I finally thinned the herd.

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Slapshot, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2017
    I've been contemplating selling off some guns and reducing my inventory of .45 in particular. The main reason so I can justify buying some higher end 1911's in 9mm or 38SUP. I tossed around putting them in the classified here but I didn't really want to hassle with negotiating, payment, shipping, etc. Mostly Sig's, Kimber's, Glock's, XD's which generally don't do well here anyway. We've got an auction house in Burton, Ohio about 40 minutes away from me that always seems to bring top buck. I've bought a few guns from them and I've always been happy with them. There's a 15% commission but they do all the advertising, shipping, and I know everything is legal. I also brought 5) 1911's with me, 2) Sig's 1) Kimber, 1) DW (9mm ironically), and a LB. I had a pit in my stomach the whole way out there and nearly turned back more than once. I contemplated pulling out the LB and the DW but went ahead and carried them into the store. I sat down with the gentlemen who was very nice and inventoried the guns. We had a mutual background in machine tools and reminisced about the good old days. He went thru everything and I was actually fine until I we got to the LB. It's a gun that's not even broke in, probably less than 300 rounds, never been field stripped. I just don't really enjoy shooting it for some reason. I've got a Stinger that may be one of my favorite guns but this one just doesn't do it for me. I couldn't do it! I apologized but told him that one was going to go back home with me. he just laughed a little and told me that was probably a good choice. He even walked to the back and wiped it down for me and said he just liked holding it. I felt a lot better about everything after deciding to keep the LB. Some of the guns I bought really well but some of them I'm sure I'm going to take a hit on in this market. I'll let you know how I do in about 30 days.

Jdb5324, gaijin, azpoolguy and 12 others like this.
  2. SparkyAZ

SparkyAZ It is a dry heat, right...

Sep 11, 2012
    Tag this one to follow along, best of luck to you with your auctions.

Slapshot likes this.

3. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    In for updates . . . . with fear and trepidation for you . . . . . . .

Slapshot likes this.
  4. Old Sea Dragon

Old Sea Dragon Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Good luck, I've seen a lot of people get auction fever and pay more than fair price for stuff(including myself). As long as it's well attended you should do well!

Slapshot likes this.
  5. TheCollector

TheCollector Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2018
    Thank you for posting your "first step" experience. I'm considering doing something similar. I haven't convinced myself to take it further than just a thought as of now. If I do, I'm sure I'll feel the same hollow chest that you did.

Slapshot likes this.
  6. Slapshot

Sep 6, 2017
    It took me quite awhile to actually do it. I’d highlight guns I didn’t shoot or didn’t like on a spreadsheet but when I pulled them out of the safe I couldn’t do it. It ain’t easy and the next batch is going to be even harder.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ZoidMeister likes this.
  7. RatBikeRod

RatBikeRod You Don’t Know Me!

Nov 22, 2017
    While my “forced” reduction has not felt great, it has allowed me to assess my needs and usages. Now, pretty much everything I have has a stated use. Some are EDC variables that I like to keep, but for the most part I got down to my hard combat/home protection guns and my EDC range guns. I ended up with (3) P320’s mostly stached around the house and one daily tuppaware carry and my (2) 1911’s (primary and backup).

That said, I will most probably sell one of those and fund getting my Guardian 38 Super back and maybe one 9mm, 38 Super conversion gun.

It was hard, but worth it in the long run. I now really have almost zero fluff, although the safe is really bare.

Good luck to you will be watching.

cgff, TheCollector and Slapshot like this.
  8. TheCollector

Aug 25, 2018
    I'm looking forward to the arrival of my newly purchased Valkyrie 9mm...... making the 38 superb conversion.

9. mikegalway

mikegalway CEO of DILLIGAF industries Supporting Addict

Feb 23, 2014
    I'm contemplating doing the exact same thing . Sell a bunch , replace them with one or two .

Slapshot and TheCollector like this.
  10. TheCollector

Aug 25, 2018
    WRONG!!!!!!!!
    Sell a bunch....................... replace them with a NEW BUNCH!

11. RatBikeRod

RatBikeRod You Don’t Know Me!

Nov 22, 2017
    I am trying to decide between a Valkyrie, a Vigil (really like the shorter beaver tail on the Vigil) or one of two VBob’s at my LGS to convert. The two VBob’s are blem’s one in SS and one in DF. The SS is $250 less than the DF, but I like black guns. The Vigil is calling my name the loudest right now. I am not sure I like the front of the slide on the Valk.

First order of business is to buy back my Guardian, then get one of the above.

TheCollector likes this.
  12. TheCollector

Aug 25, 2018
    How could you NOT like this??? :confused:

[​IMG]

Slapshot likes this.
  13. xerts1191

xerts1191 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2017
    15% is a bargain for selling at an auction house.

Slapshot likes this.
  14. Slapshot

Sep 6, 2017
    Boy am I glad I pulled my Baer from the auction. A LB Premier in excellent condition just sold for $1340.00. Less the 15% commission leaves the seller with $1139.00. Disappointed would not begin to describe my feelings if that's what mine would have sold at. My first gun ends tonight, a Colt Trooper MKIII I bought off GB, and it's not doing to bad. The rest will be ending over the next 5 days. When I cost my guns I include everything including shipping, taxes, transfer fees, etc... My target is to get out of them what I have in them less the 15% commission and it's looking pretty good so far.

15. agccar

agccar New Member

Nov 27, 2018
    Good luck hopefully you get exactly what you are looking for!

Slapshot likes this.
  16. Busstuf

Busstuf New Member

Feb 22, 2012
    I too have been thinking of "thinning the herd" a little! I did not know what the current market conditions were like. Is there a better time of year to sell 1911's in? Good Luck at the auction.

17. 1911fanatic

1911fanatic Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2011
    I don’t have a herd to thin anymore. I have 1 1911. The others are a cz75 shadow sao, which I’m not selling and 2 da/sa p07’s which aren’t going anywhere. I’m on the edge of a binge possibly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. JJM7288

JJM7288 Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2018
    I decided to retire from N-SSA shooting (live fire Civil War guns) after 30 years. At one time I had multiple custom rifles, rifle muskets, carbines and smoothbore muskets.

I started thinning the herd a few years ago as the sport is in a death spiral. Last week I sold my last 2 shooters, a custom 1855 Harpers Ferry rifle and Shiloh Sharps carbine, moulds, sizers, gear...

It was tough to part with the last two shooters.

I did replace all that stuff with a Les Baer Premier 2 and had enough left over to pay for my oldest daughter to attend airline dispatch school!!

Slapshot and gps man like this.
  19. awmp

awmp Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Apr 27, 2012
    The market is really "soft" right now, many a LB and others are going very low, is , a LB Thunder Ranch went for $1300 locally and I could not get to it fast enough.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
    Slapshot likes this.
  20. Slapshot

Sep 6, 2017
    Five guns have sold with four more to go over the next 36 hours. I'm going to start posting the results one gun at a time. This will keep the posts shorter and allow others to comment if so inclined.
    The first gun sold was a 1968 Colt Trooper Mark III 6” blued gun in OK shape. I bought it off Gunbroker after a couple of Jack Daniels Single Barrel’s and never really cared too much for it even though it was a good shooter. I had $575.00 in it including shipping and transfer fees and it sold for $570.00 less the 15% commission leaving me with $484.50. I wasn't expecting much out of this gun until I sat down with the gentlemen from the auction house. He thought the Colt's were bringing a premium and that it would do very well which got my hopes up because I needed a couple "winners" to offset some of the "losers". Keep in mind my goal was to get out of them what I had in them less the 15% commission so all in all I was happy with the price it brought in a down market.
    55-1.jpg

ZoidMeister likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted