1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive always used premium ammo. Typically Partitions, Accubond, Game King (basically an overpriced soft point). But this year I’m using Federal’s rebranded Power Shok, under the new name/box “Non-Typical”.
Their basically a Game King, but a third the price. Picked up several boxes each in (3) 7mm Rem Mag, (3) .30-06 and (4) 6.5 Creedmoor. Not to mention there’s a $5 mail in rebate on each box, so for the $179.89 shipped that I paid for the 10 boxes, I’ll be getting back $50!
For a tad less the $13/box each that’s not too bad. :)

I’ve always been a premium ammo snob, but truthfully, deer aren’t the toughest critters in the world. And I’ve waylaid many a stout hog with a Game King over the years, so I don’t think I’ll be disappointed in how these work on hogs I bet.
Main reason was I’m just sick and tired of paying the ridiculous amounts that premium ammo goes for anymore. And I’d be willing to bet that there’s been more deer killed with Power-Shok/Core Lokt/Power Point type of ammo than you could pile up in your neighborhood over the years. :D

What say you?

P.S. I love shootin the :poop: over guns and ammo in the deer woods over a campfire or online over the forums. You talk about bringing passion to the table. It can get as heated as talkin politics, religion or college football! :D So fire away! :)

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Reload.

I have rifles that have never seen factory ammo. Reloading takes the guesswork out of the equation, and, you tend to shoot more. Which means you get more practice.

Not all factories offer ammo that shoots really well in every rifle. I think they make a lot of money when people buy a bunch of different types to see what shoots best. Bullet weight and barrel twist (mis match) keeps them in business.

I do shoot factory ammo, mainly what I’ve accumulated through the years, to plink and get scopes on paper. Or, bulk, just to save my time. I’ve also tried factory stuff to see what would work in a pinch if I needed some.

FWIW, an aftermarket trigger that can get to or below 1 lb, can help with most any factory offerings.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Same here.
My bolt guns have never tasted factory ammo. Guess I enjoy the load workup and tweaking.
Handloading is the best way to find the accuracy potential of a rifle in my book.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I agree sir. Bambi hit in the boiler room is jerky on the hoof no matter what ammo is used. There's quite a bit of variance at point of impact to kill one.

I dig a Remington CoreLokt soft point or two out of a kitchen drawer every year and put venison in the freezer. I'm shooting 150 yards and in for reference.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Like Glock2740, I am an ammo snob, but I haven’t bought factory “hunting” ammo in about 15 years. I had a guy I met on a message board coach me through getting into reloading, and it’s been the best shooting/hunting related decision ever.

In my bullet inventory, I have partitions, accubonds, ballistic tips, game kings, corelokts, as well as several kinds of Hornady bullets. I buy a lot of blem bullets which in my experience shoot as well as non-blems.

The main calibers I load for are 223, 308, 270 Win, 6.5x55 Swede, 9.3x62, and 9.3x74r, but I have dies and components for about a dozen others.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Been using Winchester Super-X when hunting, but Federal Non Typical rounds look interesting.

I have been shooting Federal Power-Shok to collect brass to reload

·
Pulling my hair.
27,379 Posts
I used Winchester silver tips for years but they aren't around for my 270 anymore. At least the cheap version they made from the 40's till a few years ago. Have never used anything but standard ammo, no fancy stuff. Killed elk, bears and deer with it and any gun good shoot them good.

·
Avatar is back to my favorite things!
9,736 Posts
Don’t hunt, don’t have the time or patience to reload, buy my meat from a local butcher or get some venison from my brother who does hunt once in a while.

I do however have a couple bolt action rifles and use factory stuff, Remington core lokt and Winchester X-something or other for example, way I look at it as long as I can put a head shot on a slow moving zombie when the need arises, I’m good!!

99.5% of my shooting is pistol

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
Well it is all a matter of perspective. The term premium is one of the most overused, misused terms that was invented to sell ammo to shooter to make them feel good :). If you want to get into the weeds I handload (do not reload big difference) as almost all of my hunting rifles are wildcats or were built to use specific neck thickness, bullet type etc dies were made with the same reamers used for the chambering operation that my competition rifles were built to. A lot of this is because they are sporters built on the same tube just smaller contour using a Kelby, Stiller or BAT repeating actions with a few Mausers and Hagns.

Some of the ammunition is legitimately a premium product that being said it may not shoot as well in your rifle and that kills any feelings you had about this ammo giving one more confidence. With deer, hogs and feral dogs I use the SMK and have for many years never had an animal go more than 50 yards. It is all about shot placement and as the OP put it deer are just not that tough to kill when hit in the right spot. Hogs---they are a pain but one low behind the shoulder gets both lungs and then they do not run far. On those use a 338 Slowpoke (improved 338 Lapua shorter neck little less body taper designed the reamer as a competition cartridge but bag manners were so bad forget it) with a 250 SMK 338 and even on running ones having to take a stern to stem shot does an ugly on them.

Bottom line--find the ammo your rifle likes then note the lot number and buy more at that time... It is all about shot placement period end of story.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I only use reloaded ammo in my Remington 700P. I reload to the Federal Gold Match specs. 2650 FPS and 168 grain Sierra BTHP. Now I know those aren't hunting bullets but my point is I never thought I could find a factory load more accurate than what I was rolling myself. Last month I was given a box of Remington Premier Match in 168 grain BTHP. I was shooting .318" groups at 100 yards. I wonder if the factory stuff is getting better across the whole line.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I’ll probably be using one round out of the box of 20 Winchester’s I bought 10 years back or so. Still have enough left for a season or two. I use so little that if it cost $20 a round it wouldn’t break me up. Most seasons lately I’ve only used one. I used to use two, but with my son grown and gone, we just don’t eat more than a single anymore.

·
NRA Life Member
2,168 Posts
Every deer I killed between the age of 13-30 met its demise being on the wrong end of a Remington CoreLokt. Then for some reason I turned into a Hornady snob, but I wouldn’t hesitate to use CoreLokts again if push came to shove. As others have said, good shot placement feeds you well every time.

I can vouch for Ed’s input too - I don’t know what ammo he was shooting when we hunted together but his shot placement was perfect on the deer he made me drag for him.....uphill, through some thick ass brush. LOL!

·
Grip Maker and FFL Dealer
701 Posts
I haven’t bought a box of factory ammo in at least 15 years. I can reload premium hunting rounds for $7-$7.50/box and I can tailor each round to the specific rifle it will be shot out if. All of the brass is fire-formed to each specific rifle and all bullets are seated to 0.015” off the lands for each individual rifle. You can’t buy ammo that tailored or that cheap.

I just like the warm fuzzy feeling I get while I’m loading each round by hand knowing that it’s custom made for a specific rifle. I’m in charge of every part of the process, from creature of the round, to its accuracy, to its firing, and to its visible results on the game. I get a sense of pride knowing I put all of those pieces together to achieve that result. I didn’t buy a rifle off a rack, pay a gun shop to mount and bore sight the scope, and then buy some boxes of ammo off the shelf. Not saying there’s anything wrong with that, but it’s just not for me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts