I need your help fellow addicts.

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Mike A, Dec 15, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 19, 2017
    Let me start by telling you what I would like to do.
    First off I bought a used 1951 full size Commercial model 1911 A1.
    I would very much like to restore it to be like it was in 1951.

I have done searches & have become frustrated. It's not like I can just ask
    about the parts used in 1951. So I am asking for your help to find the parts I
    will need to return it to stock. I do understand that finding parts from 1951
    may not be possible. However I would like to try & use parts as close as I can find.

I am not a Gunsmith but I can replace parts. When I am done then I can find someone to blue it. The parts I will need are the Barrel & bushing, arched MSH, both front & rear sights. I have a pic of my pistol & of a 1951 that was for sale over at 1911 Fanatics & would like a pair of grips. I have no idea what the grips are called but would like a set for my pistol. I can find a GI recoil spring set up with out trouble.

I would greatly appreciate any help you can offer me in my quest. I am low on funds right now, but I would like to get started finding the parts & with any luck I can have it blued by this spring. I am doing this for the boy inside & not to increase it's value. To have a 1911 made in the year of my birth is worth more than money to me.

Thank you all for your help it means a lot to me.

Mike

Mikes 1951.JPG 1951 left.JPG

2. Karl Beining

Karl Beining Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2015
    I got a proper MSH and rear sight Mike, send me your address

ronin11, WC145, fieldgrade and 6 others like this.

3. Sonic Ox

Sonic Ox Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2018
    A noble quest Mike. I'll keep my eyes open for parts.

Mike A likes this.
  4. tarosean

tarosean Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2013
    Call the CMP..

Since they are currently selling off the issued guns. I'd be willing to bet they have some parts laying around.

Mike A likes this.
  5. 1L26

1L26 Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Sorry! I can't help but, that's a cool project! Good luck!

Mike A likes this.
  6. switchback

switchback Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2014
    Hi Mike,
    Fellow '51er here. I believe a have a set of Colts tool steel sear & disconnector. No idea the year, but I believe I got them from a GI I gutted and built up as a hardcore 1911A1. Let me know if you think you can use them. If you would prefer to use a nice matched set of modern ignition parts, I wouldn't blame you. IIFC, these have quite a bit of machining marks.

ronin11, Mike A, fieldgrade and 2 others like this.
  7. Mike A

Mar 19, 2017
    Thank you Karl that is very nice of you & I thank you very much. Merry Christmas my Friend :)

1L26 and Karl Beining like this.
  8. Fred_G

Fred_G Known Agitator

Dec 29, 2015
    Looking forward to picts. I was very pleased to get a birth year gun a few years ago. Not a 1911, but, we can't have everything.

1L26 and Mike A like this.
  9. Mike A

Mar 19, 2017
    It will be awhile, but I will be proud to show her off. I don't know why but it's important to me
    to live in a House built in 1951, have a 1911 & on my bucket list own a 1951 Chevy like Papa has in the Movie Hunter. :)
    BTW the house was by accident LOL.

1L26, Kip, limbkiller and 2 others like this.
  10. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    Hey @Mike A ,

I might have an extra set of the grips you are looking for. I will check my bag of unloved grips on Monday.

I think I already have your address.

Z

ronin11, FWoo45, 1L26 and 5 others like this.
  11. Mike A

Mar 19, 2017
    That would be great Gary. They remind me of the old Colts mostly the Single actions. The Picture of the other 1951 was the first time I have seen them on a 1911.

We should be able to get out on Monday the big snow has us trapped for now. I am sure the MCs are there at the Po Box. I will let you know. Thanks Gary :)

Mike

1L26, ZoidMeister and Kip like this.
  12. Kip

Kip Sir Kip Esquire

Apr 12, 2016
    Maybe an @Melter is in order....
    He will know where to find stuff!!

tac45 and Mike A like this.
  13. Mike A

Mar 19, 2017
    Well things are looking great so far. I did want to find a barrel that would place the pistol in the 1950s era but I am a little late for that. Doing a search on E-Bay I see Colt 1911 barrels that have the Colt 45 Auto on the top. However the prices are way above what I thought they would be. What I thought would be a Sea of pulled Colt barrels in favor of Custom barrels are not available any longer. The good Ol days of 1911 barrels for $10.00 at Gun Shows are a thing of the long past LOL.

My Pistol has a Barrel & Bushing & to pay $185.00 up to $450.00 just to get a barrel that says Colt 45 Auto makes no sense. If I can find the proper front sight that will then leave me with finding a Smith who will Blue the pistol. I am happy that I am able to find the MSH, Rear sight, & best of all,the original plastic grips. With a beautiful Blue finish that would make any 1911 Addict very proud.

I want to thank you all for you help & encouragement this 1911 means a lot to me. I will be very proud to post photos of Betsy when she is back to her original glory. Any help in locating the proper front sight will be very much appreciated.

Thanks a lot from an Old Guy AKA an Old Addict LOL.

Old guy.jpg

14. Kip

Kip Sir Kip Esquire

Apr 12, 2016
    Nice seeing you all cleaned up for Sunday pictures!!:D

15. 1L26

1L26 Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Man, I hope to have at least one 1911 if I make it to that guys age!

wcanterbury and Kip like this.
  16. Mike A

Mar 19, 2017
    Some days I feel that old LOL. I have to think you would have to have a 1911 to make it to that age today :)

17. 1L26

1L26 Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    I believe you're correct!!!! :D

wcanterbury, Kip and Mike A like this.
  18. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    Don't give up on the barrel just yet Mike. Let me do some poking around.

Z

wcanterbury, Mike A and 1L26 like this.
  19. Joni Lynn

Joni Lynn Professional Pest, NRA Patron member

Dec 21, 2014
    Best wishes on the parts search. The pic of the complete 1951 looks very familiar.

wcanterbury, Kip and Mike A like this.
  20. Mike A

Mar 19, 2017
    Thanks Joni
    I have some very good friends helping me out. So far I have everything but the front sight. I will find one & then with a nice blue job this pistol will be whole again.

wcanterbury and Kip like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted