How much trouble am I asking for?

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by ZoidMeister, May 27, 2019.

1. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    Gents,

I've never worked on revolvers before other than changing out grips. I have been thinking of picking up a target hammer for the S&W Model 19-3 I picked up earlier this year and changing out the stock hammer.

Is this fairly straightforward or will I be beating my head against the wall before I finish?

Your sage advice is eternally appreciated.

@Joni Lynn ?

Z

2. mikegalway

mikegalway CEO of DILLIGAF industries Supporting Addict

Feb 23, 2014
    Easy . Many videos on youtube . I recommend Jerry Miculek's .

boatdoc, Slapshot, FWoo45 and 3 others like this.

3. SparkyAZ

SparkyAZ It is a dry heat, right... Supporting Addict

Sep 11, 2012
    Just make very sure that you purchase a target hammer of the same vintage. S&W made a K frame target hammer in quite a few different variations...

FWoo45 likes this.
  4. HooDoo Man

HooDoo Man Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 26, 2017
    You really what to mess with the Mod 19? Is there something you don't like about the hammer now?

5. rmac

rmac Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 26, 2016
    Zoid, at the shoot on Saturday I'll remove the side plate on one of mine and show you what to watch out for. The double action sear may need a bit of fitting. Better that you see in person.
    Later, Ron

cgff, livinthelife, wrmiller and 2 others like this.
  6. ZoidMeister

Dec 4, 2014
    The Model 19 I picked up has the wide target trigger but has the standard width hammer. It seems unbalanced.

That would be awesome. The 19 I have was born in 1973. It has an insanely light trigger, both single and double action.

Single action break is about 2.0 lbs. Double action is right at 6.0 lbs.

cgff, gps man and rmac like this.
  7. SLAM37

SLAM37 Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2016
    Recommend watching this video from Brownells on how to remove the side plate properly. If you try to pry it off you will likely do damage to that beautifully fit seam. Also, would recommend not dry-firing without the side plate installed as you can do damage to the frame's hammer channel and other things if parts are not aligned properly.

It is do-able on your own the first time if you have finesse, patience and the right technique/approach and tools, but IMO it is best done the first time with the help of someone knowledgeable ... especially if it is a pristine condition piece.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  8. fieldgrade

fieldgrade resident crank

Mar 13, 2017
    FWIW, That's not stock. I had a 1974 Model 19-3 and mine wouldn't run at that sort of pull. Although the previous owner had shaved a couple of coils off the rebound spring. I'd be inclined to leave yours alone if it runs good. Mine wouldn't run right till I put it back to stock springs.

SLAM37 likes this.
  9. pistolpete

pistolpete Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2016
    I don't know how hard it is to fit a hammer. I installed a regular trigger to replace one someone had ground smooth, didn't work, needed fitting. I expect the hammer will also need to be fitted.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  10. ZoidMeister

Dec 4, 2014
    For sure my Model 19 has had some smithing done to it. There are a few tool marks on the hammer it's fitted with. It also has a pinned gold bead front sight.

I will be bringing that revolver to @limbkiller 's shoot for further evaluation. I have the original box and docs for it.

livinthelife, gps man and Badabing11 like this.
  11. Badabing11

Badabing11 I gotta have more cowbell

Sep 6, 2015
    Please check me back and let us know of any learnings , Zoid.

I’ve always been afraid to get into my revolver .

ZoidMeister likes this.
  12. ZoidMeister

Dec 4, 2014
    A couple of photos of the revolver in question.

100_3554.JPG

100_3560.JPG 100_3572.JPG
    100_3567.JPG

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted