1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my 1911's has the Full Length guide rod and the cap with the center hole. OMG, I hate it. I've spring shot that cap across the room more than a few times and this past weekend it happened at my hunting club and I had to search outside in the leaves and grass for a while to find it. It needs to go. My DW Vigil has a short guide rod and I don't have this issue with the button cap on it.

Is a stubby guide rod a workable option for a full sized 1911? Looking online I see the two piece rods that need a paper clip, the full sized one piece and just a few of the shorter than full length. I think the FL guide rod was a design decision to increase reliability or reduce wear in the 1911A1 but man do I hate that thing.

Better options are?

·
Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled.
4,980 Posts
How about a short guide rod and its concomitant cap?

·
Premium Member
3,460 Posts
Hey buddy,

Go to 1911UltraTool website. Click on 1911 bushing tool. It's the neatest invention since sliced bread. No more cussing & fussing and never ever a shooting spring.

I bought the professional model with all caliber inserts. You will thank me a thousand times!!!!!

Go to the video & watch the video! You'll probably buy one & love it. SIMPLE!!!

Jim Daniel
PS. After looking, tell me what you think of it.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Removing a FLGR is always better accomplished if you have 3 hands:D:D
Obviously one to hold the slide, one to operate bushing wrench, AND one to catch the flying parts.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Removing a FLGR is always better accomplished if you have 3 hands:D:D
Obviously one to hold the slide, one to operate bushing wrench, AND one to catch the flying parts.
Too funny and true. I have the bushing wrenches that came with these pistols but man what a wrestling match. The DW doesn't give me as much trouble since the whole button can be pushed in with my thumb and not just the almost razor sharp ring. I'll take a look at the suggestions above and report back.
Thanks all

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
If you really want to have some fun, try and take a FLGR out of a new or slightly used Les Baer. You almost need a cheater pipe to do it on some of them.
Seriously, what I do is to take the slide off the frame and let the bottom of the guide rod relax a little bit against the barrel lug, not so much that it gets the rod in a bind, but that seems to work a lot easier on my Baers.

·
Premium Member
1,024 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,024 Posts
Hey buddy,

Go to 1911UltraTool website. Click on 1911 bushing tool. It's the neatest invention since sliced bread. No more cussing & fussing and never ever a shooting spring.
https://www.1911ultratool.com

I am seriously considering it, as I shoot a 1911 weekly and always clean it immediately afterwards.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, that Ultratool is very sweet. TBH though its hard for me to justify that price for what is really a gadget. Get the price down to about $25 and it would be more attractive

·
Premium Member
1,024 Posts
I like FLGR's....all you guys that despise them.... pass them along!
A solution to a non-existant problèm. I have one and it is one too many.

Reactions: Dwe and 1911_Bandit

·
Batteries_included
358 Posts
Yes, that Ultratool is very sweet. TBH though its hard for me to justify that price for what is really a gadget. Get the price down to about $25 and it would be more attractive
This tool enables me to take down AND reassemble my 1911. Without it, my grip and overall strength are just not enough to get the job done anymore. To me, it was worth it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
One of my 1911's has the Full Length guide rod and the cap with the center hole. OMG, I hate it. I've spring shot that cap across the room more than a few times and this past weekend it happened at my hunting club and I had to search outside in the leaves and grass for a while to find it. It needs to go. My DW Vigil has a short guide rod and I don't have this issue with the button cap on it.

Is a stubby guide rod a workable option for a full sized 1911? Looking online I see the two piece rods that need a paper clip, the full sized one piece and just a few of the shorter than full length. I think the FL guide rod was a design decision to increase reliability or reduce wear in the 1911A1 but man do I hate that thing.

Better options are?
Go with a GI guide rod,18.5# spring and a bullet proof plug. All Wilson Combat parts. Then throw away the FLGR

·
I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now
6,047 Posts
one more reason for a good bull barrel ;)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts