I carry and shoot that are very high quality. Any gun that is not carried and shot was sold off with the exception of a few with sentimental value.

Now that I am retired a new purchase has to be really needed, thought out and budgeted. There has only been one in the last three years since retirement.

·
Registered
373 Posts
As of late, I tend to focus on improving my collection. I had a bunch of Remington 700 police rifles at one point. Then the creedmoor calibers started coming out. Remington wasn't making them, so I found Bergara. They are amazing rifles for the money. So I sold off all the Remington's except one in 6.8 SPC.

As for pistols, I want to sell a few glocks and replace them with Gen 5 guns. Going to sell off a few others that I once liked, but are no longer as comfortable to shoot.

And for 1911's, I'm selling a few that I don't like as much anymore from a style standpoint and upgrading to guns with red dots.

I constantly say my collection is nearing total refinement, but that's never true. lol

·
Registered
307 Posts
Dave, your question on the thread didn't address anyone, however, I was the only one to mention 1000yrd shooting. I was saving pennies up for A GA Precision in 6.5. I want to stick to the AR platform, unless things go to hades in a handbasket. If new rules limits AR then I will settle for the Ruger Precision bolt gun. Boring, but Improvise, adapt and overcome.

41 - 60 of 64 Posts