1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many stunning wood grips are shown in the forum. The Smooth grips really show off the wood but are too slick for my use.

How do the partially textured (checkered or stippled) grips feel and how is their “grippiness” compared to fully textured versions?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
They are definitely comfortable in the hand and can add some traction, especially when
coupled with an aggressive checkering. I sometimes shoot thePro with these from Bob and find the combination to be comfortable and controllable:
5762AAB9-753D-4750-B10B-5AD0E4781734.jpeg

With that said, I prefer the aesthetics of either a fully textured pair or smooth pair. Also, for any prolonged shooting I do I used fully checkered or VZ. Since you are used to textured I would first start with a fully checkered or stippled pair and go from there. Recommendations would be high figure grips or wood caliber for checkering and Cherokee hills for stippled. Of course Craig spegel for checkering as well if you can find them or wait for them.

·
Edge of Glory
148 Posts
Not a wood grip guy, but when I was, I found ranger grips like these to be more than enough grip.

2EF9A79C-0581-434D-A7CE-E14A14C30739.jpeg

·
Registered
71 Posts
I run Ahrends Tactical grips, much like the Ranger grips in the previous post. Unfortunately Ahrends is now out of business. I'll have to try the Rangers.

On to the original question. I really like the half or partial checkering. These are smooth when gripping the gun and provide sufficient surface texture (for me) to hang on to. I also really like the look.

Jim

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have a set of Bob's organic stippled ironwood grips on my Officer. I really like the grip, but it's a carry gun, so I also appreciate the smooth against my skin. Also, they look incredible.

That said, both my frontstrap and my MSH are nicely stippled, which matches well, doesn't chew up my shirts, and has more than enough (comfortable) grip. Grip is not a problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts