I ain't no gunsmith but I sure fixed my dang gun

Discussion in 'Range Reports & Reviews' started by TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot, Apr 14, 2019.

1. TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot

TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot I do not consent.

Dec 28, 2017
    Reasonably intense range session today to see if my barrel throating work held up on the 9mm Springfield Range Officer Compact.

260 combined rds of Fiocchi 115gr, Speer 124gr and S&B 124gr ball ammo followed by 40 rds of various JHPs made by Sig, Federal and Hornady.

0 failures to feed, eject or go into battery. 0 jammed rounds.

I did have some failures to lock back on empty with two aftermarket mags. The failures were repeatable and these mags were unreliable with all three ball ammo variants. The followers in these mags may have been damaged in some of the severe jams this gun had previously or they may just not be reliable in this gun. The Springfield OEM mags ran 100%.

For the first time since I bought this gun on July 5 2017 it ran reliably. I have never put 300 rds thru it without a round getting stuck in the chamber. I'm not sure but I don't think I ever put more than 50-75 thru it without a problem. It's been to two gunsmiths and neither fixed it. It took me about one (supervised) hour in my gunsmithing class using some needle files, Cratex nubs and felt bobs with a little Flitz polish to get to the heart of the problem and make this gun reliable.

I could have returned it to SA for warranty repair but I knew I would eventually learn enough to fix it myself. It took me a while. It's been 15 months since I shot it - when it failed it's first range test after being "repaired" by the second gunsmith - but today I feel good about it finally being reliable. Now I can move forward and do a few things to make it smoother, nicer and more enjoyable to shoot.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  2. BigSkyGuy

BigSkyGuy Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2018
    Was your gun doing this...? Sorry to hijack your thread, but I was hoping that you could help! 20190411_194151.jpg
    20190411_132141.jpg 20190411_132205.jpg

FWoo45 likes this.

3. TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot

Dec 28, 2017
    No, it wasn’t. This particular gun was getting live rounds stuck in the chamber. You couldn’t get the slide back, couldn’t get the magazine out, couldn’t do anything without applying some sort of seriously excessive force.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

boatdoc likes this.
  4. BigSkyGuy

BigSkyGuy Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2018
    Ahhh, gotcha. Mine seems to be feeding straight into the frame and hanging up like the picture shows...

5. switchback

switchback Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2014
    TWF s pistol has ramped barrel. Yours has ramped frame. Does your ammo ever come into contact with barrel mouth? Will it feed ball and have you used other mags
    Good job on the repair op now on to other things

boatdoc likes this.
  6. Mistman

Mistman Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2015
    My 9mm RO Compact is the same way though it will run most factory stuff. Of all my 9mm's it's the only one w/a tight chamber, should finish ream it but haven't gotten around to it. I reload so plunk EVERY 9mm rnd I reload into the SA barrel, out of 100 I'll get 2 or 3 that won't plunk in that gun. Those I set aside for the other 9mm's which none have an issue with.

I have had bullets stick in the chamber which required quite a bit of effort to remove. Learned how to hold the slide weak hand and slam the grip with my strong hand to release the slide on a stuck round. 1st time it happened I dumbsh*tted out and put a hole in my hand, not a recommended way to learn but it will drive the point home.

TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot likes this.
  7. boatdoc

boatdoc Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2015
    congrats on getting your learn on and making a problem go away @TWF

8. boatdoc

boatdoc Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2015
    having that problem with several 45 acp guns--THANKS to LAX and their bogus "new" ammo

9. TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot

Dec 28, 2017
    Ouch! That sucks. Hope you healed up ok. I eventually learned to smack this pistol as you describe to dislodge it, but that is simply not acceptable behavior.

I need to examine and spec the slide stop now and check how it interacts with the different magazine followers. I had so much trouble with this gun that I never even got started on a real reliability eval and test procedure.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Mistman likes this.
  10. TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot

Dec 28, 2017
    I bought a bunch of Fiocchi .45 that won't chamber reliably. Annie and I have run several thousand 9mm Fiocchi rounds without probs, but this .45 may never get used.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

11. SRTCOP

SRTCOP Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2018
    Good job! I ain't no gunsmith either, but I've certainly helped support a number of custom builders over the years.

12. gaijin

gaijin Well-Known Member

May 18, 2015
    Approve of your decision to fix it yourself.
    My thinking is always; “ let’s see, send it back to the same monkeys that sent it out in this condition- and wait God knows how long for it to return, still boned up?”
    Or
    Do it myself with minimal down time/expense.

No brainer.

I’m perhaps a hobbyist, not gunsmith,
    however I keep 9mm and .45 finish chamber Reamers and throating Reamers on the bench.
    They have been used a lot.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted