How old isn”collectible”

Discussion in 'Collector's Corner' started by cundiff5535, Jun 8, 2020.

1. cundiff5535

cundiff5535 Chambers Custom Owners Club

Apr 1, 2013
    Question for the masses... what year is the thresh hold for reblue?
    Meaning a Colt in 70%-80% condition, the owner wants it to look like new.

Also, I would think you would leave any war time fun alone if it was matching. Arsenal rebuilds... eh.

Pre-war stuff I would think the same.

Once you get into the post war guns late 40’s... is there really still “historical value” in them? And what’s the thought process on refinishing those?

2. Kraaaken

Kraaaken Active Member

May 3, 2019
    Personally if a gun was not abused but has honest wear I wold likely leave it. If pitting or rust present in order to keep it going further I’d consider refinish if the firearm. Not sure there is a year cutoff at least for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uncle Bob and cundiff5535 like this.

3. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
  4. Lakeman45

Lakeman45 Active Member

May 15, 2017
    No collectible gun is worth more refinished unless it has been abused or altered to the point that it has no collectibility, such as an original blued gun that has been buffed and nickeled. Turnbull does wonderful work, but his refinishing has gone past the point of looking like the original finish.

M1911info likes this.
  5. Jim w.

Jim w. Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2016
    Early post war guns have a following. The 70% example in Blue Book doesn't look bad but it is just worn, not neglected.

My cynical view is that there is nothing so new that that you won't be told on the gun boards not to alter it.

Uncle Bob and cundiff5535 like this.
  6. Badabing11

Badabing11 I gotta have more cowbell

Sep 6, 2015
    With the exception of something that has historical value, like a war time weapon, I like all my guns to look good. The honest wear concept has it's merit, and it is growing on me.

cundiff5535 and ZoidMeister like this.
  7. cundiff5535

cundiff5535 Chambers Custom Owners Club

Apr 1, 2013
    I’ve been and am in this school if thoight!

8. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    Pretty much the same idea as any true collectible, if it had real value it’s worth more with no restorations unless it’s completely unusable or broken.
    If it doesn’t have true historic or collector value do whatever you want with it.

9. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2017

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted