I have a legal question??

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by salelcid, Nov 8, 2018.

1. salelcid

salelcid Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Nov 28, 2015
    i am not smart on this, so I put this up for y’all to inform me.

So if state have to honor, driver license and marriage license from other states.... then why don’t they have to honor conceal carry permit from other states??

Wasn’t this the reason gay marriage was honored?

Just asking?

Thanks for your thiughtS.

2. Justin_Pelletier

Justin_Pelletier Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 27, 2016
    Someday we all will be equal!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

UBOATDOC, xerts1191 and salelcid like this.

3. Justin_Pelletier

Dec 27, 2016
    Just get your Utah and Florida. Can carry a lot of states with them.

salelcid likes this.
  4. Oldgunner

Oldgunner Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2018
    I'm afraid you're comparing apples and oranges.

5. DukeSoprano

DukeSoprano Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Jan 17, 2013
    Don't shoot the messenger!

I had to take a 16 hour class on safe gun handling and prove I can handle a gun and shoot 30 rounds into a target. Many of those hours were learning the law.

Myself personally, I found the best instructor I could, and I admit people I know just looked for the cheapest class and it showed when they were still asking me questions after they passed their cheap class.

So my point is, and yes I assume all the members here are well trained and know the laws, but a lot of people do not and from Illinois point of view, you need to be trained before you can carry a firearm.

UBOATDOC, wcanterbury and salelcid like this.
  6. El Perdido

El Perdido Fictional Western Sage

Oct 3, 2011
    Because those states think that privileges outweigh rights, which is highly illogical and unexplainable.

7. Justin_Pelletier

Dec 27, 2016
    My LTC class was 40hrs of classroom And 8hrs at the range. Was done by the Mass State Police.

Learned a lot, rather be educated than just wing it. Plus mass sucks to get a license. Figured do the state police class when I was in school. It worked.

wcanterbury, DukeSoprano and salelcid like this.
  8. Oldgunner

Oldgunner Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2018
    I'd say that was a smart move. It was probably the longest and most thorough course taught anywhere in the USA. However, a lot of folks can't find the time for a 40 hour course. I can't imagine what the 8 hours on the range entailed.

9. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    Ohio was (lowered class time to 8hrs recently) similar to most other states with 12hrs classroom time and a minimum round count for safety, firearm knowledge I believe it was 50 rounds for my class but we shot A LOT more:)

The class that I took was taught by the firearm instructor for our local police and sheriffs depts. was a very good class and a lot of fun!

Ohio is fairy easy if your a good citizen and have a decent sheriff. Ohio’s process if anyone’s interested.

https://www.buckeyefirearms.org/ohio-ccw-application-checklist

UBOATDOC likes this.
  10. joerockhead

joerockhead "BOURBON" It's not just for Breakfast anymore ! Supporting Addict

Oct 12, 2011

I AGREE with this...
    I'm pro 2A I'm Pro CC I'm Pro all of it... but I have assisted as a Range Officer in many CPL classes in my state where some people in the class were basically clueless about handling firearms.
    Our gun club stopped doing CPL classes for people without prior experience ( NRA basic pistol class etc.) just for this reason.

UBOATDOC and salelcid like this.
  11. El Perdido

El Perdido Fictional Western Sage

Oct 3, 2011
    Even though I comply with the law in regard to a carry license, I have a fundamental issue with The State requiring a license to exercise a right guaranteed by the Constitution

12. Fred_G

Fred_G Known Agitator

Dec 29, 2015
    I see your point. I have seen some bad behavior at ranges. But, there is that whole "Shall not be infringed" thing in some old document somewhere.

In my state, it is an 8 hour course, with 50, 60 rounds fired to qualify for a CHP. I did not "feel" qualified to carry, so I sought out training. That was years ago, I carry daily now.

But, as the 2A is a right, we should (in my opinion) be very careful about requiring training for a right.

I mean, are classes required to for our 1A rights? When we let legislation regulate a natural right, we run into the potential for the government to make the "right" unobtainable for the average citizen.

13. DukeSoprano

Jan 17, 2013
    No but a permit may be required

14. Dallas Knight

Dallas Knight Max Otto von Stierlitz

Jun 22, 2015
    But did you have “state” mandated training to stand on that soapbox?

15. DukeSoprano

Jan 17, 2013
    Nope but im not going to accidentally shoot someone by standing on a soapbox either

UBOATDOC likes this.
  16. Dallas Knight

Dallas Knight Max Otto von Stierlitz

Jun 22, 2015
    Didn’t realize “state” mandated training came with an assurance you couldn’t accidentally shoot someone.

azpoolguy likes this.
  17. Guy Montag

Guy Montag Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2014
    Looks like someone might have forgotten this is a gun forum, thanks for the candor, as unsettling as it may be.

18. DukeSoprano

Jan 17, 2013
    I am not arguing with anyone, I am all for the second amendment. I think if someone carries a gun that they should have some training.

If you think anybody should have the right to carry a gun even if they have no knowledge of how to safely handle one, so be it.

Just try to see my point, you are not the average person. How do I know? For one you are here. You know guns and I assume you know how to handle one. If I had to be in a bad situation, the people of this forum would be the ones I would want alongside me.

HOWEVER, I have actually seen people try to load bullets into a mag backwards, a couple weeks ago I took an intro class for competitive shooting just because I wanted to better myself (yes I learned a lot) BUT there was a person there that could not even figure out how to pick a gun up off a table as instructed with 2 hands to keep the gun from possibly spinning around and sweeping the whole class.

azpoolguy and UBOATDOC like this.
  19. DukeSoprano

Jan 17, 2013
    This is my point, This is a gun forum, you are all GUN People. You know guns, I bet you know everything about guns and I respect all of you!

But not everyone is a gun person and I guess my point is, before someone should be allowed to carry a loaded firearm...............they should become a gun person.

Sorry if I offended anyone but there are A LOT of careless people out there

20. UBOATDOC

UBOATDOC THE DOCTOR WILL SEE YOU......LATER Supporting Addict

Apr 5, 2015
    Or top and bottom......LOL

Bro. Pappaw likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted