I’m done with NJ

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CallmeIsh, Nov 14, 2018.

1. CallmeIsh

CallmeIsh Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2016
    Murphy wrecked us with the mag ban. For those who don’t know he took us from 15 to 10 rounds with now grandfather clause. I’m looking to move to Texas or North Carolina. I like Dallas but my wife hates the heat so we’re leaning towards NC. Anyone here recommend moving to NC? The gun laws and taxes would be a vast improvement over NJ. I am a little concerned NC is moving to the left and just learned they still go by a permit system for pistols if you don’t have a CCW which is crazy for a southern state. Still gun and carry laws are a huge difference.

Jimhoag likes this.
  2. psafety

psafety ex Rent-a-Engineer

Oct 11, 2018
    TN gets hot, we have a high sales tax with no state income tax and fair gun laws.

3. BloodyBill

BloodyBill Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 1, 2017
    My recommendation would be SC. I've been here 12 years from NJ. Gun laws are great, taxes are low and the jobs are everywhere.

Steve Owens likes this.
  4. Dallas Knight

Dallas Knight Max Otto von Stierlitz

Jun 22, 2015
    I’d take a good hard look at NC - a great state! Texas has a CCW permit system too. No concealed carry without a license (no open carry of handguns, off your own land, without a license either). Your wife is correct (rule #1); it gets hot as blue blazes down here in Texas. Plus we get hurricanes in south Texas, tornadoes in north Texas and blizzards in the panhandle. And we got high property taxes and rattlesnakes. The Carolinas would deserve a ‘look see’ and probably be a good choice.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  5. 3Baers

3Baers 1911 oldie

Oct 9, 2011
    I understand your plight and I'm sympathetic but Tennessee is full.

6. BloodyBill

BloodyBill Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 1, 2017
    I'm beginning to feel that way about SC too.

TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot likes this.
  7. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    Kentucky, then have @limbkiller start building the wall . . . . . .

8. fieldgrade

fieldgrade resident crank

Mar 13, 2017
    Open carry in NC, but we don't do that in the city because it freaks out the folks from NJ.
    Taxes are reasonable, and the summer is hot. Catfish are jumping, and the cotton is high... wait that's a song.
    Anyway, we do get hurricanes, in spades.

9. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    Have you considered Pennsylvania? Gun laws are reasonable here. We are a shall issue state. It took me all of 20 minutes to get my carry license. (Interpret that how you will :rolleyes:) I think our state has one of the highest population fractions that is licensed to carry. Open carry does not require a license, with the exception of Philadelphia. (Don't open carry in Philly.) There are a lot of rifle and pistol clubs.

10. psafety

psafety ex Rent-a-Engineer

Oct 11, 2018
    I'll concur with PewPew 'bout PA, I lived there 12 years prior to retiring back home to West TN. Got my first CCL in PA. TN is a little more lenient as we are "shall carry" open/concealed OK. We are $100 I think for initial test/class/license then $50/8-yr renewal. PA was much quicker/cheaper. Wherever you end up vote, vote, vote for your local/state politicians that support the 2nd Amendment to prevent the garbage going on in many states. PA & TN have verbiage in our state constitutions to protect the 2nd!

11. fieldgrade

fieldgrade resident crank

Mar 13, 2017
    NC is getting bluer and bluer. All the metro areas vote blue. We've had a huge influx from the northeast starting when RTP opened in the mid 60's and IBM set up shop. The past 30 years people have moved here from from all over the US, and now from all over the world. It's like living in an airport concourse.

12. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Kentucky is as red as it gets. Great gun laws or lack of them. BUT we are full and no room anymore.
    Climate Lexington - Kentucky
    °C | °F
    Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun
    Average high in °F: 41 46 55 66 74 83
    Average low in °F: 25 28 36 45 54 62
    Av. precipitation in inch: 3.19 3.19 4.06 3.58 5.28 4.45
    Days with precipitation: - - - - - -
    Hours of sunshine: - - - - - -
    Average snowfall in inch: 4 5 1 0 0 0
    Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec
    Average high in °F: 86 86 79 67 55 44
    Average low in °F: 66 65 58 47 37 28
    Av. precipitation in inch: 4.65 3.27 2.91 3.15 3.54 3.94
    Days with precipitation: - - - - - -
    Hours of sunshine: - - - - - -
    Average snowfall in inch: 0 0 0 0 0 3

See we have lousy weather. No hurricanes!!!

13. Busa Dave

Busa Dave Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2018
    Texas is Full! Just saw the sign on the highway....

14. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    Guns To Carry has some interesting stats.

https://www.gunstocarry.com/concealed-carry-statistics/#numbers

PA is #2 for total number of citizens with active carry permits, with Florida being #1.

SmartSelect_20181114-182500_Samsung Internet.jpg

Pennsylvania is #5 in highest population fraction with active carry permits. Over 10% of the state population is licensed to carry.

SmartSelect_20181114-182644_Samsung Internet.jpg

Potter County, PA (aka "God's County") has over 50% of its adult population with active carry permits.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/concealed-gun-permits-hit-record-16-million-50-rate-in-pa-county

15. CallmeIsh

Nov 18, 2016
    Texas needs all the conservatives it can get cause you guys are going blue real fast all over. It’s a shame. If Texas votes blue next election we’re screwed. Big demographic changes going on there.

16. CallmeIsh

Nov 18, 2016
    Yeah def a shame about NC. Beautiful state that I wish would stay red.

17. Colorado Sonny

Colorado Sonny Deo Volente Supporting Addict

Sep 25, 2015
    Colorado has gone blue for now...Both houses and the governor! :eek::mad::(

18. walleyemonster

walleyemonster Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2017
    Don't want to hijack the thread, but I don't believe the country is going blue as much as anyone thinks. In the last few years, legal immigration has brought over 5 million immigrants into the country. Illegal's by some estimates are as high as 22 million. Combined with the legal entry comes close to 30 million. That is getting close to 10% of the population. Enough to throw elections blue in many states. It may be blue, but not American blue.

19. xerts1191

xerts1191 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2017
    I’d suggest Az. But if your wife is not heat tolerant, this is not the place for her. Unfortunately Az. is starting to turn a shitty shade of blue.

20. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    American blue or not, blue is blue!!
    Ohio is nice too but no entrance permitted unless you 100% vote conservative!

ZoidMeister likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted