1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

· Vendor
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First we mark off where the end of the dustcover is. It is best to have your barrel fit and your slide blended to the frame in the rear before starting for the closest results.
Ruler Metal Iron Aluminium Steel

Next we place our slide in the mill vise. I use a level to get me close and then indicate the slide .
Mode of transport Yellow Transport Rolling stock Line

Gauge Machine Measuring instrument Steel Engineering

Machine Gauge Metal Engineering Measuring instrument

Next we try to match up the radius of the cutter to the existing radius of the flair. This will give us our basic cutter Z height and we can lower it more if needed.
Machine Machine tool Milling Steel Jig grinder

· Vendor
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Next we make a pass and cut away the bulk of the old flair.
Machine Steel Metal Iron Parallel

Machine Steel Metal Small appliance Jig grinder

Now we creep Y in until the cut starts looking good.
Machine Machine tool Metal Steel Composite material

I like to stop right when the cutter starts making contact with the flat of the spring box. Now that we have Y about where we want it, will will check X with the frame.
Machine Metal Steel Composite material Iron

This one needs to be trimmed back more. This is why you need to fit your barrel and blend the rear. You now know how the ball cuts will line up in battery without taking the slide out of the vise. Trim the ball cut back until you are happy with where it sits. Once you get one side where you want it, zero X and cut the other side to the same zero :)

· Si vis pacem, para bellum
2,645 Posts
You know, if you keep posting this kind of stuff, I'm gonna think I can do it and I'm really gonna mess up a gun...:)

· Known Agitator
4,159 Posts
LOL at the WC jabs. Do wish they would work on that. With all the stuff in their shop, you would think...

EvolutionAmory, enjoying the picts and mini tutorials. Would love to play around with some of that stuff. All I have is a few files and a dremmel....

· Registered
8,495 Posts
Love it Dave. Keep up the good work

Bet they try @ WC, could be something as simple as "fit the barrel and blend the slide FIRST", I dunno but I would expect them to line up and same for the carry cut. "and sand, sand, sand"

· Vendor
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Maybe Wilson should just move the stop point across the board when they machine these up. Then the builder would only have to file the dust cover back a hair if they don't line up the other way :)

The jabs at Wilson are funny, but in their defense, they build more guns in a day than I do in 6-12 months. I have the time to make them line up on each gun.

· Vendor
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I gotta tip my hat to Wilson. They build a high quality gun that tics off a lot of boxes for me. They have a good balance of popular options and their guns are affordable. I can see someone being pissed off if a Supergrade didn't line up but on one of the lower models, not so much.

Personally, I don't mind if the ball cuts don't line up. They didn't line up over 100 years ago on pre A1 pistols so it's retro if they don't line up.....right?:)

· Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled.
5,065 Posts
I gotta tip my hat to Wilson. They build a high quality gun that tics off a lot of boxes for me. They have a good balance of popular options and their guns are affordable. I can see someone being pissed off if a Supergrade didn't line up but on one of the lower models, not so much.

Personally, I don't mind if the ball cuts don't line up. They didn't line up over 100 years ago on pre A1 pistols so it's retro if they don't line up.....right?:)
Not sure about that. Their advertising and pricing determine their eventual customers' expectations. High prices conote perfection, as do hundreds of thousand glossy photos that display their workmanship without machining problems. I wouldn't fault anyone for complaing about something so obvious as misaligned ball cuts on a 5K pistol, or 4' or 3.

Reactions: cfl4rat
1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.