1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently started purchasing supplies to start reloading and trying to decide on how i'm going to start cleaning my brass. Im stuck between the wet and dry as well as de-priming on press vs de-priming before cleaning cases. How are you processing your handgun ammo as this is where i'm going to start. Im sure the process for rifle stuff will be a little more involved so would like to keep discussion to your high volume handgun rounds.

Ill be reloading on a Dillon 550c progressive. Seems the most economical and quickest would be dry tumbling than de-priming as I go but the wet tumblers and shiny brass look so nice lol. From my research most suggest to de-prime first before wet tumbling which would add another step to the process.

Im interested in hearing your processes and train of thought. Thanks Ray

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I now use a vibratory tumbler. I resisted the investment for a long time. Soap and water then air dryed. The tumbler makes it cleaner, but soap and water works if you wanna go low cost.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I don't like the vibrating cleaning with the corn cob etc, to much dust, I run a tumbler with stainless pins water with a little car wash & wax the brass looks like new,

I have a universal de-primer I keep set up on my rock-chucker for de-priming nasty brass

If all looks good I just reload again with out running it all in the tumbler again.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't like the vibrating cleaning with the corn cob etc, to much dust, I run a tumbler with stainless pins water with a little car wash & wax the brass looks like new,

I have a universal de-primer I keep set up on my rock-chucker for de-priming nasty brass

If all looks good I just reload again with out running it all in the tumbler again.
Do you deprime before cleaning ?

·
1911 Pistol Smith
9,737 Posts
I dry tumble in walnut shells, and add a little turtle wax. I put the liquid wax in first and tumble til it's all blended in nice then add the cases. I've had extremely good results from this. Clean and polished in one step. I know of a number of reloaders who use this method, with various other media's and other wax. But, nearly all seem to report a good outcome. I deprime after cleaning hasn't seemed to pose a problem..

·
Registered
351 Posts
I size and deprime before ultrasonic with Lemishine and Dawn.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I first shake out my brass to get rid of the dirt, then I soak them in a mild Citric Acid solution gets rid of the tarnish without harming the brass.After about an hour soak, I rinse them in hot water and lay them out on a towel in the sun for a while. Then I vibrate them for 60-90 minutes. I find the citric acid bath cleans off a lot of dirt and makes my corn cob or walnut media last a whole lot longer. Once in a while I put in a cup of Nu-Car finish, they come out like new.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
I don't de-prime pistol ammo . So far , no problems . ( 25,000 + rounds )
I use the Frankford wet tumbler with a squirt of Dawn and 1/2 tsp. Lemishine . Dry on a towel, turning it a couple of times .

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't de-prime pistol ammo . So far , no problems . ( 25,000 + rounds )
I use the Frankford wet tumbler with a squirt of Dawn and 1/2 tsp. Lemishine . Dry on a towel, turning it a couple of times .
Mike, I assume you’ve not had any issues with stuck primers after cleaning? I’ve read people having issues when wet cleaning and trying to deprime later stating the primers were oxidizing into the brass.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys for responses I am leaning towards wet tumbling I just dont want to deprime first. All my current brass is once fired by me so not very dirty at all.

I really like the looks of the Frankford lite tumbler

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Pistol brass, some walnut media, dry tumble and ready to go. Deprime as you go on the press. That simple!

I would suggest a dust mask while separating and dumping media in and out.

I have a wet tumbler also and they work great, but a lot more work. If your in no hurry, they work awesome. Get a universal depriming die, deprime first and wet tumble away.

·
CEO of DILLIGAF industries
8,484 Posts
I dry tumble , Lyman turbo tumbler , don't deprime . I did it once , then had to sit there and clean media out of primer pockets before I could prime . I load on a Dillon 650 , so just put clean brass in tube and go .

·
Registered
797 Posts
Dry tumble when back from the range, deprime/size the mostly clean brass out of the tumbler. Wet tumble with the stainless pins and then sort based on headstamps.

·
Premium Member
3,035 Posts
Tumble in dry corn cob with a little Nufinish/mineral spirits, couple tablespoons each mixed together, maybe twice as much on new cob. Start tumbler, add polish let it run for a while to distribute the polish. I don't deprime pistol brass but I do for rifle.
exactly what i do...works great! I throw a few used dryer sheets in to capture dust, etc.

if brass is REALLY bad...i mix “Lemi-shine” with warm water, dump in brass, swish around, drain and dump on a towel to dry, then follow the above...

D814739F-CBDC-4C4B-BA76-BF2BD89EF6F6.jpeg

·
Registered
208 Posts
I do not de-prime. I do wet clean with "Armorall Wash and Wax" and citric acid but do not use pins.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Frankford Arsenal wet tumbler with their pods. May want to post in reloading section of forum, should get more feedback.

IMG_20200223_130410165.jpg

1 - 20 of 60 Posts