How well can 1911s & Glocks handle defensive ammo?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Alexy, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Alexy

Alexy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2016
    Hello everyone, sorry for another weird question, as I asked a few other weird ones earlier this month.

I recently got a Glock 21 (45acp) and I am considering getting my permit to carry, and I am wondering if 1911s and glocks can handle the hollow point defensive ammo I plan on using?

I've seen discussion on 1911s and other guns not feeding hollow points very well and jamming sometimes when they're used.

Is this an issue to consider before carrying? And say my 1911 or my Glock won't feed hollow points too well, what is the soloution to fix the problem?

2. fieldgrade

fieldgrade resident crank

Mar 13, 2017
    Take 'em both to the range and see how the ammo runs. If it doesn't run, try some different ammo, until it does.

3. Fred_G

Fred_G Known Agitator

Dec 29, 2015
    Some guns can be picky about ammo, always good to make sure whatever gun you carry will feed the defensive round you have.

Babboonbobo likes this.
  4. 12VMan

12VMan Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Personally, I won't carry any gun/ammo combination until I've fired at least 50 rounds without a malfunction, and I know many people would say that's not enough.

That said, I have run Federal 230 gr HSTs through several 1911s and Glocks without any issues. YMMV, of course.

Old Sea Dragon likes this.
  5. Dallas Knight

Dallas Knight Max Otto von Stierlitz

Jun 22, 2015
    Alexy,
    I’d say you’ve been given the very best answer possible and that is to test run ammo that identically matches what you’re planning to have save your life. You need to be comfortable with both your pistol & magazine selection, ammo selection and holster selection.

6. TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot

TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot I do not consent.

Dec 28, 2017
    I test the gun, the mag and the ammo. Right now I’m running a test of some 8-rd, flush-fit .45ACP mags by Check-Mate and I’m testing Speer LE GDHP, Federal HST and Sig V-Crown approx 60 rds ea. and a little bit of Hornady (just because I had some.)

I can’t always get the same SD ammo, but I try to stick with those three main brands and can usually find one of them. I want to know they all run reliably in my gun with these mags before I put the combination in my holster.

It’s not cheap. By the time I’m done I will have easily blown $175 in ammo plus $125 on the mags. But knowing it all works... Priceless.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

UBOATDOC likes this.
  7. UBOATDOC

UBOATDOC THE DOCTOR WILL SEE YOU......LATER Supporting Addict

Apr 5, 2015
    Not that I am huge risk taker, but I probably run the "more problematic" set up in that I run a Colt Officers with the original guide rod and plug set up...but it has not been a problem. I run Golden Sabres in a factory 6 round and then ball in a Wilson 7 round. It all seems to work okay. In any case, I can always hope that instead of a misfeed, the guide rod and plug will launch and take the bad guy down like a spear gun in the frontal cortex. LOL

8. DETROIT

DETROIT Member

Jun 29, 2014
    Buy 500 rds of 45 and run it through the glock. STOCK Glocks eat everything! The only ammo I won’t run through a glock is buffalo bore. I’ll let the other guys give tips on the 1911.

9. Alexy

Alexy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2016
    It's Glock so the only mag choices I've got are Glock factory mags and the MAGPUL ones which I like better, but I don't think MAGPUL makes Glock 21 mags. Only 9mm.

I've got hornady critical defense. I assume they'll work no different from regular FMJs but I've seen people say that hollow points won't feed well in their guns. I was curious if glocks were known for this issue or not.

But I'll take it out and see how it works like you said.

UBOATDOC likes this.
  10. BigJimP

BigJimP Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2018
    My full sized 5" 1911's from Wilson combat ...in 9mm & .45acp ...have run all of the name brand defensive ammo very reliably... / ..I carry a 5" Wilson Combat Protector model in 9mm ...with Remington Golden Sabre in 124gr or 147gr. They both run 100%...

11. UBOATDOC

Apr 5, 2015
    Yes, it is true. You can shoot sunflower seeds in Glocks. They are designed to be run on dirty, crappy ammo. 1911’s not so much.

12. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    No thoughts on the glock. My 1911s all have run Remington 230gr hollow points and Hornady critical defense in my 45acps and Remington 115gr hollow points and also Hornady CD in my 9mms with absolutely no issues.

13. Old Sea Dragon

Old Sea Dragon Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    My agency ran Federal Hydra-Shoks and HST's through a lot of Glocks and 1911's and nobody had a problem

UBOATDOC likes this.
  14. UBOATDOC

Apr 5, 2015
    I wanted to add, being somewhat verbose as you all know. I am doubting that after all this time neither Colt or Glock lets much get by that is a "fussy feeder" In terms of longevity, if Colt Delta Elites(10mm are obviously a hotter round) go 3-5k rounds with only recoil springs to be changed, then certainly any model .45 ACP is likely to surpass this. I am confident that even +P SD loads in .45 are going to be pretty reliable. I feel equally confident that standard ball with a couple well-placed shots from either weapon is going to do the trick. I don't shop around for ammo all that much and only look for deals on stuff I am going to shoot a lot of, thus I have not bought any of the newer "kill it all" rounds as the Golden Sabre rounds I carry in my Officer are about 5 or so years old, they feed well as they have they rounded tapers of the bullet to likely correct/prevent feeding issues. I have no experience with Glock .45 ACP pistols, but I am guessing that they are typical Glock products in terms of being the "revolver reliability" in a semi-auto.

15. Alexy

Alexy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2016
    Ah I see what you are getting at. I have another question to add. Can I get a new lower frame for My new Glock 21 Gen 4? D they sell them like that?(i.e.just the slide/frame?) And how much does it generally cost? I may need to replace it.

UBOATDOC likes this.
  16. The War Wagon

The War Wagon Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2018
    1911's? GREAT! :cool:

Glocks?! How the hell should I know?! :o.o:

Although I hear'ed tell...

[​IMG] :roflmaro:

Babboonbobo, Bro. Pappaw and Fred_G like this.
  17. pistolwretch

pistolwretch Dremel jockey Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    Personal defense weapons should NOT be ammo or magazine fussy.
    ANY quality ammo using ANY quality magazine is the acceptable standard.
    If yours is not, use a competent smith.

18. walleyemonster

walleyemonster Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2017
    Speer 230gr Gold Dots run 100% in my two .45 1911 Springers and my Ruger SR1911 as well.

Bro. Pappaw likes this.
  19. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Sep 22, 2017
    On a 1911, not feeding hollow points is often a ramp issue or magazine. Ramp is easily fixed by a good Smith, magazines are easy to replace with better ones. Sorry, I don't do Glock.

20. Fred_G

Fred_G Known Agitator

Dec 29, 2015
    Not to jerk your chain, but by defining mags and ammo with a quality would somewhat define fussy would it not?

This is why I use what I consider quality mags, and test different ammo to make sure the carry gun works. My Springfield RO does not care for Hornady Critical Defense. It eats every other round I have tried with no problems.:)

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted