1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Murphy wrecked us with the mag ban. For those who don’t know he took us from 15 to 10 rounds with now grandfather clause. I’m looking to move to Texas or North Carolina. I like Dallas but my wife hates the heat so we’re leaning towards NC. Anyone here recommend moving to NC? The gun laws and taxes would be a vast improvement over NJ. I am a little concerned NC is moving to the left and just learned they still go by a permit system for pistols if you don’t have a CCW which is crazy for a southern state. Still gun and carry laws are a huge difference.

·
Max Otto von Stierlitz
2,363 Posts
I’d take a good hard look at NC - a great state! Texas has a CCW permit system too. No concealed carry without a license (no open carry of handguns, off your own land, without a license either). Your wife is correct (rule #1); it gets hot as blue blazes down here in Texas. Plus we get hurricanes in south Texas, tornadoes in north Texas and blizzards in the panhandle. And we got high property taxes and rattlesnakes. The Carolinas would deserve a ‘look see’ and probably be a good choice.

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
Murphy wrecked us with the mag ban. For those who don’t know he took us from 15 to 10 rounds with now grandfather clause. I’m looking to move to Texas or North Carolina. I like Dallas but my wife hates the heat so we’re leaning towards NC. Anyone here recommend moving to NC? The gun laws and taxes would be a vast improvement over NJ. I am a little concerned NC is moving to the left and just learned they still go by a permit system for pistols if you don’t have a CCW which is crazy for a southern state. Still gun and carry laws are a huge difference.
Kentucky, then have @limbkiller start building the wall . . . . . .

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Have you considered Pennsylvania? Gun laws are reasonable here. We are a shall issue state. It took me all of 20 minutes to get my carry license. (Interpret that how you will :rolleyes:) I think our state has one of the highest population fractions that is licensed to carry. Open carry does not require a license, with the exception of Philadelphia. (Don't open carry in Philly.) There are a lot of rifle and pistol clubs.

·
ex Rent-a-Engineer
269 Posts
I'll concur with PewPew 'bout PA, I lived there 12 years prior to retiring back home to West TN. Got my first CCL in PA. TN is a little more lenient as we are "shall carry" open/concealed OK. We are $100 I think for initial test/class/license then $50/8-yr renewal. PA was much quicker/cheaper. Wherever you end up vote, vote, vote for your local/state politicians that support the 2nd Amendment to prevent the garbage going on in many states. PA & TN have verbiage in our state constitutions to protect the 2nd!

·
resident crank
1,978 Posts
NC is getting bluer and bluer. All the metro areas vote blue. We've had a huge influx from the northeast starting when RTP opened in the mid 60's and IBM set up shop. The past 30 years people have moved here from from all over the US, and now from all over the world. It's like living in an airport concourse.

·
Pulling my hair.
27,382 Posts
Kentucky is as red as it gets. Great gun laws or lack of them. BUT we are full and no room anymore.
Climate Lexington - Kentucky
°C | °F
Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun
Average high in °F: 41 46 55 66 74 83
Average low in °F: 25 28 36 45 54 62
Av. precipitation in inch: 3.19 3.19 4.06 3.58 5.28 4.45
Days with precipitation: - - - - - -
Hours of sunshine: - - - - - -
Average snowfall in inch: 4 5 1 0 0 0
Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec
Average high in °F: 86 86 79 67 55 44
Average low in °F: 66 65 58 47 37 28
Av. precipitation in inch: 4.65 3.27 2.91 3.15 3.54 3.94
Days with precipitation: - - - - - -
Hours of sunshine: - - - - - -
Average snowfall in inch: 0 0 0 0 0 3

See we have lousy weather. No hurricanes!!!

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Guns To Carry has some interesting stats.

https://www.gunstocarry.com/concealed-carry-statistics/#numbers

PA is #2 for total number of citizens with active carry permits, with Florida being #1.

SmartSelect_20181114-182500_Samsung Internet.jpg

Pennsylvania is #5 in highest population fraction with active carry permits. Over 10% of the state population is licensed to carry.

SmartSelect_20181114-182644_Samsung Internet.jpg

Potter County, PA (aka "God's County") has over 50% of its adult population with active carry permits.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/concealed-gun-permits-hit-record-16-million-50-rate-in-pa-county

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Texas is Full! Just saw the sign on the highway....
Texas needs all the conservatives it can get cause you guys are going blue real fast all over. It’s a shame. If Texas votes blue next election we’re screwed. Big demographic changes going on there.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
NC is getting bluer and bluer. All the metro areas vote blue. We've had a huge influx from the northeast starting when RTP opened in the mid 60's and IBM set up shop. The past 30 years people have moved here from from all over the US, and now from all over the world. It's like living in an airport concourse.
Yeah def a shame about NC. Beautiful state that I wish would stay red.

·
Deo Volente
7,015 Posts
Colorado has gone blue for now...Both houses and the governor! :eek::mad::(

·
Registered
579 Posts
Don't want to hijack the thread, but I don't believe the country is going blue as much as anyone thinks. In the last few years, legal immigration has brought over 5 million immigrants into the country. Illegal's by some estimates are as high as 22 million. Combined with the legal entry comes close to 30 million. That is getting close to 10% of the population. Enough to throw elections blue in many states. It may be blue, but not American blue.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
I’d suggest Az. But if your wife is not heat tolerant, this is not the place for her. Unfortunately Az. is starting to turn a shitty shade of blue.

·
Avatar is back to my favorite things!
9,737 Posts
Don't want to hijack the thread, but I don't believe the country is going blue as much as anyone thinks. In the last few years, legal immigration has brought over 5 million immigrants into the country. Illegal's by some estimates are as high as 22 million. Combined with the legal entry comes close to 30 million. That is getting close to 10% of the population. Enough to throw elections blue in many states. It may be blue, but not American blue.
American blue or not, blue is blue!!
Ohio is nice too but no entrance permitted unless you 100% vote conservative!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts