How to keep from buying guns...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TexasRedneck, Sep 30, 2020.

1. TexasRedneck

TexasRedneck Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2011
    Well - fuel pump went out on my truck for the third time in as many months yesterday. Not sure what's going on with it - but I'm frankly done w/it. It was time to upgrade anyway, but was planning to hold off another 2 years so I'd have the wife's Lincoln paid off an' enough saved to pay most of it up front..... I do residential water softeners, and replace a lot of the garbage the big box stores sell to the unsuspecting folks that think they're getting a "deal"....until it fails in 3-4 years and they find out no one will service/repair them because they're junk......3-4 hundred pounds of junk.<G> So, yeah - you need a lift gate....and the truck that goes with it.
    So, there I am at the gas pump, having just filled the 46 gallon tank - and "Screw you, mister - I ain't starting!" Call the tow company, get the thing towed to the shop and head over to see what's available. Gotta tell ya - someone's been buying up trucks! One-ton CC 4x4 dually w/a service body and gas engine....scarce as hen's teeth. Most of the commercial buyers have been going w/gas engines the last few years if they aren't pulling trailers - they've finally figured out that the added purchase price and maintenance costs just don't balance out.
    But I managed to find one, having the inside of the box lined, an' a Tommy Lift installed, then take delivery - they're saying by next Friday. Anyone got $54k they wanna donate....

Mike Meints, xerts1191, Kip and 8 others like this.
  2. nikerret

nikerret Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2019
    And not a single picture.....

colrhino, FWoo45 and livinthelife like this.

3. TexasRedneck

Sep 19, 2011
    I'll post 'em when I take delivery.....honest! This is the old one - they were pretty surprised at how clean it was overall. I try to take care of my equipment and not abuse it.

And, yeah - that's a "Texas State Rifle Association" sign on the back door. I own the company - if they don't like it, they can call someone else.

Truck.jpg

4. Greg M.

Greg M. Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 6, 2020
    Well at least you found what you were looking for. Lol just tell them to fill it up with the good stuff :D

5. TexasRedneck

Sep 19, 2011
    True dat!! Only one left on their lot, to boot!

Greg M. likes this.
  6. Greg45acp

Greg45acp Double Secret Banned

Oct 31, 2016
    I haven’t bought any guns this year. Didn’t even realize it until a couple weeks ago. Furniture and a roof repair cost enough.

I have used a couple of gunsmiths, and I’ve bought holsters, grips and reloading supplies. Most matches have been cancelled so my ammo stash is ridiculous :D

7. TexasRedneck

Sep 19, 2011
    Well, I have bought a few......but that's gonna be on hold for the next 18-24 months while I pay this truck off. I hate owing $$!!!!

SVG, colrhino, livinthelife and 5 others like this.
  8. PNW Oly Guy

PNW Oly Guy Active Member

Dec 23, 2019
    Were those all OEM fuel pumps or aftermarket?

9. TexasRedneck

Sep 19, 2011
    All OEM. No aftermarket pumps available even if I was so inclined....which I wouldn't be.

colrhino likes this.
  10. PNW Oly Guy

Dec 23, 2019
    Dayum......

Are you stayin' with Dodge?

Tallerico likes this.
  11. TexasRedneck

Sep 19, 2011
    Yessir - the electrical issues weren't created by them, but the previous owner. His BS electrical "work" is all over the truck. Everything from line taps to undersized wiring he ran. The previous Ram - a 2011 2500 - had 190k on the clock when I sold it, and it's still running like a clock. I spent a LOT of years on two wheels, and one thing you learn REAL quick on them is to run ALL accessory electrical on a dedicated, master-fused circuit off the battery. I used to run both Goldwings and FLHTCU's with (literally) hundreds of feet of aftermarket wiring, all w/dedicated relays and fuses. NEVER had issue one with 'em, and the local dealers used to have me come in and show their techs how to run wire harnesses for all the stuff we loved to put on 'em....lol My personal favorite was my '98 GL1500, which had 12 "hide-away" strobes mounted into the various OEM lenses. Nothing visible until you hit one of 4 switches - THEN it was Christmas time! lol

xerts1191, razorbacker, rmac and 5 others like this.
  12. TexasRedneck

Sep 19, 2011
    Here's a shot of the new one - still some things to be done/added to it once the dealer's done.

[​IMG]

xerts1191, ILED93, rmac and 5 others like this.
  13. PNW Oly Guy

Dec 23, 2019
    SWEET......
    KEEP ON TRUCKIN......

14. Fatbob Frank

Fatbob Frank Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Feb 5, 2014
    $54k looks like a deal really...
    That's a lot of truck.

switchback, SVG, colrhino and 2 others like this.
  15. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    Damn.........that’s a heJJ of a lot of truck!

Babboonbobo likes this.
  16. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    Very reasonable considering what a new limited 1500 costs!!

17. Fatbob Frank

Fatbob Frank Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Feb 5, 2014
    The sticker on my 2019 1500 Laramie Sport 4x4 was just under $54k
    But with $8k in discounts I could actually afford it...

colrhino likes this.
  18. TexasRedneck

Sep 19, 2011
    That's the hell of it - trucks have gotten to be as expensive as a luxury car, and folks don't bat an eye. Some of the Fords I looked at were in the 70k range with the same set-up.

19. SVG

SVG Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2019
    I'm going to echo the other posters and say $54K isn't a bad deal at all.

Did the aftermarket bed affect the truck warranty? I ask because I've got a friend that's a concrete contractor up here and he picked up a new CTD chassis cab and had a flat bed installed. He said if he would have purchased a non-chassis cab pickup and had the regular bed removed and replaced that the warranty was longer. I can't remember the years involved.

20. El Perdido

El Perdido Fictional Western Sage

Oct 3, 2011
    If I am looking at Gunbroker or a for sale ad and getting "the look" of want, my GF will slowly start to unbutton her shirt, then gives me "the look" and I instantly forget about any new gun...

Lineman1982, razorbacker and SVG like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted