How Much is My Hi Power Worth ?

Discussion in 'Autoloaders' started by Nalajr, Jul 16, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Nalajr

Nalajr Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2015
    Hey all.
    I’d like to get some ideas and thoughts about my Hi Power Pistol and how much it’s worth in today’s market.

I’ve got a brand new, without box, FN HI Power in 9mm. It’s blued on the slide and matte on the frame. I bought it new when CDNN was blowing them out many years ago. It came from the factory with the SFS firing system installed, which I like.

Right after I got it, I wanted the magazine safety removed and I couldn’t do it myself so I sent it out to a guy that was doing work to get his name out there. I had him stipple the front and back straps while he had it and when he refinished it, I had him do it in matte. That’s why the whole pistol isn’t blued now like it came from the factory. I also have a nice set of Spegel grips on it too.

It feels great, looks great and I am not looking to sell it. When I bought it I think it was $450 or so, maybe a bit less. It has not been shot.

The reason I am asking is because last week I was reading a post one one of these forums where someone had asked about buying a Hi Power and what he might be able to get one for. One if the guys that answered him told him that a few weeks ago they saw an FN just like mine with the factory SFS and box sell for $1,700 !!

When I saw that I was shocked. In no way would I have guessed this Hi Power would bring that kind of money. I know it’s nice, but $1,700???

So, I’d just like to get an idea of what this pistol would sell for today. If it did turn out to be worth that much, I just might have to re-evaluate my position cause I could get a DREAM 1911 that I’ve wanted for the longest time with that kinda money. Well, it would go a long way towards getting one that I have lusted after for years.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your time and help.

2. pistolwretch

pistolwretch Dremel jockey Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    Sorry, but a STUPID question with no pictures.

3. Raylan Givens

Raylan Givens Never Forget

Aug 18, 2015
    It would sell to me on today for $200 and an autographed picture. Tell me where to send the money.

Rick McC. likes this.
  4. Green Dragoon

Green Dragoon Active Member

May 6, 2020
    The values of HPs vary greatly depending on year, version, where it was manufactured etc.

You basically said “I have a Chevy with mods. How much is it worth?”

Rick McC. and Babboonbobo like this.
  5. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2017
    Agree, pictures are critical. However some mods may detract from the price depending. I see the prices High Powers are bringing since the production was shut down. $1700 is unusual.

6. tiburonaz

tiburonaz Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Apr 10, 2016
    BHPs are selling on GB for $1700 - $2000 (or more), but this price is usually for a dead mint T series with correct pouch and manual.

You have a nice Hi Power that will be a great shooter, but the mods will likely decrease the overall value when compared to the same pistol that is NIB without modifications.

With that said, you may still get a tidy sum for your pistol given the current market, irregardless of modifications. Selling closer to election time may further increase the amount you receive.

7. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
  8. switchback

switchback Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2014
    I'm a BH-P guy, always have been, Soon after they were discontinued, never to return from FN, prices went sky high, but seem to have settled back down. There are ALOT of hi powers in circulation. So with no pictures, mods change everything of course, the big money versions are unmolested T series, or wartime era if military collector. A run of the mill mk 2 or 3 without box and a refinish, hard to say but I very recently picked up locally a nice shooter grade mk2 without box but all original for $550. Also , at the begining of cororna, I sold a LNIB mk3 that I purchased new a decade earlier and sold recently for $1K. So, and not trying to be a smart-azz, they're worth what someone will pay. Or in the motorcycle world we say, there's an azz for every seat.

MY .02, don't sell it, hard to replace. You own it and it don't eat hay. You'll get nowhere near $1700 for it, but what do I know. Good luck with your decision.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
  9. Soundguy

Soundguy Member

Jan 18, 2018
    My wild guess is $900 or so. Maybe less. Unfortunately there is only one way to ever know! With the original plastic case, papers, tools, unmolested and basically in Like New condition... maybe you could hit that $1700 high mark. I would want to buy it for around $500.

I have a .40 SFS in blue (LNIB) from the CDNN closeout. It cost $399 and has fewer than 100 rounds through it. I would hope it would bring $1500... but I'm not planning on selling it.

You should keep it and remember your wise decision to pick it up all those years ago!

ZoidMeister likes this.
  10. WVsig

WVsig Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2018
    I will give you my $.02 but remember what you paid for them and there are no refunds. LOL

FN rollmarked BHPs that were sold at CDNN for between $400 to $500 are somewhat of a rare bird. Relative to other rollmarks there are not a lot of them. I have no idea of the actual number in circulation but the majority of BHPs imported into the US have the Browning Rollmark. These guns were advertised as "All Belgian" guns which is blatantly false. They do not have the assembled in Portugal markings but that is where they were assembled just like every other FN/BHP since about 1975ish. The SFS is IMHO a solution looking for a problem. It was installed in BHPs so they could enter them into the US Army pistol trials that were won by Beretta as a DA/SA gun. They were IIRC disqualified. These pistols were then marketed to LEO who did not allow SAO duty guns. To my knowledge no major department ever fielded the SFS guns and they were then liquidated by CDNN. The factory gloss bluing on these guns was pretty nice. IIRC

There are at least 2 different version of the FN USA imports. One will have a import location of Columbia, SC the other will have Fredericksburg, VA. FN has offices in both locations. The modern FN rollmark seen on the pistol below is not that attractive IMHO. There are some with no logo at all. You can see this one shows Columbia, SC.

The import mark varied from ok to it was done by a blind person with 3 fingers on each hand. No offense meant to 3 finger or blind people. On a side note if anyone has a Fredericksburg 9mm that they want to part with please PM me. I used to live there and would love to have a custom BHP with that import stamp. This devalues the pistol somewhat but there is a silver lining.

[​IMG]

The one thing that make this version of the FN BHP more valuable than others is that the serial number is not on the grip strap. It is located above the grip. This means you can checker the front and rear straps. They are the only MKIII guns outside of the Practical and hard chrome versions that have their serial not on the front grip strap. T series and some early C series can be checkered because their serial numbers are below the ejection port. I know that Mr Yost will build on these guns. So people looking for a heavy use BHP as a base gun for checkering covet these guns.

Now to the OP. There are 3 things which harm the overall value of your gun:

First is the SFS system. Lots people like myself do not like it. It can be removed and replaced with standard parts but for many it is still a negative and to replace those parts and refit a safety etc... you are looking at $200-$400 depending on what part you use and who does the work.

Second the mismatched finish could be a negative. Pics will determine that. A lot of people like Don Williams, Ted Yost, the late Jim Garthwaite do BHPs with polished flats and matte rounds. It gives the pistol a beautiful yet functional quality. If the entire slide is gloss blue it will be too much of a contrast for some.

Third issue is that the gun has already been customized. The stippling is a nice modification but now the gun cannot be checkered. Knowing the name of the smith who did the work can help recover value here. A no-name smith vs Don Williams is going to net the seller a different price. IHMO

So as to value. You very may well be able to get $1700 because the BHP market is wonky still but with a semi-custom gun like this you will have to match the buyers wants/needs. If the gun was stock with no modifications in LNIB condition it would sell quickly at $900-$1000 to someone looking for a base gun to checker. Plus $100-$150 for the Spegels depending on what wood and grade they are. The SFS would not matter because they are going to gut the gun anyway.

As the gun sits now with the modification it has lost some value but gained some value. I would say if you found the right buyer you have a $1,200 to $1,400 gun but it could easily drop to $1000 + the Spegels because it does not match what "buyer" ideally wants. If I was are going to pay $1700 for a custom BHP I would want to spec the customization myself. I would but a $600 base gun and have Don Williams do his tactical package plus and minus a few things for $1200.

If you want a 1911 more than the BHP list it at $1700 and see you someone goes for it. Maybe do a reserve auction on Gun Broker which is the source of most of the inflated pricing being quoted these days. Good luck post some pics and I can give you more of my $.02 LMAO

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
    Slapshot, ronin11, SparkyAZ and 2 others like this.
  11. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    And I'll pay the bill on that one . . . . .

Z

2 cents.JPG

Uncle Bob, Babboonbobo and WVsig like this.
  12. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    I’ll take you .02 as most are worth more than the BHP;)
    83A00D05-829A-4316-A2B5-2226577F03F0.jpeg

Uncle Bob, WVsig and ZoidMeister like this.
  13. pistolwretch

pistolwretch Dremel jockey Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    A very educational thread!
    So what we have learned is that the half-power in question is worth from $300 to $1800.
    And you can take this knowledge to the bank!

14. WVsig

WVsig Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2018
    These days even BHPs that have been dragged behind and Israeli tank are getting $550 on GB. I blows my mind when I see what people are paying for surplus that has been road hard and put away wet.

It blows my mind because people treat them as if they are a rare handgun. There are so many in the market place there is no need to panic buy one but FOMO is strong with the BHP these day.

ZoidMeister and switchback like this.
  15. WVsig

WVsig Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2018
    1L26 and ZoidMeister like this.
  16. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    What is crazy is a gun that one year ago was selling for $400-$650 all day long and for the $650 you could expect a really really nice one... Are selling today for anywhere between $1000-$2500 Now back a year ago there were some worth that, hard to find, collectible rarish but, come on. Okay so they discontinued them. They only made like a kazillion of the dang things and everybody and their brother that could copy them did. Not to say there isn't some value to yours OP just saying it's insane that with as many of them as there are in existence that the sale value would more than triple because they got discontinued..

Uncle Bob, Rick McC. and WVsig like this.
  17. WVsig

WVsig Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2018
    What kills me is the only market that was effected by FN discontinuing production was new NIB MKIIIs. The other variants and configurations were already a fixed market. The part that has driven up the surplus market is that the best examples are gone. Too many of todays surplus are beat up. Lucky for me I have a few already.

[​IMG]

Slapshot, 1L26, ronin11 and 7 others like this.
  18. switchback

switchback Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2014
    This and I'm not a lucky person, why I don't gamble. Walked into a LGS 4 or 5 months ago and they were just putting under glass a very nice, original mk2. No box, no biggie, 1 mecgar mag , but I have a box of H-P mags; all function and safety checks were fine, dull but even finish, the plastic thumb rest grips. Out the door with me in under 5 minutes for $550. Now I realize I didn't steal it but darn it I wanted, no I needed another H-P (like a hole in the head) so thats my addition to this thread. Hard to be specific on value without pics. And with the mods, who knows?

WVsig, great info and article you wrote and I couldn't agree more. Out of all the H-Ps I've owned, like a dozen and a half or so, I never had, and always wanted, an FN marked model. Most everyone thinks because it doesn't have roll marked "assembled in Portugal" its a Belgium pistol. I've argued this fact with countless type 73, good pistols, owners.

ZoidMeister and Integrity Arms like this.
  19. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    What only one Practical? Lol the 6:00 pistol is smokin~!! Also sorry I must be blind I see a few more in there lol

20. SparkyAZ

SparkyAZ It is a dry heat, right... Supporting Addict

Sep 11, 2012
    Always outstanding to see your photos @WVsig
    Thanks for sharing...

WVsig likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted