IDPA or USPSA

Discussion in 'Competition 1911's' started by Dreadnought, Jun 24, 2020.

1. Jim w.

Jim w. Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2016
    The Masters, Steel City, Birmingham, made a point of offering choices. Master or Expert, take the long or tight shots; Sharpshooter or Marksman, take the time to find the close or open approach.

fieldgrade likes this.
  2. ozy

ozy Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2014
    Tried both and like the more free willing of uspsa. I found idpa to be unrealistically restrictive.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
    1MoreFord and wrmiller like this.

3. Rick McC.

Rick McC. Well-Known Member

May 3, 2013
    That’s what I use it for, but I still manage to outshoot a lot of the kids.

wrmiller and Uncle Bob like this.
  4. FNFAN

FNFAN Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

May 15, 2013
    They're both good for practice moving with your gun. That said, IDPA all the way for me. USPSA is not my cup of tea.

Rick McC. likes this.
  5. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2017
    So do I including local State Troopers. Gets their attention real fast.

Rick McC. likes this.
  6. Jim w.

Jim w. Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2016
    Heck, the fully dressed lady I posted in Girls With Guns beat enough cops in the local LE/mil league that she got disinvited. Not all, but enough.

FNFAN and Dreadnought like this.
  7. whan

whan Previously William Han

Jul 16, 2020
    USPSA - mostly since I find it more fun. Less realistic sure (particularly with reloads) but the faster pace and more open ruleset appeals to me

8. Kilrb

Kilrb Active Member

May 6, 2020
    Agree tried IDPA not sure I will again...

1MoreFord likes this.
  9. Rick McC.

Rick McC. Well-Known Member

May 3, 2013
    Some of the funniest things I’ve seen as a SO is IDPA newbie LEOs in the shoot house.

10. Kilrb

Kilrb Active Member

May 6, 2020
    I had a LEO admit to me that some can’t even take their weapons down for cleaning?.....

11. Uncle Bob

Sep 22, 2017

In watching a lot of women shooters over the years, I've noted one thing. They focus better when shooting under pressure than a lot of people.

ozy likes this.
  12. Uncle Bob

Sep 22, 2017
    Yea, ever consider how badly some LE Officers are badly trained these days? They don't have the budget to train some of these folks better, they don't require it, h*ll there's a lot of reasons. Huge problem that runs continually, is the guys don't practice until it's time to shoot requal.

There's hundred's of videos of LEOs at work, the worst are the guys with High Cap 9mms that go straight into Spray and pray mode. In my days, High cap pistols were rare (we got rid of our model 59s quickly) and you'd get days off for spray and pray.

Welder49 and ozy like this.
  13. Welder49

Welder49 Well-Known Member

May 3, 2020
    And its funny to me how the unknowing general public think that just because a cop carries a gun that they’re gun experts. I shake my head watching shows like COPS and Live PD (before they got cancelled) and seeing officers sometimes struggle to clear a suspect’s gun.

14. mikc

mikc Member

Dec 8, 2013
    Both are just games so keep it in perspective and either will make you a better shooter guaranteed.
    Shooting IDPA is cheaper than USPSA if that matters.

Amp Mangum likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted