How many if y'all have an SA EMP?

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by ZoidMeister, Jan 7, 2019.

Tags:
  1. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    Which model did you spring for? Now that you have owned it for a while, what are your pro's and con's of that particular version?

Perusing Springfield's website, I see a lot of variations. I happen across one local to me and just had to bring it home. Mine is the EMP4 Contour Carry - 9mm, 4" barrel.

Now I'm curious about the other variants.

Springer EMP Contour-01.jpg

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    Stk218, jimmy james, Capthobo and 5 others like this.
  2. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    I'm curious about these as well.

ZoidMeister likes this.

3. Stogies

Stogies One more please!

Aug 22, 2015
    3inch model with a number of upgrades.
    It's a great gun, never had an issue with it

ZoidMeister likes this.
  4. walleyemonster

walleyemonster Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2017
    Zoid, I owned the same exact version except it had the standard butt profile. Only issue with it was the firing pin hole was off center. Sent it back to SA to bush and redrill. It was an excellent pistol, and 100% reliable when it came back. Very, very accurate for a 3" barrel. I gifted it to my daughter, and miss it immensely.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  5. SparkyAZ

SparkyAZ It is a dry heat, right... Supporting Addict

Sep 11, 2012
    EMP4 without the "Carry Bob"...
    Lightweight pistol, solid performer, carries easily. I do like the carry magazines with the flat steel base rather than the style pictured.
    EMP4.jpeg

xerts1191, ORShooter and ZoidMeister like this.
  6. fieldgrade

fieldgrade resident crank

Mar 13, 2017
    I've shot several. Great shooters. I'd own one if I could put a magwell on it without cutting and welding.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  7. azpoolguy

azpoolguy Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2013
    I built this up. Carried it and shot it 1k rounds and sold it to fund the BEC G19 with an RMR. F41C221D-7996-4C44-B5A0-0ABD29789050.jpeg I had some issues that were corrected by Springfield. I didn’t like how it balanced on the belt line. I made a couple holsters to try and get it lower but the size of the gun caused more hot spots while carrying IWB then a larger gun. I did like the weight as it was one full pound lighter then my full size 1911. I would like to try the EMP4 but I’m perfectly happy with a G19 for the size and capacity.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  8. RatBikeRod

RatBikeRod You Don’t Know Me!

Nov 22, 2017
    I had the very first original 9mm EMP they brought out. Was a very nice gun, but like all of the bull barrels I have owned, I hated the takedown and ultimately sold them.

The other thing is that, for the weight, I was just as happy carrying my 15-17 round SIG’s.

Single stack 9’s are not my jam at all. If I was going that way I would only do it with a 38 Super.

All that said, it was a great gun and I always shot it well. If you don’t mind the takedown and single stack items, the small ones are really nice. I like the look of the EMP 4 as well.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  9. ZoidMeister

Dec 4, 2014
    A couple of things I have discovered thus far.

The magazine catch spring that came on mine was exceedingly stiff. I swapped the stock spring out with a spring I got in an Ed Brown rebuild kit. Huge improvement.

Second discovery is a plus. The magazine catch on this EMP is standard size. I am a fan of the extended mag catch and was concerned about compatibility. Good news is this part is compatible with full size 1911's. I may order an extended mag catch, but with the improvement made by swapping out the spring, I may not need to do that.

ronin11 likes this.
  10. BennyAdeline

BennyAdeline Official Hi-Point Brand Representative

Nov 26, 2018
    Nice pick up Z

ZoidMeister likes this.
  11. azpoolguy

azpoolguy Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2013
    The only parts that aren’t standard 1911 size are those that run parallel to the barrel and are in the frame and slide around the grip.

The plunger tube and spring, extractor, trigger bow , grips, firing pin / spring and mags are smaller by about 1/8”.

The disco, sear, hammer, mag catch thin grip bushings and pins are all standard 1911.

fieldgrade and ZoidMeister like this.
  12. WC145

WC145 Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!

Jan 1, 2013
    I've got one of the original EMP4s, have had it since shortly after they came out. I haven't shot it much, my son shoots it in Single Stack so he's been shooting it far more than me. Haven't had any trouble with it, it's accurate and reliable and a solid gun for the money. Have used 115gr FMJ almost exclusively and have never had any kind of a gun or ammo induced failure. It's been a great gun for him, though he'll eventually grow out of it. The only things I've done to it, other than clean and lube it, was to black out the white dots on the rear sight and swap out the grips for something a little nicer looking.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  13. ZoidMeister

Dec 4, 2014
    Yeah, I used to own a G19. I didn't like the ergonomics of the grip at all. The lack of a thumb safety also bothered me. I guess I am just a 1911 die hard.

The take down of a bull barrel 1911 is a non-issue for me. I don't find it any worse that a standard barrel, or a full length guide rod for that matter either. I don't shoot in competitions or anything, so I am agnostic on the disassembly procedures. Like others have said, any 1911 is easier to take down than most other handguns.

To me so far, this EMP4 Contour Carry is everything I hoped the G19 would have been.

Dwe likes this.
  14. Mike0251

Mike0251 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 25, 2016
    Zoid these were my wife's guns. I still have them and they have functioned perfectly. She used to shoot that 9mm till the cows came home too. Well made and no issues. Interesting to note is the 9mm has a 3.1 LB trigger from the factory that is so sweet. The 40 has a 4.75 trigger. 20190107_102054.jpg

xerts1191 and ORShooter like this.
  15. TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot

TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot I do not consent.

Dec 28, 2017
    Have an original EMP 3" and EMP Carry Contour 4". 9mm.

Now that both have been to SA to correct significant mfg defects they had when new, both seem to be pretty good guns. Haven't shot the 3" much since it's return.

In general they are light, pretty accurate, pretty easy to shoot.

As someone noted earlier, SA made a *bunch* of these, all models, with firing pins way off center in the past few years. If yours doesn't have that you're probably good to go.

TBH I would not recommend this gun to an inexperienced shooter. SA's quality control is just too sh1tty. But the experienced shooter who knows what to look for when buying used, or doesn't mind the 50/50 chance of having to send the new gun back to SA is probably fine.

Having said that, I do carry my 4" quite a bit now, so I am not afraid of it. I know what was broke and I know it was fixed.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

16. ZoidMeister

Dec 4, 2014
    I'll measure mine a little later today and report back . . . . .

@Mike0251

EDIT: mine is measuring in at 4.0 LBS even. I will see if I can improve that a bit.

EDIT 2: Parts compatibility confirmation. Sear springs are identical with standard frames and the countour mainspring housing is close to identical to the Ed Brown bobtail specs. I tried dropping in a MSH from EB I had lying around. The pin location is exceedingly close. I think I could "hammer" it in, but I didn't feel like going that far.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot and Mike0251 like this.
  17. july19

july19 Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled. Supporting Addict

Sep 16, 2013
    I wild have access to the 9mm iteration if my daughter would buy one.

18. Mike0251

Mike0251 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 25, 2016
    Well dad there is only one answer to that, you should buy her one! And give her a big hug too!

19. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015
    I had the originally 3" EMP, Limbkiller has it now, I never had an issue with it for what it was.

ronin11 and limbkiller like this.
  20. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Still shoots great.

IMG_20181005_183814444.jpg

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted