1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the scare of my life this afternoon, went to the local gun shop that replaced my long-time favorite shop (first transaction with the new name), gave them my name and why I was there, he went into the backroom and I waited way over 1/2 hr probably closer to 45 min. before I asked someone to go check on him. The second guy came out quickly with a funny look on his face and told Joe would be out shortly. Waited over an hour, thought the guy had a heart attack or someone stole the gun I'm there to pick up, lol. The paperwork was GONE or not filed correctly. What a relief that was, I had visions of them not wanting to tell me my long waited for CMP 1911 had disappeared, lol. Paperwork can be redone, stolen guns recovered, not so much! 2 hrs to pick it up, I hate this state!!!!
Anyway, here are some pics of my CMP 1911 Franken gun! I wish it could tell stories, lol.
Question, with no mag installed, it has a sweet slide release, with the mag installed it is very hard to release the slide with my thumb. Is this normal on a 1911A1?

Attachments

·
Banned
821 Posts
Lol, you're upset about a 2 hour wait? You should come to Cali, you gotta wait 10 days here, and that's if the DOJ doesn't decide they wanna screw with you and delay you another 30. Nice purchase though. As far as the slide releasing, you could try a new mag and see if it's any better, but otherwise I'm not sure.

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,798 Posts
It depends upon one's thumb strength as well I suppose.

·
NRA Endowment member
3,727 Posts
Congrats on your new acquisition. I would advise that you not drop the slide on an empty mag utilizing the slide stop. This can cause damage to the gun. You should only do that with a loaded magazine. It is much easier to release with a loaded magazine in place.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The new CZ 1911A1's I just acquired (my first 1911's) are really nicely finished pistols with very tight tolerances.
The safety release was very tight….but is already lightening up with use, and the thorough cleaning/lube I gave it.

The slide release is another matter. It is way to tight to disengage with just the thumb with a mag in the gun. I have to take the spring pressure of the slide and press down hard to move it. So slide releasing with these pistols is a two handed operation. I also had to tap it back in place with a plastic mallet to re-assemble the gun. The little spring loaded pin didn't want to move as the release was pressed in….but it does move freely when depressed directly. Will the all "wear in" like the safety seems to be doing or ?????

Thanks,

·
Registered
32 Posts
Congrats on your CMP . Search the forum, has to be a post similar to your question (see #5 anove from November - 2015). I just finished reading Walt Kulek's book on M1911, he has a good troubleshooting guide (pg 183) for us first timers. Mr Kulek also has a assembly guide published, my next book purchase. Good luck.

·
The Tinker
4,471 Posts
I hope you’re not dropping the slide on an empty chamber on that old girl.

With a mag in place the slide release is supposed to be stiff.
Well, with a empty mag anyway. That's how the slide gets locked back. Now with a mag that has one or more cartridges in it, the slide stop should require a firm push, but not be too hard. :)

·
Registered
690 Posts
Question, with no mag installed, it has a sweet slide release, with the mag installed it is very hard to release the slide with my thumb. Is this normal on a 1911A1?
Nice .45. Looks like the ones Uncle Sugar made me tote around.

Others have already given you the right answer to your question. Allow me to be a bit more direct in the interest of achieving total clarity.

Your pistol is not striker fired. It is not plastic. It is not a Glock. It's manual of arms is different from them. When an empty magazine is in your 1911 and the slide is locked back you are not supposed to even be able to push the slide stop down to allow the slide to go forward.

If you're actually able to drop the slide by pushing down on the slide stop with one thumb while an empty mag is in the pistol, either the magazine spring is extremely weak and should be replaced or you have an extremely strong thumb.

Never ever drop a 1911 slide on an empty chamber (unless you're testing a newly fitted hammer/sear) as it can damage the delicate contact surfaces of the sear and hammer. It is considered poor gun handling etiquette to do so and is the mark of a 1911 novice.

The correct method for lowering a locked back slide is to remove the empty magazine then slowly ease the slide forward until the pistol is in battery.

·
Avatar is back to my favorite things!
9,787 Posts
Lol, you're upset about a 2 hour wait? You should come to Cali, you gotta wait 10 days here, and that's if the DOJ doesn't decide they wanna screw with you and delay you another 30. Nice purchase though. As far as the slide releasing, you could try a new mag and see if it's any better, but otherwise I'm not sure.
Says he is from Komifornia, welcome and enjoy them pistolas!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice .45. Looks like the ones Uncle Sugar made me tote around.

Others have already given you the right answer to your question. Allow me to be a bit more direct in the interest of achieving total clarity.

Your pistol is not striker fired. It is not plastic. It is not a Glock. It's manual of arms is different from them. When an empty magazine is in your 1911 and the slide is locked back you are not supposed to even be able to push the slide stop down to allow the slide to go forward.

If you're actually able to drop the slide by pushing down on the slide stop with one thumb while an empty mag is in the pistol, either the magazine spring is extremely weak and should be replaced or you have an extremely strong thumb.

Never ever drop a 1911 slide on an empty chamber (unless you're testing a newly fitted hammer/sear) as it can damage the delicate contact surfaces of the sear and hammer. It is considered poor gun handling etiquette to do so and is the mark of a 1911 novice.

The correct method for lowering a locked back slide is to remove the empty magazine then slowly ease the slide forward until the pistol is in battery.
Thanks for the input, this is my first 1911, never been a big fan of this style of gun, grew up shooting revolvers and much more accurate IMHO. So I do realize that I have some learning to do with this style of a gun and appreciate honest education.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Is there any potential loss of value if I take this piece of history out and cycle some rounds through it?
I'm not a collector so can only advise you to get in touch with someone who is. If you can't have an expert in such matters actually inspect the pistol in person, you'll have to provide lots of detailed pictures for the expert to examine in order to provide you with an educated opinion.

The odds are that your fine pistol will not qualify as a collectible investment. The vast majority of GI 1911s were rebuilt and refinished (many more than once) across the years. The ones I carried and used in the 1970s and 1980s were manufactured during WWII. I seem to recall some that were older than that. None of them were as originally manufactured.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.