How much weak hand training

Discussion in 'Training' started by *Double Diamond Colt*, Aug 4, 2020.

Tags:
  1. *Double Diamond Colt*

*Double Diamond Colt* Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2020
    Just wondering how much weak hand training you guys are doing .

I shoot between 500 and 700 rounds out of various 1911 a week depending on work and weather
    I shoot a couple strings weak hand every practice session and try to dedicate one full practice session a week to shooting weak hand along with shooting a 1911 in each hand at plates 10yrds away . I try to make half the practice precise Bullseye and the rest action type at plates . My weak hand practice is all done with one hand

Every practice session starts with 50 to 100 rounds out of one of my 22s shot strong and weak hand . By using this method I have managed to develop some decent accuracy and control with my weak hand .
    What you guys are using as training methods to develop the weak hand

2. villdetwink

villdetwink ...Terminal Addict Supporting Addict

May 1, 2019
    Sounds like you have a good handle on your training.

I don't really have a dedicated training plan set for weak hand shooting. I usually just work in a magazine or two per session with strong hand only and weak hand only.

Up until all the ammo started disappearing I was shooting 500-600rds a week, lately I have been rationing the stash and have only been averaging 250-300rds a week.
    I have thought about picking up another 22 just for training purposes... maybe I will some day.

3. Sapper

Sapper Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 25, 2014
    Weak hand training is good, the big problem in training is that we can't replicate the issues that have caused us to be using that hand, ie something is broken, shot or just not working. I recently took a class from Jeff Gonzales of Trident Concepts and this came up as we did a lot of strong hand only shooting. Jeff explained that it is much more likely to have to shoot with only the strong side as the weak side can be used to direct kids, spouse, clear obstacles open doors etc. I will always do some sort of weak hand only to make sure if I do get shot or hurt it's not the first time I switch the gun over to fight.

villdetwink likes this.
  4. *Double Diamond Colt*

Jan 15, 2020
    I kind of got more into the weak hand training to give my strong hand a rest as I injured my elbow when I was young playing football .
    Now after 35yrs chainsaw , string trimmer ,and walkbehind mower use I have built up a powerful grip but my elbow is plain wore out and is the weak link when I over use it .

To begin with when my elbow was really tired I would get a small muscle spasm that would twitch the front sight of the gun up 1/4 of an inch but I still wanted to shoot so I started to work with my other hand and it became a real challenge .

One thing I have noticed is the sensitivity in my weak hand trigger finger is not nearly as perfected as in my strong hand . If there is the most infinitesimal amount of creep in any trigger I can feel it with my strong hand to the point it is almost like a curse . My weak hand pulls right through what high end gunsmiths call roll off and never feels it LOL

5. *Double Diamond Colt*

Jan 15, 2020
    I hear ya on the ammo in the process of restocking some now . Pickedup 1000 45 Ball and 1000 9mm 124gr yesterday but I need to restock some more primers and lead heads pronto

I do some revolver practice to with 38s along with the 22 practice .

Bought the shooting supply shop out of heads today all he had was 5000 and 2000 primers . things are getting bad

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
  6. jcc7x7

jcc7x7 Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2019
    What ever drills I'm doing freestyle
    I try to do 10% with my weak hand and same with Strong hand only
    So appox 20% of my shooting is SHO or WHO

7. Dave W.

Dave W. Active Member

Dec 22, 2019
    I do not have a particular regiment to use for weak hand shooting. But every range session I try to run a couple magazines with the weak hand, also run some with the non-dominant eye using each hand.

*Double Diamond Colt* likes this.
  8. 2tone

2tone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2018
    Usually I run a dot torture drill at some point during every range session, but that means I'll only get 5 rounds through my weak hand out of a 2-300 round range session. No bueno.

You've inspired me to do more, since there's always the very real possibility of having your strong hand taken out of the fight. This week I'll try a weak hand only range day, followed by some strength training over at this thread:
    https://www.1911addicts.com/threads/girls-and-guns-thread-nsfw.45674/page-2494

9. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2017
    Dry fire first. I strongly suggest you spend time with the sidearms you carry over a 22. If I'm shooting, I always shoot, weaver, triangulate (depending on what I'm shooting). Strong hand only and weak hand only ( which is actually my strong hand).

Then comes "how are you drawing? I go back to the old IPS three hand starting positions. Hands high (surrender), normal and hands hovering. And actually there's also hands clasped.

You never know what skills you may need when TSHTF.

Songcatcher and switchback like this.
  10. p7fl

p7fl Member

Oct 30, 2019
    From Louis Awerbuck a few years back. To way paraphrase “you think you are good because you train with one hand. Now switch and train with one eye. Then off hand and one eye”

I really miss reading Louis every month and taking his classes.

jon

11. *Double Diamond Colt*

Jan 15, 2020
    Much of my 22 practice is done with a Colt 1911 conversion on a dedicated Essex frame to replicate what I am carrying as I carry a 5 in 1911 most of the time except during hunting season when I carry a Smith 25-5 or 29 that I practice weak hand double action with also.

You bring up a great point in practicing different ways to draw as I always have my hands at my side need to practice the hands high and hovering positions .
    Got to admit I love shooting 2 1911s at once at plates of varying distance drawing from askins avenger holsters, unfortunately, this practice burns up a crazy amount of ammo that is getting hard to get at the moment .

Even components are getting hard to come by so the 22 is probably going to get more time rather then less as its better than not shooting at all

12. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2017

Been watching too many movies. 1 1911 in each hand just isn't going to place shots as well as one pistol used right!

Shots placed under pressure trump spraying and praying! ;)

Also do hands clasped, it will throw you off at first. THEN... concealed. If it's not to hot, a lot of my practical comes from concealed.

13. *Double Diamond Colt*

Jan 15, 2020
    Of course its not going to place shots as well but shooting a 1911 in each hand is just plain fun and Im old enough and have enough 1911s to allow myself to have some fun once in a while . Besides I'm a 1911 addict if one is good 2 is better LOL.

All true my brother I have looked enough stuff in the eye and placed shots under pressure to fill my freezer and feed my family for the last 30 yrs . Yep seen quite a few fast missers shooting cardboard and steel thinking they are under pressure when its just a game LOL.

I do concealed from my shooting enclosure coming from behind the door . I have to try hands clasped honestly have never done that

14. *Double Diamond Colt*

Jan 15, 2020
    IMG_20200805_181922.jpg
    Hey Bob I know you dont like the 22 but with well placed shots it effectively dispatches critters trying to undermine your out buildings . Got him a half hour ago 32 yrds one hand after a practice session with the little Ruger.

1911 crazed and Songcatcher like this.
  15. 340pd

340pd Active Member

Jul 29, 2020
    At least a third of my shooting is weak hand.

16. Songcatcher

Songcatcher Nose to the grindstone

Mar 15, 2018
    Not enough, and need to be reminded of this every time I hit the range.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted