I Want One

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Old Rooster, Aug 4, 2020.

1. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    The 'button' thumb safety and pinned grip safety is similar to what I did on my recent 10mm build. The extra thick stainless mag funnel adds a bit of balance to my pistol without my having to resort to metal grips. Probably not as much weight, but it's lower in my hand. Regardless, it works well. But I don't think I'll go for the chopped off trigger guard though.

ZoidMeister, Old Rooster and AJP like this.
  2. AJP

AJP Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2017
    I completely agree. A thread like this just couldn't happen over on ARF

Babboonbobo, Old Rooster and wrmiller like this.

3. AJP

AJP Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2017
    Agreed, I certainly wont be sending my Colt back to Ted Yost to have my trigger guard removed any time soon. I have had days at the range though were I can easily see where the idea came from.

Another thing that I think is kinda neat about the gun in the original post is that the cut trigger guard has been shaped to essentially make it a trigger funnel

4. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    That 'trigger funnel' is the one thing that I didn't care for. Too easy to accidentally hook on things and/or get in the way of a draw if done from an unusual position. But then maybe I think about some of this too much.

FWoo45 and Babboonbobo like this.
  5. rmac

rmac Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 26, 2016
    Many old town Marshalls and Sheriffs here in Mississippi during the post WW2 period (40’s and 50’s mostly) used bring back or Military Surplus 1911’s.
    A front sight like or similar to the one in the OP was very common.
    The reasoning was that if you did have time to raise the gun up near eye level you were only going to use the sight to align with the target. No one then believed that you had time to lower the front sight into the notch and achieve a good sight picture.
    Being as the view over the top of the gun was foreshortened with part of the top of the slide visible the gun was going to shoot high. Hence the taller front sight to lower POI. Just sort of put the front sight where you wanted and the bullet strike would be around the top of the sight.
    Most of the sights like the one in the OP were made from barrel band sling swivels. Cut the swivel in half, heat and hammer into shape on an old slide. Then silver solder to the slide and file the blade into shape. Blue and go get the bad guys.
    In this area revolvers went out of vogue from post WW2 until the late 1960’s when Federal money (our money) started flowing into Police Departments and some type of standardized weapon policy ensued.
    Also I will add that about the only practice those old Lawmen did was line shooting.

6. Old Rooster

Old Rooster Well-Known Member

May 17, 2020
    I hadn’t thought about it as a trigger funnel. There’s another new thought. Hmmmm.

7. AJP

AJP Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2017
    In the spirit of this thread, here is a cool pic of Ranger Lone Wolf Gonzaullas, kitted up with his Fitz Special at his side.
    Ranger Lone Wolf Gonzaullas.jpg

8. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
  9. DRD

DRD Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 8, 2018
    Gun is historically interesting. Personally I've seen about 2,000,000 pistols I'd rather have. If you ever decided to use this thing around other people, better have a good lawyer. I'm not taking sides, but I thought the possibly "over exuberant" negative replies were directed at the pistol, not the poster.

Old Rooster, wrmiller and Babboonbobo like this.
  10. handforged

handforged Limestone Canyon Leather and Tool Supporting Addict

May 19, 2020
    That is a great picture. It does illustrate the Fitz cocked and locked in the holster. I thought the vogue in those days, especially with all the safety features deleted, was to carry hammer down on an empty chamber. Of course I am sure this was a posed photo and maybe he thought ahead enough to lock 'er back. Still a great picture.

Old Rooster and AJP like this.
  11. Tactical Rico

Tactical Rico Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2016
    ZoidMeister and AJP like this.
  12. simonp

simonp Well-Known Member

May 27, 2016
    I appreciate the history, where it came from, why and how it was built the way it was back then but no appeal to me personally, no desire or need to have that in my holster or safe.

forester4259 likes this.
  13. CoalCracker.

CoalCracker. Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2020
    Purty cool gun! I like unique ones.

AJP likes this.
  14. Kevin Rohrer

Kevin Rohrer Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jul 6, 2014
    That goes beyond stupid. Epic Fail on two people's part: the Owner and the builder.

15. RodII

RodII Active Member

May 14, 2016
    I am old enough that I can remember when I was about age 19-20, that a deputy sheriff in our county carried a Fitz Special revolver. There was a abandoned rock quarry just outside the city limits where people would go to shoot. The deputys on patrol would see someone shooting and stop and join in. The deputy with the Fitz was a older gentleman, me and my shooting buddies thought it was the coolest thing. There was another younger deputy who carried a 4" model 29 Smith, and he knew how to shoot. Those where the good old days.

livinthelife, AJP, rmac and 1 other person like this.
  16. Fred_G

Fred_G Known Agitator

Dec 29, 2015
    Interesting history lesson. Not sure if I would want one in my collection, but would love to shoot one! Love the photo AJP. Some of those Rangers has some cool looking rigs.

AJP likes this.
  17. Nick Rice

Nick Rice Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2017
    I like to twirl before I re-holster so this wouldn't work out for me. kidn'.. I never saw or knew anything on Fitz history, interesting..

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

18. bnaples

bnaples Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    If there was a weekly prize for the beast post....winner! Lol

19. gps man

gps man Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2015
    I think the”beast post” is in a different thread...

Perhaps started by @ZoidMeister...

bnaples and ZoidMeister like this.
  20. bnaples

bnaples Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted