I got a "new" thing.... in .308!

Discussion in 'Rifles & Shotguns' started by gladeparkflyer, Dec 30, 2011.

1. gladeparkflyer

gladeparkflyer New Member

Nov 27, 2011
    sorry bout the pic quality, i'm a carpenter, not a photographer. heirloom from my stepdad and i know NOTHING about
    savage, their history or reputation. it's stamped model 99F and the scope is another mystery to me. No manufacterer names and near the eye piece its stamped
    V9-1 USA. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet but i'm goin tomorrow!
    I'd love to have some input on this rifle, call it a fault, but i like to know a little about what i'm shooting. :) I'll try for some better pics later if anybodys interested.

Attached Files:

2. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    What a wonderful gun. I have one in .308 I inherited from my dad. Savage started making these guns sometime in the 20s. The .300 savage and the new 250-3000 were the main calibers at the time. Was made in others after that. Not appreciated much out west but a fav for years in the Northeast as the gun packs easy and fits in the hand great. Don't sell it as they are getting harder to find in good condition. The scope with the V tells me it might be a weaver but I could be wrong. Anyway great gun.

3. gladeparkflyer

Nov 27, 2011
    thanks man. I've always liked leverguns. its just easier for me to stay on target than it is with a bolt gun. And never fear, selling guns isn't a problem for me. I just don't, i tend to form long term relationships with stuff like guns, cars, tools.. :)
    Tom was a kid in the early 50s and i know this was his only deer rifle, just not sure exactly when he got it. i guess the only way to really know the guns age is its serial# huh? If they started making them in the 20s, this is a potential antique which is ok, my model Ts body was built in the 20s and i still drive that. ;)

4. R0CKETMAN

R0CKETMAN NRA member Supporting Addict

Dec 24, 2011
    Lever action .308 is bad ass. Nice

5. gladeparkflyer

Nov 27, 2011
    i just noticed, the GIANT front sight appears to be brass..... or bronze... or somethin.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  6. gladeparkflyer

Nov 27, 2011
    and a round counter on the lower left of the receiver! Wow, this is a cool gun!

7. DAT85

DAT85 BIG OL' BALD HAID ! Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    I had one back in the '70's when I had an FFL.

A guy traded me a 99 with a hundred rds of .303 Savage for which it was chambered.

Came with a Redfield 4x scope.Great rifle.Very accurate.
    I shot up all the ammo and sold it for a few $ more than I had in it.The ammo was almost non-existent at the time.

If it was in .308 or any caliber for which ammo is still available I would probably still own it.

DAT85

8. GM*

GM* ~

Oct 15, 2011
    Now that is a beautiful gun :thumb:. Congrats!

9. buyobuyo

buyobuyo Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Nice gun. A buddy of mine from high school has one in .308 too. It looks like Limbkiller is correct about the scope being a Weaver. A quick google search for v9-1 comes up with weaver info.

10. Joe C

Joe C Custom Pistolsmith Sponsor

Sep 11, 2011
    I'll give ya $50.00 for it...o.k. o.k. $100.00... :rofl2:

JUST KIDDING! Great rifle and a great caliber! Don't ever sell that thing if you can help it! Like LK said, they weren't thought much of out west but in the "woodlands" they were the rifle to have, and still are in a lot of respects. Congrats!

11. gladeparkflyer

Nov 27, 2011
    thanks buyo, nice to know what i'm squinting through. :) I was surprised to see that "USA" stamp on it. Can't imagine why these weren't more popular out this way, if for no other reason than a slightly faster followup shot than i can pull off with a bolt gun. I dunno 'bout you guys but if i was wandering in grizzly country alot, that would cross my mind. :)

12. limbkiller

Aug 18, 2011
    Here's mine. I know that it has killed 1 bear, 1 elk, and at leasr 40 deer.

[​IMG]

13. gladeparkflyer

Nov 27, 2011
    Hey limb, what do you know about the guts of these savages? My safety is.... undependable at best. It feels solid sometimes but other times, it just lets go and the firing pin drops with less pressure than a trigger pull. It wont keep me from hunting or shooting but it WILL keep me from hunting with 1 chambered... I'm smart thataway.

14. limbkiller

Aug 18, 2011
    Sorry I don't have a clue what could be wrong. I'd take it to a gunsmith and have him look at it. To nice of a gun to not have it working properly not to mention dangeruos. Somebody else might pick it up and .............

15. buyobuyo

buyobuyo Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Here is an exploded parts diagram: http://www.urban-armory.com/diagrams/savage99.htm

From what I can tell on the drawing, the safety is held in place by a spring that acts sort of like a detent. The safety on my 220A is the same way. The spring is probably just worn out so it isn't holding the safety in place. You maybe able to bend the spring so it engages better.

16. limbkiller

Aug 18, 2011
    Mine is a model 99E and the safety is down on the trigger not on top like most guns. Here's a pic in the on position.
    [​IMG]

17. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
  18. limbkiller

Aug 18, 2011
    I hope mine doen't brake. LOL

19. limbkiller

Aug 18, 2011
  20. gladeparkflyer

Nov 27, 2011
    yup. thats the same style safety. I have no intention of opening this thing up on my own as i know a good GS who'll be happy to take my $$$ :)

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted