How Kimber Warrior compares to Range Officer or Dan Wesson's Valor ?

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by .38 Super, Dec 15, 2011.

1. .38 Super

.38 Super New Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Gentlemen, I'm looking for advice for a friend of mine in Europe, the guy is a firearms instructor and he come across a gov. size Kimber Warrior, rail gun that he like but he ( and me too) doesn't know much about cons and pros with this particular gun, I also cannot help because I never had Kimber.
    Here is a link to the actual gun: https://www.waffen-ferkinghoff.de/d...arrior+5"&catid=265&Hersteller=Kimber&pID=919

If it's possible, would you help me with a link to a good review, maybe someone will share short opinion on it.
    He is interested how it compares to the DV's Valor or the S-feeld's Range Officer ... ?

Your help will be greatly appreciated, best regards.

2. EdS

EdS Member

Sep 21, 2011
    I've had one... it was a solid performer. For what its worth, most of the kimbers I've owned in the past performed well. Good accuracy, reliable performance. For a higher end factory gun.

Having said that... I would be hard pressed to put it in the same catagory with a DW valor. The valor.. my opinion... is in the same league as guns costing upwards of $2500 from the other major semi custom folks. I would not feel bad if I got a Valor instead of say.. a les baer, Ed Brown, Wilson, ect... I'm not saying that to disparage those brands. I'm saying that because I think the Valor is a VERY good 1911 for the $1500 or so it costs.

3. .38 Super

.38 Super New Member

Dec 15, 2011
    EdS, thanks for your opinion, another quick question: What is the relation of Dan Wesson and CZ ? I see it listed in their catalog ?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  4. Haraise

Haraise A=A

Dec 10, 2011
    CZ owns DW, and it's so much better for it.

5. ajstrider

ajstrider Active Member

Sep 15, 2011
    I concur, the Warrior is a nice pistol, but not in the same league as the Valor.

6. deadguy

deadguy Charlie Daniels Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    Here's a review for your friend.
    http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=127867

Does your friend need or want a railed 1911? Only the Kimber has this out of these 3. If he does, it's the Kimber. If not, I would say Dan Wesson based on features and quality over the Springfield.

I have never fired a Range Officer, but I currently own a Kimber and a Valor Bobtail. Both are very accurate and both have been a joy to shoot. The Dan Wesson is fit better and feels more like a quality pistol in the hand than the Kimber does.

7. .38 Super

.38 Super New Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Thank you all for your input, best regards.

8. Bugs

Bugs Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Kimber NO THANKS. QC is horrible. Way overpriced; hey you get to pay for their 2 page advertising in every gun mag on the planet. Many better choices out there. For a little more you can get a Baer. How does Kimber compare... It Does Not.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  9. 50GI-Jess

50GI-Jess Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Yes, the 1911 market today can be very confusing, especially if you're new to this world of options.

Good looking 1911's are selling real well. Often times some 1911 manufacturing companies, change the grips, sights, finish and make some famcy machine cuts, and sell their basic 1911 as a "new" type 1911. Often endorsed by SWAT, SF or something down that line. All good and dandy, but the mechanics remain the same.

One has to remember, that certain 1911 has their base price for a reason. What this boils down to, is pretty much GI style out of the box, semi-custom and full blown custom 1911's.
    I spend countless hours in competition shooting. These days, we see more and more new members joining due to getting CCW's. This being either IPSC or IDPA. Many times, this new gunowners will learn about the quality of their guns the hard way.
    They usually show up the first time with 1911's in the $1000 to 1500 price range. Always telling us long time competition shooters, that the sales associate at the gun store, said this was new 1911 they bought, was one of the best on the market today etc.
    Of course some semi custom 1911's work flawless, but most of the time their flaws will surface rather quickly when shooting 1000 rds.+ a month.
    By the time all the bugs have been worked out, they realize they have another $300 to 500 into this "dandy" gun that was the best on the market. Soon after they usually sell the gun and upgrade to a full custom 1911, and use the older one as backup or for plinking at home.

Most folks like to pay for what they can see...not what they can't see! Unfortunately in this case, the important stuff on 1911's is on the inside. Nothing wrong with fancy looking machinework, ivory grips, $200 mag-wells and hard chromed finish, but if that is the only thing you have paid for, then don't expect the inside to be as "fancy" as well.

over the years I have come to think of 1911's this way:

Basic GI style : You never know exactly what you're going to get, and how it works.

Semi-custom : Most will work 60-70% of the time, but don't have that right "feel"

Full-custom : Works 99% of the time, looks like a Rolex and has the "feel" to it.

Like anything else in life, you get what you pay for. Shortcuts usually don't pay off. It's OK to have a malfunction in the local IDPA match, but not when your life is on the line.

Well, just a morning thought with my coffee.

10. dilespla

dilespla Never made it to step 12 Supporting Addict

Oct 12, 2011
  11. .38 Super

.38 Super New Member

Dec 15, 2011
    I agree completely ... This friend of mine is very good IPSC shooter, I don't think hell need this particular gun for competition but all of your input is very well appreciated.
    BTW, I'm great fan of the GI work, hope to see your booth in the Shot Show in Vegas next month ... one of those days I'll have one of your guns ... :thumb:

12. 50GI-Jess

50GI-Jess Member

Aug 24, 2011
    At GI we are often asked how we rate one custom 1911 brand compared to the other. We don't get into the name and blame game at all. Everone has different expectations and needs, and all that matters in the end, is if the customer is happy with whatever they buy.

Not sure we'll make it to Vegas this year..simply to busy hacking up steel.

13. .38 Super

.38 Super New Member

Dec 15, 2011
    It's shame...it's going to be my second year there, I enjoyed all the 1911 manufacturers...it's my favorite system...

14. Carolinaboy

Carolinaboy Aim Small Miss Small Supporting Addict

Sep 17, 2011
    Agree 100%

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted