How to space a LaserLyte cartridge

Discussion in '1911 Gear' started by TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot, Dec 25, 2018.

1. TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot

TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot I do not consent.

Dec 28, 2017
    I got a .45 caliber LaserLyte cartridge for Christmas - the little brass cartridge that slips into the chamber and blasts a momentary red dot on the wall, hopefully somewhere close to the actual point of impact, when the rear of the cartridge is struck by the firing pin.

Now I didn't really expect it to work. There's just too much variance in chamber dimensions. But, you know, the LaserLyte was a gift and all, and the giver meant well.

The thing is, it almost works. It just goes about .005", or maybe .010", too far into the chamber after the first firing pin strike. The pin can't hit it a second time.

So I thought I'd ask if any of you smart guys have a solution for either spacing it back from the front of the chamber or closing the gap at the rear. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
    boatdoc likes this.
  2. Mike Meints

Mike Meints Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2017
    I'm no gunsmith , but , can you use an old firing pin spring and shorten it by .060 or so to give you enough travel ? Of course , it would have to be a dedicated spring for practice only .

3. Mike0251

Mike0251 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 25, 2016
    Experiment: try unscrewing battery end of it just a little to extend the length of the device. If this works then maybe add a small spacer so you can tighten it up and not worry about it being loose. I have one and have used it in several 45's without issue.
    Also, never tighten the plastic barrel rod (red cap) to much! Otherwise it will unscrew at the end and leave the rest of it in the barrel connected to the laser cartridge.

UBOATDOC and TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot like this.
  4. Geoff

Geoff Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2016
    I have been curious about how these might work, and whether they are effective, in the 1911. I will be following this thread, with feedback much appreciated.

5. Mike0251

Mar 25, 2016
    Geoff I use them in 9 and 45. They are a nice novelty. Not necessarily super accurate but it's something to do with down time. I have a set of the small cans that flip over when you hit them. They are more fun than the target. Haven't used them in almost a year....lol.

TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot likes this.
  6. Geoff

Geoff Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2016
    Thanks for the feedback Mike, it is not always easy to get out to a range so something like this could be handy, even if not super accurate. Now small cans that flip over when hit, that is very cool. Must be a special deal to flip with the laser, I have to look those up. I take it you simply manually cock the hammer between shots?

7. Mike0251

Mar 25, 2016
    The cans use batteries and when you hit the hot spot it actuates the lever and flips the can over.
    Yes, just cock the hammer. Don't need to actuate the slide.

Geoff likes this.
  8. TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot

Dec 28, 2017
    Hmm. I’ll look at this. Maybe I can find a small o-ring to act as a spacer. Not a bad idea, even if I have to stretch the battery spring a bit.

https://www.brownells.com/shooting-...essories/laser-training-system-prod42612.aspx

I’m not sure about the second part of your comment. There isn’t any red cap on this device. It’s just a little brass gadget approximately the size of a .45ACP round.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. Mike0251

Mar 25, 2016
    Oh my major brain fart on my end. Lmao. I have the Laserlyte targets, my laser is SureStrike. I'm sorry, but the idea may still work.
    20181225_114832.jpg

10. Mike0251

Mar 25, 2016
    Obviously I can't even take a picture in the right orientation this morning either. Must be the eggnog.

FWoo45 likes this.
  11. TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot

Dec 28, 2017
    To rack the slide with a magazine in I use these:
    https://holsterops.com/products/tap-rack-training-aid-trt

I haven’t done this yet, but am considering drilling the center out of cheap, orange plastic dummy rounds and filling them with lead to have some weight in the magazine when dry firing.

https://www.dummybullet.com/product description.html
    This company makes some inert rounds with lead bullets in them which would weigh more than my plastic dummies, and for ~$1/ea would be a lot less trouble for me to buy a few for eval than try to make.

12. TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot

Dec 28, 2017
    Ah. That looks interesting. A little complicated, but interesting. I’ll look into it more.

TBH I’ve never found these little cartridge lasers like I have to be very good. They often fit very poorly, and if they happen to fit they aren’t very reliable or durable. Although this LaserLyte is supposed to be well-made and cost a lot more than it should, I don’t know that it’s going to work.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
  13. TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot

Dec 28, 2017
    I don’t know if that would work or not. I do know swapping a firing pin spring is way more trouble than I want to go through just to dry fire. Thanks though.

Mike Meints likes this.
  14. TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot

Dec 28, 2017
    I think spacing the rear of the LaserLyte cartridge by placing a 5/16" o-ring between the two halves will work. The device fires reliably with the rear portion backed off .020"-.025".

LaserLyte-cartridge-gap.jpg

And there's plenty of room to fit a small o-ring around the threaded area to space it back but keep it snug.

LaserLyte-cartridge-oring-base.jpg

I think this will work. I see no obvious reason it won't, but I need to get some o-rings to test it. If it does work, LaserLyte ought to consider supplying a few o-rings of different thickness to "tune" the length for different guns.

FWoo45, Mike Meints and Mike0251 like this.
  15. TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot

Dec 28, 2017
    There is a reason this idea won't work. Not only does the contact tip need to be extended about .020" to the rear, but the outer edge which is beveled needs to be turned down to clear the extractor tip.

View attachment 193511

All-in-all, it's just too much trouble to make this little gadget work. It may well work in other pistols chambered in .45ACP, but it will not work in my 1911s.

16. Mike0251

Mar 25, 2016
    Good investigation work! Screw it, get some more eggnog!

boatdoc and TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot like this.
  17. TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot

Dec 28, 2017
    Further experimentation reveals that extending the cartridge .005"-.007" does the trick - any less and it won't fire, any more and it will hit the tip of the extractor and prevent the gun from going into battery.

I can unscrew the two cartridge halves by the proper amount with a feeler gauge but, absent some way of locking it in place, it needs to be adjusted every time I use it. Maybe even during dry fire sessions if I rack the slide a few times.

I'm going to contact the manufacturer and see if they can offer a solution.

A shim sized to the cartridge would be best. As a temporary alternative I suppose I could clean the threads and put a drop of blue loctite on them and let it set once I have adjusted it to the proper length.

18. TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot

Dec 28, 2017
    I contacted LaserLyte via email. They responded <24 hrs with a pretty standard reply intended to address the most common problems, none of which are applicable here.

I wrote back describing the situation again and <2 hours had a better response. I think they are going to send some new parts - possibly a new switch - to see if that corrects the problem. I'm assuming they will send a new cap, which contains the switch, rather than some fiddly part that needs to be dug out and replaced inside the cap. We'll see.

I am happy with their responsiveness. I will note the CSR said they have never heard of this problem before. Maybe so, but I'll bet it's happened and people just send it back as defective. I mean we're only talking .006". I fired it 20x-30x in a row without any issue once I unscrewed it the correct amount and the firing pin could hit it.

I'll post again when the parts come in.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

boatdoc likes this.
  19. boatdoc

boatdoc Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2015
    you could try a little of our favorite fix it all--duct tape.

nice toy.santa was good to you.

20. boatdoc

boatdoc Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2015

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted