How many rounds do you shoot each range trip, and how often?

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by 2001SportTJ, Dec 19, 2011.

1. 2001SportTJ

2001SportTJ 1911 Totin' Redneck!

Sep 17, 2011
    I went to the range earlier today and noticed that in the time that I was there about 5 or 6 guys came in after I did and left way before I did. I didn't really think anything about it at the time but after I left I started thinking about it and was thinking they couldn't have put any more than maybe 100 rounds downrange. When I go to the range I usually put between 400-600 rounds downrange. I try to make it to the range every week but sometimes I miss a week.

So, fellow addicts, when you go to the range how many rounds do you shoot and how often do you go?

2. Samcro

Samcro US Army Retired 1911 Supporting Addict

Nov 19, 2011
    We make a day of it , God only knows how many as there is about 10 of us that go together.

Sam

3. CMG

CMG Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Minimum of 90 rounds. I shoot the IDPA classifier (in my "back yard").

I try to shoot it once a week, but sometimes weather gets in the way.

4. E39

E39 Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Oct 15, 2011
    Usually 100 to 250 rounds. I'm usually adjusting/trying out something different each time. Once I get everything dialed in maybe 200 rounds since it's fun. I go to the (indoor) range at least once every 2 weeks. Cheaper than any other kind of therapy.

5. 1911fanatic

1911fanatic Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2011
    If I take my 1911's, then all the ammo I have on hand, because they're so damn fun to shoot. That is usually anywhere between 100-300 rds. More if I go to private property.

6. asiparks

asiparks Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    BK, ( before Kids ), and i was a care free frivolous bachelor, I'd go at least every other week, more in the summer, and blow through 500 rounds of .45 and a couple of hundred 9mm.
    Now I'm lucky to get out once every other month and shoot 500 :Cry:
    I badly want to take all my pistols and rifles at once so I can at least get a mag or two through each, but I can't get a shopping cart down the hillside to the bays....

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  7. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Deer hunting 40-50 days a year and bass fishing 20-30 days a year cut back on my shooting time. Still go about once a month and shoot 400-500rds. Go 2-3 times a year and shoot 5,000-8,000 rds a shoot. Love the big shoots.

[​IMG]

8. John Ryder

John Ryder Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    I go once, sometimes twice a week and will usually shoot no more than 150-250 rounds at a time. I've found anything more was either too time consuming or just making noise without a purpose. It's about quality, not quantity for me.

9. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    I love making noise. The farm we shoot the big shoots on the farmer has a couple of neighbors who had Odumbo signs up and hate guns. They hate us when we shoot. Typical city a$$holes who buy 5 acres in the country and think they are cool. We shoot there dogs while hunting as they dig holes in his alfalfa feilds and chase the deer at night. We all shoot every dog other than those with electronic collars on them. Everybody I know shoots those kind of dogs.

10. deadguy

deadguy Eddie Van Halen Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    Limited chances to go shoot for me, so I try to get in a combined total between 10mm and 45acp somewhere around 400-800 in one session.

11. c.helm

c.helm Active Member

Sep 7, 2011
    I like to shoot between 100 and 300 rounds a week. That sure doesn't happen though. It's been about 100-300 per month.

12. Dennis1209

Dennis1209 New Member

Oct 14, 2011

^^^^ Ditto ^^^^

13. JaPes

JaPes Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 27, 2011
    I always attempt to go to the range once a week. Lately due to the holidays, it's been more like once every three weeks.

Whatever major caliber gun I bring (9mm, 38/357, .380, .45ACP, etc...) I'll bring 150 rounds with the intention of only using 100.

I'll also bring along a Ruger MKIII or 22/45RP & a McFadden Ultimate Clip Loader. I'll go through a brick of .22lr in a range session. I'll warm up with .22lr and end the session with .22lr.

14. DeadEye

DeadEye Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Once a week... 300 to 400 rounds per visit. Less in cold or rainy weather. Range closed month of Nov for hunting season... no shooting. One day I'm going to have a range in my back yard...

15. 2001SportTJ

2001SportTJ 1911 Totin' Redneck!

Sep 17, 2011
    :eek: Wow. I only wish that I could ever have a get together like that.

I should have added in my original post that I usually shoot 9mm, 45 and ever since I got my AK74, 5.45x39(sometimes 30-30, 30-06, or 38-55). I usually shoot 200 rounds out of each gun that I bring unless it is my 1894 Winchester that was my Grandfathers, I usually only put about 25-50 rounds through it.

16. Blue Ridge

Blue Ridge Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    I average 500 rounds of .22 per outing, centerfire I'm much more reserved with, maybe a hundred rounds total indoors. Outdoors, it all depends on what we get into.

LK, I love ya man, but unless you mean coyotes, please don't shoot dogs.

17. too_pure

too_pure Employed

Nov 9, 2011
    200 rounds, maybe more. .45 and .357, varying proportions but always more .45. Up until mid-October I was going weekly. Not as much lately. Holidays. Birthdays. Etc. January will bring my routine back.

18. DAT85

DAT85 BIG OL' BALD HAID ! Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    When I am breaking in a Les Baer,about 500rds a session until th 1k mark is reached! :biggrin1:

Just a range session,100-200rds.My range is a 19mile(1 way) drive into KY,so I don't get out as much as I should.
    And,during the winter,I usually take a couple of months off.Gives me a chance to build up some .45 acp for the warm weather.

DAT85

19. TSiWRX

TSiWRX Member

Aug 21, 2011
    I don't get out nearly as much as I want to, but I try to make it a point to go at least once every two weeks, Fall-to-Spring. Spring through Fall, I take training classes, so I'm often shooting much more frequently.

For static indoor range-work, if I'm trying to prove the reliability of a new SD/HD pistol, I'll just dump rounds downrange: usually no less than 500 to 600 per trip (I reserve time to work on my basic pistolcraft). If I'm there to work on basic static pistolcraft, I'm pretty much shooting just one pistol, and I'll bring about 150 to 200 rounds, going through less than 100. Endurance-wise, I probably have about four and 1/2 hours of good static pistol shooting in me, probably in the range of 500 rounds. I've taken some back-to-back static pistolcraft classes of two hours' duration, each, and I was still very much on-target at the end.

20. 50GI-Jess

50GI-Jess Member

Aug 24, 2011
    I'm fortunate and basically live on a 24/7 shooting range. In the winter season, where there's no weekly Steel Challenge, IDPA or IPSC, I usually shoot between 30 and 50 rounds a day. Also in the winter time, I shoot some of my regular guns that I never use for competition. Kind of feel guilty about all the guns I own, but rarely shoot.

On the other hand, in the summer time I shoot app. 500 to 700 rds. weekly. This in competition and on my home range, where I got targets set up everywhere. This area I'm in, sounds like II-WW most of the time, because my neighbor happens to be WC, and they testfire constantly.

All my other neighbores don't even know the meaning of anti-gun...or so it seems.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted