I know any guns better than no gun BUT

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Wheels No More, Apr 6, 2019.

1. Wheels No More

Wheels No More Long gone

May 12, 2015
    For those of you with real world experience.
    Would you carry a 9mm for self defense?
    I know all the arguments about modern ammo etc... But
    @limbkiller ran into an alien disguised as a cell phone and shot the thing multiple times.
    So I'll ask you LK knowing what damage it did or didn't do would you carry a 9?
    Those of you that have seen what it will do to raging animals or whatever you've had to shoot.
    How strong do you feel about carrying it.
    I'm not trying to start a 45 vs 9 war.
    Heck I carry a 38 super most of the time but would like to carry the 9, I'm just not sure how I feel about it's effectiveness.
    I'm trying to decide if I feel safe carrying a 9.
    I'm so on the fence right now from what information I have seen and gathered.
    So as always when in doubt ask the addicts.
    Once you sort thru all the BS answers you can find the truth.
    So please weigh in any experiences good or bad that you have encountered, with that 9mm.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
  2. Guy Montag

Guy Montag Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2014
    .45 or 9mm are equally harmless to those with proper ninja flipping technique.

In the real world you carry a pocket 4 bore, don't take chances.

xerts1191, Kip, Harleyvato and 5 others like this.

3. BBP

BBP Enabler Sponsor

Feb 1, 2014
    Why F around.

[​IMG]

zipper046, ronin11, B81 and 15 others like this.
  4. notshawn54

notshawn54 Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2016
    Having laid eyes upon said alien, I too wonder how my 45acp would fair. Seeing that I still like my alien and it hasn’t wronged me, this question still goes unanswered.

Kip, FWoo45, Jollyroger1 and 2 others like this.
  5. Bugs

Bugs Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Let's run an experiment. Let me shoot you with a 9mm and a .45 and you can decide if 9mm has enough oomph. ;)

6. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    I pack a 9mm M&P Shield anymore. That was a tough alien though. Not a single bullet shot through it. Not even close.

mikemac, xerts1191, Kip and 8 others like this.
  7. Wheels No More

Wheels No More Long gone

May 12, 2015
    See that's what got me thinking about this.
    I expected more damage and then a couple people that have had to shoot animals with the nine seemed inefficient, from what they said.

8. Wheels No More

Wheels No More Long gone

May 12, 2015
    Sure thing that sounds like a wonderful way to decide. :p

Kip, Glock2740 and Bugs like this.
  9. BigJimP

BigJimP Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2018
    That's why we practice "Triple Taps".... and keep shooting until the threat is over !!
    ( A 9mm is plenty, if you hit what you are shooting at ... in my opinion ).

I carry a 5" Wilson Protector model in 9mm all the time....and I don't feel vulnerable because of the caliber.

10. Lou1

Lou1 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Sep 1, 2018
    4EA065A7-D20A-444F-81A0-5BFC14F3C068.jpeg I’ve pondered this question often. I currently carry .45acp only. I came across an article recently from the Journal of the American Medical Association that I thought was interesting.

Mr. Knight likes this.
  11. Fred_G

Fred_G Known Agitator

Dec 29, 2015
    I have no problem carrying a 9mm, 38 Superb, or the prophet's caliber. The main thing is can you hit what you are aiming at. Of course, there is always 10mm in a 1911.

12. Glanoril

Glanoril Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Oct 31, 2015
    I carried 45 for a long time. However I find with 9mm I can put more rounds on target more quickly. That's become more important to me over time than "Stoppin' powah™" was. And this is coming from a guy with an image of Elmer Keith as his avatar thing.

Plus a 9mm 1911 is basically cheating at shooting, plus with more and more options for optics mounting (RMR plate & Nighthawk IOS) it's not hard to make one ragged hole in a target very quickly.

Truth is, real men carry 50 AE. ;)

mikemac, FWoo45 and Mr. Knight like this.
  13. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    I carry 45 most, 9mm every so often (until my EDC X9 arrives) and J-frame in 357 when the weathers just too damn hot!!

14. Razer

Razer On The Razers Edge Staff Member Admin Moderator Supporting Addict

Jul 1, 2012
    When I carry my 9mm, I use the Federal HST. Probably not as lethal as .45, but I think it will do the job.

ZArugby, razorbacker and Hannibal like this.
  15. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    That is what wouldn't shoot thru a $50 cell phone. 7 shots at about 15'. I still use it BUT............

Kip, Dave Jessee and Mr. Knight like this.
  16. Scaramouche

Scaramouche Student of the Columbian Exchange Supporting Addict

Sep 15, 2015
    P1030690.JPG
    After shooting the phone out of the tree @limbkiller puts three more 9 mm slugs into it and we're still getting a dial tone

xerts1191, Kip, Glock2740 and 12 others like this.
  17. Razer

Razer On The Razers Edge Staff Member Admin Moderator Supporting Addict

Jul 1, 2012
    Ugh....

Mr. Knight likes this.
  18. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2018
    I don’t think it matters what you carry as long as you can use it efficiently. A damn 380 high point would get the job done if you can shoot it. The last ammo test I performed on a standard issue vest without the plates, got me to switch over to a 9.

Glanoril likes this.
  19. Old Sea Dragon

Old Sea Dragon Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Perhaps at Limkillers next gathering you all in attendance should test a few more loads against these aliens. Hydra Shok deep in 9mm and in 45, 230 grain ball and HST. I don't know what load Lk was using but I am comfortable carrying 9mm but carry 124 grain on up. Accuracy always trumps power but some jobs require a heavy hammer.

20. gaijin

gaijin Well-Known Member

May 18, 2015
    My “real world” experience with both caliber are limited to finishing shots on game and are summed up thusly;

Whitetail deer;
    Neck shots at 4’-
    9mm 3 deer- after one shot deer still “with me”.
    .45 4 deer- after one shot, lights OUT.
    NONE of the deer, 9mm or .45, continued aggression after 1 shot.

I carry and feel confident with both.

Cw1023, Kip, Glock2740 and 6 others like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted