How to store handguns in safe?

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by FullySupported, Feb 14, 2019.

1. FullySupported

FullySupported Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2019
    I know one needs to control moisture in any gun safe, but how should one store handguns within it? My safe isn't big enough for hard plastic cases or some type of rack system. They are in GPS brand soft cases. I leave them open a bit for air flow. However, I worry about the finish against the fabric. Should one wrap them in some special type of paper like some manufacturers use for shipping?

Is there some option I am not realizing?

Thanks!

2. Rezarf

Rezarf Active Member

Dec 30, 2018
    How humid is it where you live?

How big is your safe?

Can you fit a humidifier system in there?

I use a couple different things but I am in Montana with really low humidity. I do keep a microfiber/silicon rag hanging on the safe door to wipe down my guns after handling them.

You could get a "rechargeable" silica dry pack (about the size of a deck of cards that is a link) that will control the moisture. If you're in Florida or someplace super humid, you might need to up your game.

I find the foam racks that keep the nice guns from clanking against each other to be pretty efficient. My carry guns just get tossed in against one another. Something like this...
    [​IMG]
    Side note, I am maxed out in my safe... it may be easier to upgrade to more space if your budget and storage area permits it.

CENTURIATOR, FullySupported and blamo like this.

3. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    "Some" may find a hardened bunker with dedicated climate control more convenient . . . . . . .

Babboonbobo, gps man, FWoo45 and 4 others like this.
  4. tarosean

tarosean Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2013
    Do not store them in soft cases.

FullySupported likes this.
  5. 9mmContagion

9mmContagion Member

Feb 12, 2019
    I used to store them in LA Police Gear soft cases, but ran out of room eventually.. I like the cases because they hold mags and whatever accessories, but had a separate enclosure for the firearm. I’d put a silica pack in each bag.

Once I ran out of room, I retrofitted my safe with a SecureIt Tactical system

Attached Files:

gps man and FullySupported like this.
  6. FullySupported

Feb 6, 2019
    That does look nice, but where do you keep the bulk of your guns? :)

I do use a rechargeable humidity solution, which seems to do the trick in terms of overall humidity in there.

The various rack systems and foam system that you guys shared appear good, but I worry that I won't manage to fit everything in there (and I don't really want to get a second or larger gun safe.)

Manufacturers ship out handguns that they know might not get sold for years. Some send out the guns in a ton of oil in a sealed plastic bag, others send them in foam-lined hard plastic cases, other just wrap them in paper, sometimes with special markings. The last solution is what I am most interested in due to expense and space constraints. What I am proposing, is wiping the guns down with the proper cloth, wrapping them in the special paper, and then stacking them with some type of very thin foam in between them. Is that crazy?

While we are at it, I understand that stainless and blued guns needed to be wiped down with different cloths ideally? Can people recommend particular brands and versions?

I really do want to take could care of my guns so they last until the Second Coming, but I don't know exactly when that will be. Also, if I enjoy guns, will I get to keep them after that, if I pass muster?

7. 9mmContagion

9mmContagion Member

Feb 12, 2019
    Well played, Sir! It sounds like you need a larger safe! I opted for the rack system to save me a couple years before needing a new safe. I figure with this system, I can add another 66 handguns then buy another small safe for rifles. I’m a young cat and still have many years of collecting. That picture was taken a while ago, and I have since filled every handgun slot. But I also only have one more gun on my short list as of now..

As for storing. It depends how accessible you’re trying to make them. If you’re not accessing them often. I’d put them in gun socks and stack them deep. Put a dehumidifier on each shelf if you’re that worried about moisture

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  8. k38

k38 Active Member

Aug 4, 2014
    Here's what I've done in SE Michigan (humid summers) for decades: no dehumidifier, all pistols stored in soft gun rugs. Blue guns get wiped off with silicone cloth. NEVER a problem with rust. None. No, I take that back: I once stored a Unique DES-32 (European bullseye pistol) on a shelf in the safe without putting it in a rug. Guess what? Some surface rust appeared.

9. CENTURIATOR

CENTURIATOR Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2018
  10. 2sharp2

2sharp2 Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2016
    Foam racks, wood racks, wire things that fit on a shelf. I'm about to the max. If anything is taken out of safe it is wiped down with silicon rag as it goes back in.
    This pic is from most recent "got to make more room" effort. Making Space.jpg

11. 2sharp2

Apr 17, 2016
    Oh forgot, I have the big white bags of silicon, 2 of the rechargeable things. Very humid here in Tennessee. My gauge usually stays around 43%.

12. DWdude

DWdude Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2019
    I have a dehumidifier rod in mine but also have them in the Zerust bags for extra protection. Well oiled of course.

13. DWdude

DWdude Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2019
    You need some ARs in the rifle section!!!!

14. FullySupported

Feb 6, 2019
    I had never heard of Zerust before...so it actually works? It almost seems too good to be real...magic vapor creates invisible barrier, but I'm no chemist...

15. DWdude

DWdude Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2019
    I don't know the exact chemistry behind it but my guns never show any signs of corrosion and the bags are a decent millage so if there is ever a water issue (flooding/fire) there is added protection as long as internal temps don't get out of hand

16. DWdude

DWdude Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2019
    Also have one for my AC unit keeps the coils from oxidizing over the winter months.

17. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    I use a couple of the rechargeable silica things. They're really cheap on Amazon if you get the ones marketed for RV storage. The camo ones are twice the money. I attached one of those closet door shoe holders to my safe door. Works pretty good for the price.

18. 2sharp2

Apr 17, 2016
    Ha, I had stuff everywhere, found a couple things I forgot I had. Only have three AR's. Spare bed was full. Oh kitchen remodel was also going on, ignore the clutter. Making Room.jpg

UBOATDOC, Babboonbobo, rod442 and 3 others like this.
  19. 605atthe wheels

605atthe wheels In the staging lanes Supporting Addict

Oct 19, 2012
  20. AZ Husker

AZ Husker Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Oct 14, 2017
    ^^^Gun or snack junkie?

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted