1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just joined and I am impressed with the amount of knowledge here. I grew up on the 1911 platform since my Marine Corps days starting in 1972. I have always shot them well. I went to the dark side for a while (Glocks), but have come back home. At present, I have only a Kimber Ultra CDPII (which has been dead-nuts reliable in the 10 years I've had it, except for when using McCormick mags, which are designated range only), and I just aquired a Kimber Micro 9 (yeah, I know it's not a true 1911) to go with my pocket gun, a Kimber Micro .380.

I am on the hunt for a 3-3/5" 9mm at this time (I just like the smaller guns). I am also thinking of buying an inexpensive 1911 to do my own customizing on, figuring if I F it up too badly, I haven't lost that much.

With that in mind, anyone got any input on a good book to buy to start to learn the ins and outs of taking a base gun and making it better? I'm sure there will a LOT of other questions if I decide to do it.

Lon

·
Just outsided the realm of Crazy!
1,837 Posts
Welcome from the PNW! Can't help ya with the book but, someone with some knowledge will probably come along soon. Good luck in your venture! TW

·
Premium Member
5,054 Posts
Welcome to the forum from another AZ.er

You want info on messin with 1911's? .... use the search tool here. esp gunsmith forum... There is a Ton of knowledge here, readily shared.

snow hill & cactus.JPG

·
I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now
6,226 Posts
Scottsdale, here ;)

088efb1daf0bc4f1_southwest_desert_sunset.jpg

·
Registered
466 Posts
I'll second on the Kuhnhausen book for starters..........Wilson also published a book on the basics of working/customizing a 1911 some years ago. I have a copy but don't know if it's still in print....if all else fails still tuned here................

TR

1 - 20 of 30 Posts