I want to get into reloading...

Discussion in 'Caliber Talk: Ammunition, Reloading, and Shooting ' started by minderasr, Nov 16, 2011.

1. minderasr

minderasr Member

Aug 20, 2011
    But really have no experience with it. My first (of probably many) question(s) is Dillion Square Deal "B" or Lee Pro 1000 and why? I plan on reloading .45 ACP for now, but may venture into 9mm and .40 S&W in the future.

TIA

2. Carolinaboy

Carolinaboy Aim Small Miss Small Supporting Addict

Sep 17, 2011
    If you want to get into multiple calibers later on, I'd so go Blue

I use a 550 and love it. My Father & I split it. We reload, .223, .308, & .45ACP

IIRC it's easier to get into other calibers with the Dillon

3. dilespla

dilespla Never made it to step 12 Supporting Addict

Oct 12, 2011
    I've got a Lee Pro and I do not recommend spending money on it. It's finicky at best (too much slack in the head). Loading .45 with 230gr. FMJ works ok, but I recently switched to 200gr. LSWC and it's proven rather difficult to get consistency with that machine. The powder throw isn't as consistent as other machines either. I'm looking at getting the Hornady Lock-N-Load AP. It's cheaper than the Dillon's I like, has amazing reviews (after a few minor redesigns early on), and appears that caliber changes are faster and cheaper than all the competitors. To me it looks like a better machine all around, plus it has a case and bullet feeder available for when you really want to speed up production.

4. Blayglock

Blayglock Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    I use SDB for 9mm and .45. It's great and relatively problem free. Caliber change is expensive, especially with a spare toolhead which I recommend so you don't have to redial in your dies. Thier customer service is not just best in industry but one of the best in the business world period.

Only part I've had to replace is a little plastic tip on the primer feed which was sent to me free of charge with a phone call. The other good thing is it comes set up from the factory with the dies set up and a dummy load.

5. Joe C

Joe C Custom Pistolsmith Sponsor

Sep 11, 2011
    Get the dillon 550 and never look back.

6. Blayglock

Aug 18, 2011
    I vote this as well. I didn't think I would get into rifle reloading but am now (.223). Could have used the 550 for that.

7. Earlsbud

Earlsbud Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 28, 2011
  8. minderasr

minderasr Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Seems I have a few more shekels to save up!

9. 3Baers

3Baers 1911 oldie

Oct 9, 2011
    Dillion RL- 550B, because it will actually work and you can load on it.

10. CanIhaveGasCash

CanIhaveGasCash Member

Sep 11, 2011
    I just got a 550B and it was worth every penny.

11. minderasr

minderasr Member

Aug 20, 2011
    I really hate Dillon's interactive thingamajiggy. Why not tell me this is what I need, this is optional? Adding all the accessories makes the 550 a tad expensive!

12. 2Tap

2Tap New Member

Oct 8, 2011
    I, too am relatively new to reloading. I bought a factory second Lee Pro 1000. As long as the primer tray is full and my operation of the lever is smooth and consistent, cranking out the rounds goes pretty well. After about 1500 rounds, I am satisfied so far. I consider my Lee a heckuva a deal at less than $150 delivered -- including the brass collator and micro powder bar. I'll have to try a Dillon or Hornady someday. If they are all that much better I will be stunned and pleased.

13. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Aug 18, 2011
    I'd get a Dillon 550 if you have the money. I have a Lee LCT right now because I didn't (and don't currently) have the money to upgrade to the Dillon. I'll just say this...The Dillon beam scale is made to higher standards than my Lee press. While it's cheap and great, you really do get quality products with Dillon, it's worth the money.

That said, the #1 most recommended press is the Dillon 550, from what I've read on Glocktalk, 1911forum, Here, and Brian Enos.

Order the press from Brian Enos (http://www.brianenos.com/store/dillon.html) and you get free shipping, making it cheaper than ordering from Dillon. Also, Brian does the work for you and puts together packages and makes it MUCH easier to order everything you need. You can always give him a call too, because people say he's very helpful and a pleasure to work with.

Also remember to get at least 2 reloading books, and start slow.

14. Rinspeed

Rinspeed Member

Aug 22, 2011
    If you don't think you will be reloading for rifle the SDB is a great value because it comes with the dies and it's all set up. For me the 650 is more attractive than the 550 because it's auto indexing but it's also more expensive. If you go to Brian Enos' web site there is a lot of info to help in your decision including comparison charts.

15. Legion489

Legion489 Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2011
    OK, I was thrown off HANDLOADERS BENCH for saying this, but Lee pot metal presses are junk! Period. I have not used the CAST CLASSIC Single stage or turret, but the pot metal presses are TRASH! The Lee warranty is completely worthless as well. Lee dies are pretty good, lots of Lee stuff is very good to excellent, but the pot metal presses are JUNK!

Buy Dillon. I would not buy the Square Deal unless you never intend to load rifle cases at all, and only one handgun cartridge. The Square Deal is a good press, BUT, you need special Dillon dies for it (expensive), con kits for each cartridge (quite expensive), and can not load most rifle cartridges on it. That's OK if you ONLY want to load .45 ACP, but if you ever want to load other handgun cartridges, it is not cost effective. The 550B on the other hand is not that much more (the same price as the worthless Lee Load of Something, but Dillon actually STANDS behind their equipment! Lee doesn't.) than the SD, can load pretty much everything except the biggest mags, uses regular 7/8x14 dies, the con kits are all over E-bay (yes, I know....) for quite good prices if you don't get bid fever and are willing to wait for what you want, most shell plates can be used with many other cartridges (.45 ASP, .243 Win, .260 Rem, .270 Win, .30-06, 7mm/8mm Mauser, etc., etc., all use the same shell plate but need different powder funnels, or just get a Lee powder thru die and Lee DISK MEASURE - the Lee Perfect is TRASH, and use it for handguns), and the press can be used as a single stage OR semi-progressive (you turn the shell plate rather than it turning itself, so if you want to batch load cases, you can do that too).

Can the Dillon 550 load accurate ammo? The US Army Marksmanship Team loads their match ammo on a 550B! The 1992 Palma Match ammo (600, 800, 1000 yard match) was loaded on two Dillon 1050 (250,000 rds!) as the host country has to supply ammo for the match.

Yes, Lee and Dillon presses are both aluminum, but it is QUALITY and WORKMANSHIP and DESIGN, NOT material that counts! A Yugo and Rolls-Royce are both steel, but no one will confuse a Yugo with a Rolls! Remember. low quality crap is still crap, no matter what you pay for it, but quality is remembered LONG after price is forgotten!

16. Blayglock

Aug 18, 2011
    So Legion, how do you feel about Lee presses?

Lol.

17. minderasr

minderasr Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Thanks to everyone for the replies. I ordered the 550B from a (relatively) LGS that is a Dillon distributor. Looks like my Christmas will be great, everyone else? Not so much.

;)

18. CMG

CMG Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Since I stopped going to shoots every week, I sold my 650 setup last year and now only load 9mm and .45, for that I have two Square Deal Bs.

Then:

[​IMG]

Now:

[​IMG]

19. Legion489

Legion489 Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2011
    Very nice CMG. MUCH cleaner/orderly than my reloading bench. A clean work area is important, but I have boxes of brass and bullets all over the area. One tip (this is for EVERYONE! I am not singling out CMG as I do the same thing, so I know!), HAVE ONLY THE POWDER YOU ARE USING IN ARMS REACH! Put the rest in an area you can not see/reach and life will be much less exciting, and most likely longer!

Ah, the Lee press! Just posted on SurvivalMonkey about "what is the worst gun you ever bought?" and I posted a few of the worst that I bought and then put a line in about the totally worthless Lee LOADMASTER I bought at the end. Guess what? The mod IMMEDIATELY sends me a threat about telling the truth about Lee presses! What is this? A cabel to keep krap on the market by not letting the truth out? What, am I marked? Do moderators every where track my every move to threaten me if I post the TRUTH?! If someone has good luck with Lee pot metal presses, hey, great, I have no problem with that, but I post ONE LINE and am threatened? Holy smokes!

20. minderasr

minderasr Member

Aug 20, 2011

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted