1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently, the adjustable rear sight on my Wilson broke and the gun had to go back to the mothership.

IMG_3398.JPG

I just discovered this on the Kensight Bomar adjustable on my Dan Wesson. The leaf is cracked at the pivot pin.

Kensight Cracked Leaf.JPG

And while installing another Kensight Bomar the elevation detent broke off.

Kensight Broken Detent.JPG

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
Yeah, I only have fixed sights, less breakage ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I carry Commander size pistols with fixed sights but for range 1911s I like adjustable sights on 5 or 6 inch pistols. Of course I reload and play with different rounds in the 5-6 inch range toys. Adjustable rear sights are more complex and of course are more likely to break.

·
Registered
784 Posts
12B248CB-4FAE-44B4-838C-A0BF1638C5E6.jpeg
I had a Nighthawk Talon II built this year with adjustable sights. Love them. The old Bomars were weak, and I have never used Kensight, unless they make them for Nighthawk. No problems other than in old Gold Cups ever. When I shot Les Baer guns the adjustable sights were fine for tens of thousands of rounds. I guess it comes down to the quality of the builder.

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
Swenson had it right with the Smith and Wesson revolver sights . . . .

·
Registered
784 Posts
Good point Zoid. I seldom hear of any adjustable sight issues with S&W revolvers in much heavier recoiling calibers. Anything made that is more complicated has the potential to be more fragile. Built properly, a more complicated mechanism can still be reliable. It just takes more effort to make it so.

·
CEO of DILLIGAF industries
8,484 Posts
Good point Zoid. I seldom hear of any adjustable sight issues with S&W revolvers in much heavier recoiling calibers. Anything made that is more complicated has the potential to be more fragile. Built properly, a more complicated mechanism can still be reliable. It just takes more effort to make it so.
Revolver sights aren't recoiling back and forth on a slide . On the other hand , the S&W sights on a 1911 seem to do well .

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
The only adjustables on a 1911 I had were the Eliason sights on my Gold Cup. The things would fall off if you looked at em wrong.

·
1911 Pistol Smith
10,043 Posts
If I am not mistaken Kensight makes the majority of the Bomar style adjustable sights now.. I would imagine that wouldn't be that hard to confirm, but tbh, I don't think I have seen them offered anywhere else in the recent past for as long as I can remember..

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
No trouble with several real Bomars or one copy.
S&W revolver sight on auto holds up, but less sharp sight picture.
Only problem with Elliason was a Gold Cup with slant pin hole. Well, I did break a solid pin when replacing a roll pin.

I had a King's National Match fixed sight simply fall in half recently, though.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I shoot 400 rounds per week with adjustable sights on Nighthawks. I have never had a failure. I have had two fixed rear sights come loose on a Wilson and a Ed Brown though.

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
I'm a fixed sight type of guy. I like to take myself out of the equation. I c0an get too fidgety with adjustable sights. Plus I carry/abuse my guns. I prefer a u notch rear sight, preferably a tacticool type that I can smash against stuff to rack the slide if necessary. My absolute favorite though is a fixed DDS that @Joe C made for the WMB. It's the only one AFAIK. If I could take myself out of the equation, the adjustable DDS or the nomar rear sights look to be very durable and are proven, hard use sights. We rightfully put a lot of onus on front sights, however it is my opinion that a very good rear sight can make a wold of difference. The shape of the DDS really draws the eye to the front sight and then makes it very easy to place the front sight in the window of the rear, correctly, quickly, everytime. Makes my very average arse look like a pro come class time, especially when there is a little $ on the line to make things interesting.

·
Custom Pistolsmith
3,466 Posts
I've been using KFS (Kensight) rear sights for over 13 years now. The owner, his wife and his brother are all personal friends of mine. They make sights for nearly every 1911 company in the industry. I've had exactly three break, of the hundreds I've installed. All three of those were on .40cal limited guns with 50-70k rounds through them at the time of the breakage.

My opinion (based on experience) is, the reason these sights sometimes fail is poor installation and improper springing of the gun for the load being shot which leads to undue shock on the parts.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've been using KFS (Kensight) rear sights for over 13 years now. The owner, his wife and his brother are all personal friends of mine. They make sights for nearly every 1911 company in the industry. I've had exactly three break, of the hundreds I've installed. All three of those were on .40cal limited guns with 50-70k rounds through them at the time of the breakage.

My opinion (based on experience) is, the reason these sights sometimes fail is poor installation and improper springing of the gun for the load being shot which leads to undue shock on the parts.
Joe, I appreciate you weighing in. Can you elaborate on how these sights can be improperly installed? I thought they were fairly straightforward. The Dan Wesson that had the Kensight with the cracked sight leaf has seen 8200 rounds and has a small radius firing pin stop, an 18 lb recoil spring, and a 21 lb hammer spring. The Wilson also has a small radius firing pin stop, an 18 lb recoil spring, and a 21 lb hammer spring. Both are chambered in 45 ACP and I shoot 230 gr Blazer Brass and S&B.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts