1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
SHEEPLE HERDER
1,626 Posts
Whoops...I see now this thread is about barrels. :biggrin1:

·
Crabby Old Gunsmith
1,221 Posts
I like it. I don't know about you guys around here, but I think Dave is an extremely intense guy when it comes to fitting his parts. He has his own set of beliefs about how a barrel should be fit, and he makes a compelling argument to back them up.

·
Don't need no education
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
BIG OL' BALD HAID !
3,291 Posts
Very dramatic.

If nothing else,I guess it gets him some customers.

DAT85

·
Don't need no education
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey DAT, You've seen some tight ones I guess :wink: (which I personally do not care about) on your recent trip.. And thank you for posting on this. Did they explain their barrel fit to you at all?
I am aware of what you've been through and how you feel about it and I am with you on that, but at the moment I am interested to get your opinion on the fit :lol:
Would you like to have a gun fitted like this (say by somebody else) or not?

·
BIG OL' BALD HAID !
3,291 Posts
Hey DAT, You've seen some tight ones I guess :wink: (which I personally do not care about) on your recent trip.. And thank you for posting on this. Did they explain their barrel fit to you at all?
I am aware of what you've been through and how you feel about it and I am with you on that, but at the moment I am interested to get your opinion on the fit :lol:
Would you like to have a gun fitted like this (say by somebody else) or not?

On the CABOT 1911's,barrel fit was very similar to a broken in Les Baer product.

Except it didn't take a couple of thousand rounds to get there.It started out just like my TRS is after 4k rds. :eek:
All of the parts that I examined came off of the line being able to be dropped in to the frame or slide without forcing them together.
They didn't sound like a lego toy being assembled.

The tightest contact point was the bushing fit to the barrel.You would definitely need to use a wrench to turn the bushing in the slide.

As far as the stewpid tight fit illustrated in the video is concerned,NOT!

I"ll let someone else pay for that "fit" :rolleyes2:

DAT85

·
Don't need no education
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks DAT. Sounds like you are reasonably impressed by the Cabot's work. Ever consider getting one for your upcoming B-Day? :lol:
Will save you the cost of 4K rounds compared to LB :tongue: Seriously, after your review I acknowledge they exist as one of choices we have.

So you don't like tight fit, ha? :biggrin1:

·
BIG OL' BALD HAID !
3,291 Posts
Thanks DAT. Sounds like you are reasonably impressed by the Cabot's work. Ever consider getting one for your upcoming B-Day? :lol:
Will save you the cost of 4K rounds compared to LB :tongue: Seriously, after your review I acknowledge they exist as one of choices we have.

So you don't like tight fit, ha? :biggrin1:

I simply don't have the kind of $$$$ to spend on my hobby that I could justify buying a CABOT even for my 55th birthday! :Cry:

(Even though they are beautifully built) :thumb:

As far as "tight" is concerned,LB products are as tight as I would even consider for a self defense handgun.

What I witnessed in the video was beyond what I would consider as "reasonably" tight. It gets into territory that I can't relate to.

My focus on use of the 1911 platform is recreational/ self defense.

Before I considered carrying one of my TRS',it needed 2.5-3k worth of rounds to prove itself to me as being totally reliable to risk my life with.It smoothed out nicely,thank you very much! :biggrin1:

It's starting point wasn't anywhere near as tight as the fit I witnessed in that video.

My LB's lock up tight at the bushing,not the hood.

I can deal with that.

DAT85

·
Don't need no education
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks DAT. None of my guns lock up that tight at the hood either. That's why it was interesting to watch how Mr. Severns does it. It could be totally unnecessary thing from all the practical reasons but to me it was nice watching two pieces of metal go into action like that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I believe it is the upper radial lugs that are snapping into place not the hood. The hood simply is fit to have no clearance against the breech face. At least this is how my Heinie guns have been fit. On the last one Heinie used an EGW bushing that was a perfect fit on the barrel and as long as the slide is off the gun, no wrench is needed to take the bushing off. My STI high capacity built by Heinie now has about 30,000 rounds through (ISPC shooting) and has failed to fire on three occasions -- an early reloading batch where I had the crimp done poorly, a used piece of brass that came out of Glock, and a early sue of a shock buff. The gun is totally reliable and tight. It can be done.

·
Don't need no education
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you guys, these are exactly opinions/experiences I am interested to hear.:thumb:

·
Crabby Old Gunsmith
1,221 Posts
A fit like that is the only way to work the metal and get a super hard bearing surface on vital areas to ensure a long lasting fit. If you don't want a long lasting, tight fit, then by all means fit everything loose.

Remember though that there is a difference between a hard fit for the sake of a hard fit, and a hard fit done properly to ensure long service life of the load bearing parts.

·
Registered
497 Posts
tight quality build 1911's is the only way for competition and selfdefense....but thay have to be kept CLEAN. If you get dirt into tight spaces, it becomes a problem, and wears ot the gun faster.
Yes, if I was in a war zone, I'd apt for either a well broken in or loosely fit 1911, in order to create "room" for the dirt.

When parts are fit tightly in a 1911, the whole mechanic concept of the gun design last longer, since the parts have no obtained pre-speed before contacting/activating one another. Under the right conditions, it'll be more reliable, and felt recoil will seem more pleasant compared to a cluncker.

This debate has always been based on emotions, poor experience or lack of knowledge when it comes to the topic of 1911's. No other pistol design out there to this very day, is more reliable than a truely nice build custom 1911 in 45 ACP.

Well ha ha, thats just my opinien...and you'll know how that goes.

·
BIG OL' BALD HAID !
3,291 Posts
tight quality build 1911's is the only way for competition and selfdefense....but thay have to be kept CLEAN. If you get dirt into tight spaces, it becomes a problem, and wears ot the gun faster.
Yes, if I was in a war zone, I'd apt for either a well broken in or loosely fit 1911, in order to create "room" for the dirt.

When parts are fit tightly in a 1911, the whole mechanic concept of the gun design last longer, since the parts have no obtained pre-speed before contacting/activating one another. Under the right conditions, it'll be more reliable, and felt recoil will seem more pleasant compared to a cluncker.

This debate has always been based on emotions, poor experience or lack of knowledge when it comes to the topic of 1911's. No other pistol design out there to this very day, is more reliable than a truely nice build custom 1911 in 45 ACP.

Well ha ha, thats just my opinien...and you'll know how that goes.
A very insightful opinion indeed! :thumb:

I believe a level of confidence is necessary when EDC'ing a 1911.

For me,reliability is foremost.If the smith doing the build is someone I have had a chance to get to know as well as use 1911's that he has built,I probably would be confident in carrying his "hard fit" 1911.

But,as they say,you can't teach an old dog new tricks,and my experience has been for EDC,a WELL broke in 1911 is the way to go.

And thats why I only EDC 2 of my LB's.

As I said previously,LB 1911's are as tight a fit as I want to get with a 1911.

Just my .02

DAT85

1 - 20 of 31 Posts