1911 Firearm Addicts banner

I did it again bought another series 70 Gold Cup

2K views 27 replies 17 participants last post by  *Double Diamond Colt* 
#1 ·
Just couldnt help myself as I have almost lost count of how many of these I have . Something about the Colt Blue and the quality back then . But these guns are always a project that is part of the fun that attracts me I think .

This example was no different . The sight needed the pin that holds the detent screw and spring fixed and the trigger felt just a little to good .

In previous experience this has always led to the need for parts to be replaced but I was willing to shoot it first to see how it functioned before I ripped into it as I bought it from a friend and he said the gun was perfect .

It shot very well as I wound 100 rounds into a baseball size hole at 25 yrds problem was the hammer followed 3x in that 100 rounds .

Back to the basement for repair As I figured it had the stock parts but the hammer hooks had been taken below 18 Lucky I had a fresh Gold Cup hammer in the bubble pack and a cylinder and slide sear and disconnect along with a Brownells light pull spring .

Set it up at 3.2 lbs and after 200 rds of target ammo all is well rest of gun was spot on and it shoots like all the rest paid $700 thought it was a fair deal

See less See more
#13 ·
I got a picture of the new Gold Cup I just worked on and put some of my other series 70sgold cups in also a couple of my 60s series National Match guns

Attachments

#26 ·
Not sure what building my old Gold Cups were built in back in the 60s and 70s

I just know in a world of matte black striker fired plastic they are a beautiful dinosaur with distinctive quality gone from todays world . Kinda like asking what building the 67 L88 Corvette was built in .
Dosent matter what building they were built in people shooting Glocks and driving Honda Civics would love to have either LOL

#27 ·
I must admit I like Gold Cups also but I also like the new ones. For older ones below is my 1966 I bought from a shooty buddy with box etc. In the middle my 79 MkIV Series 70 I bought new in 79. On the bottom a 1988 MkIV Series 80 I bought from another shooty buddy.

For newer ones a 1996 enhanced on top. In the middle a 2010 GCT. On the bottom a 2012 MkIV Series 80 "round top". All these came with rubber wrap around grips which I replaced with some wood stocks I ordered off the Colt website back when one could order them there.

Even the new ones are not bad. Below my 2015 GCNM MkIV Series 70 in 45 over one in 9mm made in 2017.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.