1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Deadblow hammer double crossed me. As I was fitting slide to frame ....Slide on, wack off with deadblow hammer, file some more rinse repeat. Well I was so into being carefull hitting back of slide, the plastic on the deadblow hammer shattered and exposed ....well some metal....which i inadvertantly hit the rear of the rails on the frame. P*ssed off to say the least. I thought when I did my blending it would go away. Some of it was remedied but not all. Actually just venting here. The camera shot, because of the shadows, makes it look worse than it really is. The good news.....a near perfect slide to frame rail fit.

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why would anyone in their right mind fit a slide to frame in this mannor?
No disrespect Joe. But when fitting the slide to frame I thought one would trial fit as you go. I use a matrix precision jig and stones. Tap the slide on and tap the slide off and stone and repeat. Not having a mill....what is wrong with this method?

·
Custom Pistolsmith
3,465 Posts
No disrespect Joe. But when fitting the slide to frame I thought one would trial fit as you go. I use a matrix precision jig and stones. Tap the slide on and tap the slide off and stone and repeat. Not having a mill....what is wrong with this method?
Sounds like a good way to gall, smash or generally just screw things up. If you are fitting a slide to frame there is, in my opinion, no excuse for not having and using a quality micrometer, gage blocks, paper and pencil before ever removing any metal. In doing so, smashing it with a hammer or slathering it with lapping compound as some promote, becomes unnecessary altogether. As it should be.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hate to pile on, but after making my living with tools for 35yrs+, I've found that even if it's something you only use once or twice, it's not worth it to use anything but quality.
I agree 100%. Just happen to have this hammer around and it bit me in the you know where. Who would have thought ?

·
Premium Member
4,868 Posts
I read that title entirely too fast...glad it worked out for you
That's because you read with your mind, not your eye's.
drax laugh gif.gif

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Sounds like a good way to gall, smash or generally just screw things up. If you are fitting a slide to frame there is, in my opinion, no excuse for not having and using a quality micrometer, gage blocks, paper and pencil before ever removing any metal. In doing so, smashing it with a hammer or slathering it with lapping compound as some promote, becomes unnecessary altogether. As it should be.
I am with you on this one Joe. Doing this only for the last thou or two. I do understand about the galling issue and I was far from it. I, also, do not use lapping compound. In this instance I , unfortunately, pushed the slide on (with my palm) just a bit too tight (shame on me). And I actually did use guage pins (do not have gauge blocks) in the final fitting. Anyway, I hope this post will help someone else who finds themselves in this predicament.

FWIW: 95% of the damage done to the deadblow hammer was done prior to this fitting exercise.

thanks
Sid

·
I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now
6,024 Posts
I love "insert full size image" even more

·
Registered
173 Posts
I tried to hammer the slide off a time or two. Then I found the downward pressure at the right angle and a rug that you don't care about, does a really nice job. Now just push the slide straight down using my weight, role it a little and it keep pushing down. Then turn it around and push and roll it the other way. The garbage carpet keeps the floor from getting scratched. I started this new method after the dead blow hammer did the same thing to me. Once you overcome the static friction, the constant pressure maintains the slide in motion. The dead blow hammer doesn't offer the same luxury.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Your 'Barrel Fit Challenge' thread was very enlightening, especially for this DYI hack. I'd bet a 'Slide to Frame Fit Challenge" would be equally interesting...

Reactions: Joe C

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
I do not understand that DB hammer. All my Compothane hammers I have are
filled with sand or lead shot, not steel. I just got done with fitting my 1918 slide
to my new Caspian frame It took time to fit & was slow. It fits so much
better than it did back in 1918 it's a 1 holer LOL..

I just have to say I did not become a Master mechanic without learning
how to use a hammer. I have hammers of every shape, size & weight,
each like a quality tool has a unique use. Last nonuse is for just banging
something to get it to fit, that just breaks things.

Be very careful hitting Gunmetal it can be broken/smashed
by improper use of a hammer. I did bang my slide on and off a
few times when I got very close. I used the palm of my hand
as a hammer however.

·
Custom Pistolsmith
3,465 Posts
Your 'Barrel Fit Challenge' thread was very enlightening, especially for this DYI hack. I'd bet a 'Slide to Frame Fit Challenge" would be equally interesting...
I'm glad you have enjoyed that thread. While a similar thread about slide to frame fitting would certainly be interesting, it might ruffle a few too many feathers...

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'm glad you have enjoyed that thread. While a similar thread about slide to frame fitting would certainly be interesting, it might ruffle a few too many feathers...
Do it anyways, liked the barrel fit challenge myself. Couldn't believe some of the real expensive pistols didn't have slide stop to lug contact.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts