I Want One

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Old Rooster, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Old Rooster

Old Rooster Well-Known Member

May 17, 2020
  2. Old Rooster

May 17, 2020
    This may explain why I’m getting an itch for an engraved 1911 carry. The 1911s in the Rangers museum....

Fred_G, Spokes, FWoo45 and 1 other person like this.

3. AJP

AJP Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2017
    The Ranger museum really is a treat for 1911 enthusiasts. Some of the guns are very unique because the Rangers adopted the platform so early, when most other Law Enforcement Agencies stuck with Revolvers. Further more the Rangers were not compelled to keep there guns stock like the Military 1911s, so you end up with an interesting branch in the evolution of the platform.

Lineman1982, WC145, Austin_TX and 4 others like this.
  4. Scaramouche

Scaramouche Student of the Columbian Exchange Supporting Addict

Sep 15, 2015
    Great history lesson here, thank you. Also a nice illustration of how hate/ignorance works.

Spokes, Austin_TX, FWoo45 and 2 others like this.
  5. bnaples

bnaples Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    I went to the ranger museum last year and saw several like these if not the same ones. I like the history of these guns, although some seem like overkill.

Old Rooster likes this.
  6. Old Rooster

May 17, 2020
    It was a good learning moment for me to read about the reasons for the modifications. Glad I asked.

River runner and bnaples like this.
  7. bnaples

bnaples Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    I absolutely appreciate an engraved pistol...i did find it odd that these were supposed fighting guns and almost none had any improvement on the sights whatsoever. Most still had tiny GI sights....tons of money spent on engraving and fancy grips but no sights.

DRD, FWoo45 and River runner like this.
  8. rockittsled

rockittsled Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2020
    Besides the Guttersnipe on the ASP, were there any good fighting sights, as opposed to Bullseye-type sights, in that era to change them to?

I wouldn't want one for CCW.

With provenance, one of those would be a helluva BBQ gun to wear.
    That could just be my high school years in Texas talkin'

[​IMG]

AJP likes this.
  9. rmac

rmac Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 26, 2016
    If you need a short gun you will need it fast. You had best be aware of what is around you and have it in your hand.
    You will not have time to extend your arms and pick up the sights. You will be shooting from close to your body and even you atheists will start to pray that you hit what you are directing the muzzle towards.
    Considering the distance and how you will have to use the gun the small standard sights will pose no handicap.
    If you have time to present the gun as you would on a practice range you have time to fall back and get your rifle.
    If you are far enough away from your intended target to need a deliberate sight picture you can believe that when you get to the Grand Jury the question will be, “Why didn’t you disengage and retreat”?
    Just a few things to consider before condemning the sights as too small.

10. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    I'd shoot my leg off reholstering the thing. That said I appreciate the history lesson. My idea of a BBQ gun might be a bit different though. 1918 Colt - Deadpool - 001.JPG
    (Stole the pic from @ZoidMeister, Deadpool does shoot though as many of you know).

ZoidMeister and livinthelife like this.
  11. Infidel4life11

Infidel4life11 الواحد

Apr 17, 2019
  12. Scaramouche

Sep 15, 2015
    It would be interesting learning how to shoot those guns.

Fred_G and Spokes like this.
  13. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2017
    Les would cringe if you showed him that. He also will NOT pin a grip safety.

Front sight mount let's you know whomever built it, was not right in the head

simonp and Infidel4life11 like this.
  14. Cop_Out

Cop_Out Pearl Pimp Supporting Addict

Feb 3, 2017
    Cool Fitz.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  15. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    Agree on the history lesson, I love learning new information! I do not agree so much with the “hate” portion of your comment. Ignorance? maybe....but I’m always willing to listen. Just cause something doesn’t flip my trigger doesn’t mean it’s hate! Just not my cup of tea no matter how much history is involved. Doesn’t have anything to do with hate as is so easily thrown around these days!

simonp and Old Rooster like this.
  16. Old Rooster

May 17, 2020
    I agree about the hate piece in the comment. I didn’t read hate anywhere and I didn’t offer any. It was a fun discussion and I learned interesting points. And thanks to all who have participated.

wrmiller likes this.
  17. Scaramouche

Sep 15, 2015
    Your probably right in calling me out for my word usage. Hate, might be to strong a word for what I was reaching for here; call it poor manners.

I think I immediately defaulted to "hate" because this is a gun forum and you see quite a few posts that are derived from hate, or it's mother; fear. I automatically dislike it more than your objection to my poor choice in semantics.

18. AJP

AJP Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2017
    They definitely liked their super engraved BBQ guns with heavy silver grips. The sights are also a point of interest for me. From what I have seen, prior to practical shooting taking off in the mid to late 60's, the only sight mods commonly being done were bullseye and bowling pin sights like those being done by Clark. Once practical competition shooting took off you started to see S&W revolver sights mounted on the 1911's, as popularized by Swenson and Hoag, and the market grew from there.

On the gun in the OP, the front sight has been modified which is fairly unusual, both amongst its peers and in execution. Unfortunately I dont know much about this particular sight mod

19. Old Rooster

May 17, 2020
    This entire exchange is why I like this forum and have chosen not to participate in others. My hat is off to you all.

20. Old Rooster

May 17, 2020
    I may start googling pics to see if I can find another.

AJP likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted