1911 Firearm Addicts banner

How have you all approached your collection as it grows...

6K views 63 replies 50 participants last post by  GIFS-1911 
#1 · (Edited)
Of late, I started to take a hard look at my firearms collection, there are a ton of guns that are "cool", however rarely get shot. They serve no real purpose in the collection and are either close in similarity to things I shoot often, or just are not something I reach for very often.

The guns I am talking about are seriously what many would say could be a dream list for people... Ive gotten to the point of having such high end custom 1911's and others that although the pistols and rifles are amazing, they just sit for a session of show and tell.

Right now, I am jobless... I dont "need" to sell anything, however... I cant help but think I should and then reroll into very specific guns I know I will likely keep for my lifetime. A prime example of this would be a handful of AR15's. They are amazing weapons, and are perfect for what they were bought for... but am I just grab my KAC every single time. Is the right approach to sell those other AR's that NEVER get used and roll them into a SR25?

Or, pistols like my Smith 52, German P210, and a handful of semi custom guns that I have. Truth is, I NEVER grab these to shoot... Its always my Chambers, Marvels, and Bunker guns that get brought with me. Is it smarter to sell off these guns and just roll them into another custom gun built for me exactly the way I want it.

There are so many examples I can use of this in my collection. Its a sellers market, so grabbing some of the funds I have wrapped up in this sounds logical. When it comes to custom guns, I really dont think this wave of nonsense has caused much spike, as we are getting into a pretty niche market.

Have any of you addicts faced this? How have you approached it. For those of you who have sold and consolidated, any regrets? For those who have decided to keep everything you have cuz reasons... Do you find yourself reassessing and reconsidering?

See less See more
#60 ·
Dave, your question on the thread didn't address anyone, however, I was the only one to mention 1000yrd shooting. I was saving pennies up for A GA Precision in 6.5. I want to stick to the AR platform, unless things go to hades in a handbasket. If new rules limits AR then I will settle for the Ruger Precision bolt gun. Boring, but Improvise, adapt and overcome.

#61 ·
Dave, your question on the thread didn't address anyone, however, I was the only one to mention 1000yrd shooting. I was saving pennies up for A GA Precision in 6.5. I want to stick to the AR platform, unless things go to hades in a handbasket. If new rules limits AR then I will settle for the Ruger Precision bolt gun. Boring, but Improvise, adapt and overcome.
Yes,
Thanks for noticing, we shoot 1000 Yd Benchrest at Williamsport PA, it is quite a lot of fun. If you get down to the PA area we shoot 10 matches a year April - September. I would be happy to set you up and you can give it a whirl. I know it is a wee bit far from Illinois.

Dave

#64 ·
The year 2020 is my first year into gun ownership. I only have 4 guns, but I can already tell it's no longer fun cleaning all these guns after every trip to the range.

Bringing all my guns is necessary, because I'm still in the process of learning which ammo will and will not work for each of my guns.

You guys may think this is stupid, but my laziness to clean several guns at a time will surely play a role in my future gun purchase decisions.:p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.