I need a ZTR mower recommendation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jaydoc, May 7, 2019.

1. jaydoc

jaydoc i'm riding a turtle!

Aug 10, 2012
    My lawn mower crapped out and I need to replace it. I mow about 3 acres. I thought I saw a thread on here in the past about this but I can’t find it. I thought there was actually someone who worked in the lawnmower industry that recommended the best brand. I’m looking for something tough that doesn’t cost a fortune.

Bro. Pappaw likes this.
  2. Bro. Pappaw

Bro. Pappaw Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2016
    I have a Husquvarna that's been good for me. Only kind I know about.

3. khend1

khend1 Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Mar 10, 2013
  4. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    I had a big box store Cub Cadet, it lasted about 300 hours and started to have all kinds of electrical issues. Hydraulics aren't rebuildable on these cheaper models, it was about $2500 when bought new, six years ago.

I sold it for $1100 last spring. I bought a used ExMark Lazer Z 60’ for $2500. Its a commercial unit, cuts like a dream and everything is rebuildable. The big box store units don't last when you are mowing 2.3 acres every week, sometimes twice a week. Commercial units have better electrical systems, stronger hydraulics, frames, decks and spindles are enormous.

Really depends on what you want to spend and how much you want to work on stuff. A new unit like mine would run about $12k, I’m damn happy with my used Exmark

FWoo45 and Colorado Sonny like this.
  5. Colorado Sonny

Colorado Sonny Deo Volente Supporting Addict

Sep 25, 2015
    I don't own a lawn mower. No grass!

razorbacker likes this.
  6. Baldwin

Baldwin Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2018
    I currently have a Husquvarna and it's good. I've had a Hustler in the past and it was a good machine too. I think if you go with a fabricated deck (not stamped) there is a bunch of good ones. Gravely, XMark, Scag, Toro, Dixie Chopper, etc. I would be a little leary of the big box stores. I think some manufacturers make models specifically for the big box stores and they will cut a few corners. For me the engine is important. Both of mine had Kawasaki engines which I like.

jaydoc likes this.
  7. jaydoc

jaydoc i'm riding a turtle!

Aug 10, 2012
    Looks like the previous thread expert recommended Husqvarna for the approx. $5000 range and that’s what i’m Looking at

8. Bender

Aug 15, 2011
    Those are darn solid machines for the money Doc

9. KS95B40

KS95B40 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Aug 16, 2017
    I had a Dixon ZTR that was a great machine for well over 15 years. Apparently they were bought out by some one else ans discontinued so I replaced it with a Hustler late last summer.

As much as I liked the Dixon this Hustler is just a great mower; Kawasaki engine. So far I only have about 20 hours on it but I love it.
    44CC6A16-F287-4BAB-9BB1-82D6AFDF569F.jpeg

Attached Files:

Colorado Sonny likes this.
  10. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    I have a TORO, and it is the 3rd toro type mower I have owned as well as countless other machines bearing the same brand name. These machines have all been top of the line. I currently have a 2000 model 62" cut with a 22 hp Kohler motor..Over 1000 hours and worked very hard the last 4 years and still doesn't miss a beat.. I bought it second hand and have pretty much abused it using it commercially.. last years..

Last edited: May 8, 2019
    Colorado Sonny likes this.
  11. BigD6765

BigD6765 New Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Scag. Can’t beat em imho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike0251 likes this.
  12. ACP

ACP Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2018
    I sold Deere farm equipment and landscape equipment for several years, and traded for every other manufacturer out there. The main points boiled down engine, deck thickness/manufacturing and drive units. Deere makes a darn good unit as does Exmark and Toro. If you stick with a Kawasaki engine you cant go wrong, traded on machines 15 years old and sold them to folks that are still running them with a Kawasaki. I always tried to emphasize to folks to buy a brand they could easily get parts and service for. In other words if you live next to an exmark dealer and have to drive a county over to buy Deere, go with exmark. Decks come in welded or stamped. Brands that weld will tell you it's a stronger sturdier deck, brands that stamp will tell you the welded deck has 90 degree corners that let grass accumulate and rust out the seams and the smooth corners on the inside of a stamped deck keep the deck cleaner and offer better material flow. I've seen hyd rdaulic engineering analysis to support the material flow argument, the grass gathering in the welded corners is debatable.

If you're looking at new, Deere just hit the market with a Z700 series that should be a good machine looking at the specs, or if you can find a deal on a used Z920 you couldn't go wrong there either. Not up to date on the comparable Toro or exmark models.

Happy to offer any other knowledge that may help if you narrow things in and need help picking through specs.

13. MDP

MDP MP Custom

Jul 22, 2016
    Just purchased this scag a couple of weeks ago based on recommendations from a few commercial mowing guys. Can’t really compare to other brands as this is my first rider. Recently purchased some land to build a new MP Custom shop and it’s too much grass to push mow.

Attached Files:

Colorado Sonny and FWoo45 like this.
  14. Capthobo

Capthobo NRA Endowment member Supporting Addict

Nov 9, 2016
    For three acres and longevity I would go with a commercial unit. Scags are good units.
    If you have three acres and have use for a tractor then I’d recommend a Kubota with a deck or even rear attached bush hog.

MDP likes this.
  15. pscipio03

pscipio03 Fun O' Meter on FULL

Mar 11, 2013
    Goats. Get a lot of them. Never mow again.

16. Mike Meints

Mike Meints Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2017
    I bought a John Deere z535m a couple of years ago. I mow 5 acres in an hour and fifteen minutes. It's been trouble free . Also, you can replace the transmission if need be .

17. texasnurse

texasnurse Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2016
    Dixie chopper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2018
    I own a Bad Boy ZT Elite, and it's been a great mower for us. It's got a lot of features for the money, and has 2 different brand of engine options.
    GrassHopper, Scag, or Gravely have also been highly recommended to me.

19. firecatwilson

firecatwilson Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    I mow over 5 acres and currently use a Husqvarna that came with the property. It works well but isn't a Zero turn, just a 54in ride on. Fabbed mower deck, works well.

Exmark zero turns was what I used years ago when I cut lawns commercially.

If I could go buy a new today I think I'd get a Gravely or Badboy.

20. Bender

Aug 15, 2011

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted