I need a smaller thumb safety for my Commander

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by TwicePipe, Jul 4, 2020.

Tags:
  1. TwicePipe

TwicePipe Member

Jul 2, 2015
    I've got large hands and my thumbs ends up touching the extended thumb safeties on a Commander just enough to trigger the safety while shooting. I like the safety on my Colt Wiley Clapp Commander, it's small like an original GI safety so I don't contact it but it's got a little more surface area and serrations. It looks like the Wilson Combat Retro Checkered Thumb Safety so I"m looking at that. The EGW GI thumb safety is only $54 but it's a little pedestrian compared to the Wilson. Anybody got suggestions? This is a for a Colt Combat Commander btw. Shame to have to change the gun as it's an awesome piece but I'm engaging the safety almost once a magazine.

retrieverman likes this.
  2. Old Rooster

Old Rooster Active Member

May 17, 2020

3. Old Rooster

May 17, 2020
    I just had a Wilson low mount BP safety installed on a Springfield with an extended safety. It’s the berries. I have to do the same on my Colt Commander with a fancy safety. I can’t ride the safety as I should. My Government safety is OK. The people who know more than me tell me my thumb needs to ride the top of the safety. I take them at their word.

Attached Files:

4. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015
    I have the WC "retro" on a NH build, but I recently found the Harrison offers one as well, there's not much "purchase" on the WC, although I do like it.

0630201144a.jpg 0630201144b.jpg 0000786_retro-thumb-safety_550.jpeg

Spokes, blamo and Old Rooster like this.
  5. Old Rooster

May 17, 2020
    I like the looks of the Harrison but need to stay with the low mount myself. Something about the way my hands are built, I think.i have to be able to squeeze the grip safety while riding the thumb safety.

6. pcar157

pcar157 Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2019
  7. Jim w.

Jim w. Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2016
    It is easy to make the present one smaller. No cost, no "fitting."

I have an extended safety cut back to a larger-than-Colt "teardrop" and FLG reduced one to a square pad larger than GI. So it is a reasonable exercise.

8. retrieverman

retrieverman Well-Known Member

May 16, 2013
    I’ve got Harrison retro safeties on two guns and like them a lot.

Spokes, Old Rooster and blamo like this.
  9. El Perdido

El Perdido Fictional Western Sage

Oct 3, 2011
    What would happen if you placed your thumb on top of the safety and left it there until you need to re-activate it?

Spokes and Old Rooster like this.
  10. Troll68

Troll68 Just me

Aug 16, 2018
    I like the Harrison TS . They fit my grip well. 05A3615F-9C07-4118-B56B-622674D23963.jpeg

simonp and Old Rooster like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted