I need some advice and help

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by zaskar017, Nov 2, 2011.

1. zaskar017

zaskar017 Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    About a year and a half ago I picked up my Springfield as a project gun, saved my pennies and sent it out to Fusion to have it worked over.
    I didn't quite do all of my homework on Fusion but assumed the experience would go well.
    The work took about 6 months to complete instead of the 6 weeks quoted. An unexpected required refinishing job added to the delay so it wasn't all of Fusion's fault in that regard
    I wasn't (still not) completely satisfied with the outcome of the pistol, but I figured I could get over it.
    Months pass and a few range sessions later the grip safety fails. - off to Fusion to get fixed -frustration building
    Pistol returns with marred finish - Bob agrees to refinish at a later date if I so desire - frustration
    Few more months pass with sporadic fail to feed problems - frustration
    Can't get over the marred finish, so I send it back to get refinished.
    Get the pistol back and a few more range sessions still having failure to feed - frustration
    I didn't want to keep shipping my pistol all over the country so I contacted a semi local smith that builds 1911s and 2011s
    I took a day off of work and he diagnoses the FTF problem, (the slide stop was engaging prematurely) and fixes it
    Next range session, I have the same problem with the slide stop - Now I am at my breaking point
    Haven't been able to get in contact the local smith since

My project gun as turned into a nightmare as nothing is going right. I really don't think I have enjoyed shooting it at the range with all the problems it has. It has been in the hands of two smiths, but it just isn't working.
    If I sell it, I will take a $500-600 loss on something I didn't get to enjoy other than looking at it. I am losing confidence in being able to get it fixed. If I get another hard chromed slide stop, and I have the same problem, I think I will lose it.

I need advice on what to do

ETA:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  2. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    did you try a different slide stop?

3. zaskar017

Sep 7, 2011
    I didn't have one on hand during my last range visit. I would like to try the one that came with the pistol when I bought it, but it is difficult for me to get to the range

4. 230gr

230gr Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    got any brass marks on the inside portion of the slide stop? This is a a simple diagnosis...strip the slide off. With just the frame, put the slide stop in and insert a loaded mag, an unloaded mag, so on and so forth and see what's contacting the slide stop nub and pushing it upward. If anything but an empty mag is pushing that upward, there's your problem. The follower should be the only thing touching that nub. If so a little file to gain some clearance is called for.

I bet I could fix that in 30 minutes or so. Something is pushing it upward, I'd stop calling it FTF because that's incorrect.

Lot's O'Peeps think there's no fitting to a slide stop and while you can get real lucky in that way, most need some minor tuning.

5. 230gr

230gr Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    You could also need a dimple/detent on the slide stop where it contacts the plunger. I had to do that to my gun when out of the blue the slide stop was walking out during firing and locking up the gun.

6. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    Where are you located?Possibly someone locally can help ot might know somebody that can.. Ron

7. zaskar017

Sep 7, 2011
    That is what the local smith did to fix it. It didn't work.
    There are brass marks on the slide stop. I just don't know how much to file.
    ETA: I was calling it FTF, because the slide stop issue wasn't diagnosed yet. Now I know it isn't a FTF.

I am in South East Florida

8. knedrgr

Aug 15, 2011
    from the picture, it looks to be a 10-8 Performance SS. Is that correct? If so, first gen or second gen? Hilton did release a 2nd gen and reprofiled the SS.

9. Joe C

Joe C Custom Pistolsmith Sponsor

Sep 11, 2011
    Are you sure the failure to feed problems are the slide stop? Could be the frame ramp, extractor, slide stop, mag catch and several other things... That slide stop looks like one made by Greider for a number of people. It is a quality piece in my opinion...if the nose of it is too long, say longer than .205" for the .45, that could be causing part of the problem...but I would also be looking at the other issues.

10. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    You might speak with IraG2362.. Ron

11. zaskar017

Sep 7, 2011
    I bought it from Fusion when they did the work. I don't know the supplier.

I am just going on what I saw and and what the second smith told me. The slide stop is engaging when the mag has rounds in it.

12. zaskar017

Sep 7, 2011
    Thanks for the tip

13. 230gr

230gr Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    ...until there's no more contact. If you have a set of calipers to measure, Joe C posted the length of the nose. You just need to clearance the nose and round, not alot but just enough to make it stop touching the nose of the slide stop. May be some trial but you just take a file to the range with you.

14. zaskar017

Sep 7, 2011
    Here is a pic of the SS after 100 rounds from my last session. If I insert a mag with a couple rounds without the slide on, the slide stop engages

DSCF0672.JPG

I put in my other slide stop and it doesn't move with a magazine inserted.
    Should I file all 4 edges or just start with the bottom two edges?

15. Joe C

Joe C Custom Pistolsmith Sponsor

Sep 11, 2011
    First I would get rid of the pointy part where your bullets are obviously hitting. Then I would make sure the nose is cut back to .205" total sticking out and start there. You can go as short as .195" in some guns without it causing the gun to not lock open after the last shot but if you go much shorter than that it probably won't lock back after the last shot.

It is possible that they used a 9mm/.38super slide stop on accident. The nose of those measure around .225" from Greider.

I'd also still be looking at other things as aforementioned even if that appears to work.

16. knedrgr

Aug 15, 2011
    Don't guess. Here's what I would do:
    1) Insert the SS back into the stripped frame.
    2) Take a black Sharpie marker and marker up the vertical sides.
    3) Repeat the test.
    4) Look for any scrubbed marks from the black markered areas, this will show you better where brass is hitting the SS, and file down that spot.

A little bit goes a long way.

17. zaskar017

Sep 7, 2011
    Thanks guys.
    I bought some cheap calibers and they suck balls, so measuring is out of the question for this evening

18. Mechanized

Mechanized He's a large "member" Supporting Addict

Sep 24, 2011
    I ran into a similar issue with PARA double stacks that a friend of mine purchased.

19. zaskar017

Sep 7, 2011
    Last night I used the sharpie route and took filed until no more marks were seen.
    I shot about 75 rounds until the 1st failure. There was still a decent amount of copper. I took a file to the SS and shot the last of my 125 rounds without any problems. I would periodically check for copper and file a little. In the last 25 or so rounds, I didn't see any copper on the SS.
    I still wasn't confident in the pistol at this point.
    I was able to get my hands on better calipers and the measurement after the range session was .214"
    So you were correct Joe C, looks like Fusion put in a 9mm SS for me :frusty:

I filed it down to .204 +/- .002 (I can't get a consistent reading)

Hopefully when I get to take it out again, I won't have this problem.

Thanks again for everyone that helped. I will update the thread with my next session

ETA: I measured the SS from Springfield and it measures about .200 +/-

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted