1911 Firearm Addicts banner
61 - 80 of 97 Posts
Everyone is quick to the NO bandwagon, but there are still many states that allow intrastate transactions, person to person, through a contract carrier (for pistols) and usps for long guns. They consider it person to person, as long as its intrastate.

So, my question would be...is this intrastate or interstate? What does your state allow if intrastate?

Interstate is always individual to FFL or FFL to FFL. No exceptions (unless the person is a C&R holder and you’re shipping a gun that is C&R).
Though technically correct -- in some jurisdictions -- it would foolish to send a firearm off to a faceless stranger on the emailed promise (scanned credentials or no) that they're current residents of one's state and not otherwise prohibited individuals.

Face-to-face, in a safe, designated location like a firearms shop or police HQ, with current state ID and CCW scanned and kept on record, if you want to be able to show a good faith attempt to be certain you sold legally.

Well if he stated he was a "veteran" and was "mad", than by all means violate Federal law.

I usually ship using Bud's Gun Shop "shipmygun" service. Go to the website. Input the firearm info. Input the zip code of the FFL. If it's on-file with Buds already, click on that FFL. (if not on file, you can send them a copy). Pay & wait for them to send you a label. Put gun in S,M, or L UPS air box w/copy of your States DL. Print out label when it's emailed to you. Take it to your UPS hub (not UPS store). Declare it as a handgun or long gun (required by law), and be on your way. I usually get a receipt as proof of drop-off.

Bud's verifies the legitimacy of the FFL license. You can add insurance. You get their discounted 2 day air for handgun rate (they have a contract with UPS for this and even send a copy of that agreement to you with the label). And long guns are usually cheaper to ship too.

One thing I verify before doing anything is that the buyers FFL will receive from a non-FFL with copy of my DL. I've had FFL's in the past tell me that it wasn't legal for a non-FFL to ship a firearm. I usually refer them to the ATF, but they would rather be wrong.

@Au Jus in Bello

When I’ve shipped intrastate, I get a copy of the drivers license, state court view for any felonies, and I check property tax records. If I’m shipping the gun to their residence, then I’ve verified their residency via tax/court, and shipping far more than just seeing a drivers license FTF.

Sometimes I figure out ways to notarize a bill of sale for FTF or intrastate shipments.

I’m actually a real lawyer and I represent an FFL holder and keep up with this stuff. What he’s proposing is strictly prohibited.
…and I was a real judge and acting Federal Magistrate Judge and I absolutely agree!

@Au Jus in Bello

When I’ve shipped intrastate, I get a copy of the drivers license, state court view for any felonies, and I check property tax records. If I’m shipping the gun to their residence, then I’ve verified their residency via tax/court, and shipping far more than just seeing a drivers license FTF.

Sometimes I figure out ways to notarize a bill of sale for FTF or intrastate shipments.
I'd say those are decent measures; does the state court view cover federal felonies, or convictions in other states?

As for FTF sales using a driver's license alone, I certainly didn't suggest that -- I'd consider a CCW and bill of sale with info included mandatory minimums along with DL, and ideally a voter registration card, too.

But I think most private sales without an FFL are too fraught with potential downsides for me except among known and trusted individuals, and I'd never mail a gun to a stranger no matter what proof they showed.

In addition to the excellent advice and information already presented, I find when a legit person gets a no to a transaction he accepts it and moves on, when a crook/cheat gets a no he argues, demands, tries to intimidate.

I live in NC and you can ship a handgun to another resident as long as they have a Pistol Purchase Permit or a CHP and a NC DL which matches. The same things are needed for a FTF transaction. I however do not recommend it unless it is a family member or a close friend. The risk not worth saving $20 on a transfer.

Reactions: BlindSpirit63
I have two residences. One in Washington and one in Idaho. In Idaho, I can make a face-to-face transaction as long as I am using my Idaho home, per the CFRs, even though my primary residence is in Washington. But in your case, I would say it is a Fed setting you up as the next example of why online sales should be banned, or a miscreant. I would report the individual to the authorities and the page administrator.

Hey Guys! I know this might sound insane but before I go off on this person Id like to confirm that......

in order to sell a firearm from state to state it needs to be done through an FFL. A potential buyer has asked me to ship a pistol to his house and got quite angry when I told him i didnt think it was legal....he is a veteran...i just dont feel comfortable doing it..

semper fidelis
fudge no, I'm am a FFL!

Hey Guys! I know this might sound insane but before I go off on this person Id like to confirm that......

in order to sell a firearm from state to state it needs to be done through an FFL. A potential buyer has asked me to ship a pistol to his house and got quite angry when I told him i didnt think it was legal....he is a veteran...i just dont feel comfortable doing it..

semper fidelis
You were wise to not do this.

I live on the KY/TN border. I've listed a few pistols in a local trader paper over the years. I'm in KY. Had a TN resident want to buy one once and wanted to meet up. I told him I'd meet him at an FFL in TN to do the transfer. He assured me his law enforcement friend said it was unnecessary. I told him it was my gun and my gun rights to lose, so show up at a TN FFL or no deal. Expectedly, he decided not to go thru with it.

In KY, you can sell FTF to another KY resident without involving an FFL. But I've gotten to the point now where I won't even do that unless they can produce a current and valid KY CCW license.

Trust me...lot's of shady folks out there who don't mind YOU breaking the law for their benefit.
We must be somewhat neighbors! I live on the line as well - straight North of Nashville and see this all the time with TN residents

Everyone is quick to the NO bandwagon, but there are still many states that allow intrastate transactions, person to person, through a contract carrier (for pistols) and usps for long guns. They consider it person to person, as long as its intrastate.

So, my question would be...is this intrastate or interstate? What does your state allow if intrastate?

Interstate is always individual to FFL or FFL to FFL. No exceptions (unless the person is a C&R holder and you’re shipping a gun that is C&R).
I believe in Indiana we can ship long guns in state without an ffl ,can’t remember if handguns are ok though, haven’t researched that for years.

semper fidelis
No Way Jose. Veteran or not you are asking for trouble. May be a Fed looking to see what you do.

First time I posted a pistol for sale on a local gun web site I forgot to add the phrase "must ship to your FFL". I got about ten replys in the first hour. I changed the post , added the FFL requirement and sold it legal about a week later. Lots of people out there that would like to avoid the transfer process.

Years ago I purchased a rifle from a lady who's husband had passed away and sent her my FFL's info. telling her to contact him and arrange shipping. A week later a neighbor came over to tell me a package had arrived and they opened it to discover a rifle inside then noticed it addressed to me. It had been miss-delivered by UPS. The lady had just decided to send it to me and skip the ffl. After a quick call to him I took it over and he logged it in and then to me. You never know what people will do in ignorance or disregard.

New to this website but have been collecting AK's for a while. In Florida any INTRAstate sale is considered private and does NOT require an FFL. I however believe that this varies from state to state and you would be wise to check with your state laws. I would at least require a FTF transaction with a receipt of sale with CWP and DL. As for any INTERstate sales, these are not considered private and require an FFL transaction.

I've sold rifles via a few forums I'm on here in Texas. Where I KNOW the person, I have no issue shipping to to them directly - although they still have to send me a copy of their DL (intrastate shipment is legal in TX). Insofar as a BOS, etc.....ummmmm - NOT on a private sale. It's neither required nor necessary - and if someone wants one, I direct them to their local gun store.

61 - 80 of 97 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.