IDPA or USPSA

Discussion in 'Competition 1911's' started by Dreadnought, Jun 24, 2020.

1. Dreadnought

Dreadnought Well-Known Member

May 5, 2020
    Thinking about getting involved in some competition shooting.

My goal is just to become a better shooter, and train in more dynamic circumstances. I'm not really interested in being a serious sport shooter.

Any advice on which of these two Orgs would be better to look into?

DonTejano likes this.
  2. Amp Mangum

Amp Mangum Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2018
    Try both and see which one you like the best.

sdarc, zChambers and wrmiller like this.

3. tarosean

tarosean Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2013
    Depends..

Do you like to be told when and how to do something? IDPGay is for you.

Like to figure something out on your own? USPSA.

gaijin, 1MoreFord, zChambers and 4 others like this.
  4. fieldgrade

fieldgrade resident crank

Mar 13, 2017
    Aside from occasional snark that you have to put up from certain USPSA guys ^^^^
    you’ll want to do what Amp said and check out what is available to you. We have enough IDPA close to my particular geography that I can shoot a match every Saturday, plus two Sunday’s a month. I don’t think I would have that many options with USPSA, at least where I’m located.

That said, if I had started out shooting USPSA and that is what was close to me, that’s what I’d be shooting.

Rick McC., JustinT, Dub and 2 others like this.
  5. Dave Eberhart

Dave Eberhart Active Member

Mar 28, 2016
    IDPA makes for a good first time match. I shoot both but prefer USPSA. You will have a great time in either spot. Good luck!

You will learn a ton about gun handling, shooting, safety, etc... Highly recommend competition.

Dub, wrmiller, UBOATDOC and 1 other person like this.
  6. tarosean

tarosean Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2013
    What u talking bout Willis?:devil::mad::)

7. yrualeg1

yrualeg1 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2014
    Shoot both see which one you like. It’s fun either way. No matter what to choose.

Uncle Bob likes this.
  8. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    IDPA has more rules, but those rules are there to try to prevent shooters from running the stages in a way that is not tactically sound. IDPA also tries to create an environment where person can use their CCW gear and still be competitive. Now, its open to debate whether or not the rules actually achieve that goal. IDPA stages usually have some kind of story (a defensive scenario) to go with them. The targets represent threats. It's not unusual for you to have to navigate some kind of obstacles (e.g. opening a door) or do some other task (e.g. carry a briefcase in your support hand) while engaging the threats. Most stages require the use of a cover garment.

USPSA is less restrictive. You can, in theory, shoot a match using your CCW gear. However, if you actually want to be competitive, you'll need a proper competition rig. The stages tend to have higher round counts than IDPA stages. There usually isn't any kind of defensive scenario associated with the stages; stages are usually just an array of targets and barricades that are arranged to challenge your skills.

In my experience, the scoring method used by USPSA seems to be more forgiving to sloppy shooting, whereas IDPA penalizes you a little harder for hitting outside of the "bullseye" regions. Although, in both games, you can sometimes get a better score by erring on the side of speed rather than accuracy.

IDPA uses human silhouettes exclusively (unless you're shooting steel poppers). USPSA sometimes uses "turtle targets" to avoid hurting people's sensitivities.

If you don't have a strong preference, I would start with IDPA. It doesn't require any specialized competition gear or a plethora of extra mags. Since you're new to action shooting, being given instructions on how the stage is to be executed may be a good thing.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
    FNFAN, Rick McC., sdarc and 8 others like this.
  9. Denver1911

Denver1911 Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2014
    Either should accomplish your goal. I prefer USPSA.

wrmiller likes this.
  10. wobblie

wobblie Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2014
    “I'm not really interested in being a serious sport shooter.“

Ha ha ha ha! Not yet you’re not.

11. fieldgrade

Mar 13, 2017
    It’s a helluva drug.

12. handforged

handforged Limestone Canyon Leather and Tool Supporting Addict Sponsor

May 19, 2020
    still laughing at IDPGay... BWahahaaaaa...

I shot IDPA for years, never shot USPS or whatever it's called. Didn't have any of those local to me. IDPA is certainly fun. It's more fun the less seriously you take it. When you start taking it seriously you get drawn in and the next thing you know you're shooting a glock with a Kydex holster, Margaritaville parrot cover garment with a roll of quarter sewn in the front corner watching Keanu Reeves (Taran tactical) vidoes....it's a slippery slope

gaijin, Rick McC., DonTejano and 4 others like this.
  13. jjfitch

jjfitch Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2012
    See if you can find a nearby club that features hybrid "outlaw" "Action Pistol" matches that combine a little of both. Fewer rules and classifications and more fun!

Smiles,

mikc and fieldgrade like this.
  14. sidewaysil80

sidewaysil80 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 29, 2014
    IDPA is better for beginners in my opinion. Get a few matches under your belt then try uspsa. Stick with whatever you enjoy more.

Additionally USPSA will also typically have a higher round count and require “more” equipment (mags/pouches). Regardless just don’t get discouraged and have fun. The people who take either one seriously are dbags...don’t be a dbag.

15. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2017
    Aside from stupid comments, IDPA is an easier way to get started and see how much you enjoy it. Start easy, learn and decide where to go from there. I started in the bad old days of IPSC and loved it, but I had great friends and mentors. The alternative might be an overload at first if you're doing this on your own.

Rick McC., Dub and Dreadnought like this.
  16. Jim w.

Jim w. Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2016
    The first consideration is what is available. It doesn't matter if you prefer the sound of USPSA freestyle or IDPA tacticality if you can't get there in a reasonable drive.

The second consideration is the "personality" of the local outfit. Some clubs are more welcoming than others, glad to help you learn the ropes, others are cliques used to shooting with each other and not interested in being slowed down by a novice.

The third thing is the existence of "outlaw shoots." Some find the scoring for USPSA unintuitive and the IDPA rules of engagement restrictive. So they shoot freestyle with time plus scoring.
    Others think they know better how equipment and procedures should be defined, so they write their own rules that may be at odds with both IDPA and USPSA.

I have done them all and others besides and find almost anything better than renting a range lane and pegging away at a static target.
    Frex, I am shooting Steel Challenge on Saturday. It is not wild and free like USPSA and does not involve a concealment garment or use of cover like IDPA, but it WILL get you to work on your draw, target acquisition, and target transition.

B81 likes this.
  17. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    Best advice I've seen so far...

18. pscipio03

pscipio03 Fun O' Meter on FULL

Mar 11, 2013
    I tried IDPA twice and hate it with the white hot passion of 1,000 burning suns.
    The penalties that get slapped on you for doing something like NOT letting it go to slide lock; NOT doing speed reloads; and a half dozen other rules just turned me off. Also, I really just don't like Bill Wilson or his shenanigans anyway.
    But, that's me. I MUCH prefer 2 or 3 gun, but again, that's my preference.

gaijin, Roehl, ronin11 and 1 other person like this.
  19. wobblie

wobblie Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2014
    Jeezus, it’s just a game with rules.

B81 likes this.
  20. fieldgrade

Mar 13, 2017
    One of the things that either sport will teach you are things you will never learn punching paper at the range. Particularly if you run your everyday carry which is more likely in IDPA, and that is all the things that can and will go wrong with your gun, your ammo, your gear, and you. Things you never thought of before, and how to deal with them while shooting under more stress than you will experience just punching paper at the range.

In either sport, once that shot timer goes off your adrenaline will go up, and your IQ will go down, and you get a taste for how well you actually handle your firearm.

Rick McC., DukeSoprano, Dub and 5 others like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted