I almost lost my two 1911 target pistols!

Discussion in 'Collector's Corner' started by PeaceKeeper, Jan 25, 2012.

1. PeaceKeeper

PeaceKeeper Member

Aug 29, 2011
    My father use to shoot on the US Army pistol team back in the 60’s and had a pair of 1911 he used in the matches. One was a Colt Gold Cup National Match and the other was a standard 1911 frame with a Colt 22 conversion unit on it. He gave me them back in the late 80’s and they were my pride possession. Fast forward to current times, my dad started getting active in shooting again and asked to borrow them. My dad is 83 years old and I don’t know what came over him, he took them to Firearm Traders Warehouse and sold them. When I found out I was upset! I called the gun shop and spoke to the owner Harry Dehart and told him what happened. He offered to sell them back to me for the money he paid for them. When he bought them from my dad he paid a very fair price for them, that was good for my dad but tough for me. I drove to Macon and bought them back and they are now back in my safe where they belong. One day I will give them to a grandchild or some other lucky recipient. As for Firearm Traders Warehouse, they have a nice store with some nice inventory and owned by a truly good man!

2. GeorgiaRedfish

GeorgiaRedfish Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Awesome story and a close one man! I would sure hate to lose those bad boys. Macon GA?

3. PeaceKeeper

PeaceKeeper Member

Aug 29, 2011
    It was close! The gun shop is in Macon, Ga and they have a nice selection of stuff. He had already sent the 45 off to get cleaned up, he had all the non-blued items polished. It really looks better now and I had to pay for that, only fair, and that cost right at $80.

4. GeorgiaRedfish

GeorgiaRedfish Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    I live near Macon, I need to go check that place out.

5. deadguy

deadguy Charlie Daniels Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    Glad you got them back. Don't tell dad....

6. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    Firearm Traders is a great shop! Used to get reloading supplies there,.....tons of mil-surp brass as well!

7. GM*

GM* ~

Oct 15, 2011
    WOW, that was close! I am glad it ended well. It sounds to me like the shop owner is a nice guy.

8. PeaceKeeper

PeaceKeeper Member

Aug 29, 2011
    The owner was nice, he could have really made me pay more or lose them, I ended up paying $2,060 for both of them back. I look at it like giving my dad $2,000 instead of buying back something I already owned.

9. Samcro

Samcro US Army Retired 1911 Supporting Addict

Nov 19, 2011
    Awesome Story exelent out come .

10. GM*

GM* ~

Oct 15, 2011
    That is the right approach!!! I am sure he has given you much more than that before. And the important thing is that you got the pistols back.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  11. pdogkilr

pdogkilr Can't afford Therapy

Jan 7, 2012
    Nice to hear about a dealer like that. Thanks for sharing.

12. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    Might be a good idea to check up on dad "on the QT" if you know what I mean. Mental health issues can come swiftly.. Ron

13. carljc72

carljc72 1911's & Gunleather Supporting Addict

Sep 27, 2011
    Wow. You don't hear many stories of business owners like that these days. I am glad it had a happy ending and hats off to the store owner.

14. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    Knedrgr recently used a Remsport frame/slide for a full build,........turned out awesome!

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted