1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a friend of mine has a pass downed revolver from his grandpa. It has definitely seen better days. He doesn’t want to sink a whole lot of money into it. Just wants to maybe shoot some .38 Special through it.

It has some serious corrosion on the barrel and other areas. Main area of concern is definitely the barrel.

What do you guys think?

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
It not often that I will say this, but if that were mine, I would put it down . . .

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It not often that I will say this, but if that were mine, I would put it down . . .
That’s what I was afraid of. Didn’t want to tell him that though. I still want to get it all cleaned up as best as it can be.

·
Student of the Columbian Exchange
7,861 Posts
Before the Cornelius hit you could buy a used one in good condition for around $400 where I live. I'm with the others, time to replace.

·
Registered
264 Posts
The frame and cylinder look salvageable, but no way I’d trust that barrel. He could find a replacement barrel, but with the time and money that would be invested, it’s just not worth it.

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
I'm with @Scaramouche on this one. It's a Ruger, not a lot of residual value in these.

The best product that I can think of trying would be something called Big Frontier 45.

Do a YouTube search for videos on how well it might work. You can buy it off Amazon. That will give you the best "restoration" you can hope for.

I wouldn't be too afraid to shoot it. Most of what you see is surface issues. After you get the corrosion stabilized, you'll have a revolver with a lot of "street cred."

I own a firearm in similar condition, although this one is over 102 years old and served our nation in at least one world war.

This is basically what you should expect after "restoration."

1918 Colt - Deadpool - 001.JPG

1918 Colt - Deadpool - 003.JPG

1918 Colt - Deadpool - 008.JPG

1918 Colt - Deadpool - 009.JPG

1918 Colt - Deadpool - 010.JPG

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea not expecting a great looking revolver when it’s all said and done.

Just want to give it some life back since it has a lot of sentimental value to him.

·
Cranky old curmudgeon
1,330 Posts
Problem is, the corrosion that you are seeing goes much deeper than what is on the surface. Soak it in a Kroil bath for several days to stabilize it, clean it up and put it in a display case, never to be fired again...
Do this, land then find one on Gun Broker-Guns International of the same model for shooting. Best of both worlds.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts