IDPA preferences

Discussion in 'Competition 1911's' started by gajones06, Nov 26, 2011.

1. gajones06

gajones06 Member

Nov 26, 2011
    I am wanting to get into IDPA next year and I was wondering what you kind of stuff you guys prefer your 1911 to have. I am looking at getting a sig scorpion in the next week or so and plan to use it for IDPA and as an occasional carry gun. Any input is appreciated and I am looking for you personal preference so don't hold back!!

-Gavin

2. Ditto_95

Ditto_95 Why oh why? Supporting Addict

Nov 5, 2011
    Good sights, at least 3 mags, a quality holster, safety glasses and ear plugs/muffs.

Plenty of ammo. and around $20 for entry fee.

Really, that is all you need to get started. You will find out what else you want to have when you shoot a match or two.

3. SkDmRkLcY

SkDmRkLcY Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Make sure to check the weight of it. Sometimes the Railed guns can get you into weight issues with CDP and ESP.

Otherwise Ditto_95 has it covered.

4. gajones06

gajones06 Member

Nov 26, 2011
    Cool thanks for the help guys!! Can anyone explain to me the difference in classes? I have read the IDPA rules but have a hard time comprehending/disgusting them...

5. rsxr22

rsxr22 Member

Aug 17, 2011
    SSP= stock service guns. G17/34, M&P, XDM. Division is ruled by 9mm as well as ESP, but for the most part the gun needs to be stock
    ESP= trick your SSP gun out. lightened trigger, magwell as long as it fits in the box, basically w/e you want within the limits of the rulebook
    CDP=.45's! It can be a 1911 or G21,M&P45,etc

My best advice for getting into competition is "buy yourself a Glock". Im shooting a Wilson CQB in CDP/Single Stack right now. Next year, I know for sure 1911's will not be used in my rotation because Glock's and M&P's are simply faster! The big advantage comes during the reload. If you are more worried about having fun while shooting a 1911, then by all means, go with the Sig or anything else! Id also recommend you take a hard look at STI's lineup before you purchase anything from Sig Sauer, but if you want to be the most competitive, I think the G21 and M&P are going to be the 2 fastest guns in CDP.

6. 50GI-Jess

50GI-Jess Member

Aug 24, 2011
    @rsx22.
    I believe your totally wrong in your estimations conserning the 1911 in CDP. 1911's have won more than anything else in all type of action shooting, and that won't change anytime soon. IDPA is an accuracy game all the way, and nothing in CDP can beat the triggerpull of a 1911.
    Round count stays the same in CDP, unless something has changed, and I can't see how other guns can't beat reloading time....
    Don't get me wrong, just trying to see where you're comming from???
    CDP Master
    SSP master
    SSR master
    ESR master
    IDPA # A00003

7. Dennis1209

Dennis1209 New Member

Oct 14, 2011
    These guy's seem to have everything covered. I will offer one additional piece of advice I found helpful. I use electronic hearing protection at IDPA matches so I can hear the safety officers commands, who's on deck and who's in the hole.

When I hear "cover - cover" and get a procedural, the electronic hearing protection blares those words like when I attended rock concerts in the late sixties :mad2:

8. gajones06

gajones06 Member

Nov 26, 2011
    Well I have a glock 17 that I would shoot but I am just a better shooter with a 1911...I learned to shoot my first one when I was 8 and been around them since then. While I do enjoy shooting a glock I am not even close to as fast with that as I am with a 1911.

9. Slabside

Slabside Member

Sep 1, 2011
    gajones06 , either way you look at it , these matches are alot of fun ! The guys that shoot them are even better than you might think .

When I started a few years ago , they knew that I was new at it and one by one , they would pull me aside and offer really constructive advise and

boy was it worth it ! Just go with an open mind , eyes and ears ! My first gun was a Sig 220 and I had a blast!! Just my 2 cents !

10. Dewidmt

Dewidmt New Member

Sep 6, 2011
    I've shot CDP with everything from a box-stock Colt ORM 1991A1 to a Les Baer PII. Occasionally a Commander or Springfield Champion to stir things up a bit. I plan on shooting ESP exclusively next year with a Springfield Loaded 9mm.

11. dl645pro

dl645pro dl645pro

Dec 27, 2011
    Just a quick correction, XDs and XDms are in ESP not SSP. This is from Springfield importing/calling them single action for the BATFE and IDPA takes that designation. Since it's isn't DA or Glock's safe action, it can't be used in SSP.

12. BHP9

BHP9 Active Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Right, and don't forget to insert an empty mag before weighing.

CDP is 41ozs
    ESP is 43 ozs.

You can run a 45ACP in both.

Another thing that you should do is read the rule book.

http://www.idpa.com/Documents/IDPARuleBook2005.pdf

13. BuckyP

BuckyP Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Essentials for me on a competition level 1911 is decent sights, extended mag button with lighter spring (just don't put a paddle style button, which isn't allowed), and a big mag well. My preferred is the Infinity, but they are expensive and take some fitting. Dawson and Tech Ware make big mag wells as well.

Here is a comparison.
    Old School S&A, Dawson Ice, Infinity / SV, and a wide body STI with EGW magwell.
    [​IMG]

I'll have to take an updated pic with the Tech Ware I have on my Les Baer.

With the more modern mag wells, a 1911 reload can be just as fast, if not faster.

If you're running a single stack .45, don't bother with ESP. Not only are you dealing with more recoil, but you are limiting yourself to 8+1 instead of 10+1. You can't used extended mags, so you can't run the 10 round .45 mags.

14. 50GI-Jess

50GI-Jess Member

Aug 24, 2011
    It's not uncommen that folks shoot ESP first at local matches, in order to warm up, and then use that same gun for CDP for shooting their "main" event. Local clubs usually charge either $5 or 10 for re-entries. Also, that way you get to shoot some more after f.ie. 100 miles of getting there. maximizing the trip you maid say...

15. BuckyP

BuckyP Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Agree it's a great way to put rounds down range. Most clubs I know make you shoot the "for the match" gun first, to not give a competitive advantage. If you really want to re-shoot, get a GLOCK 21. Not aren't you giving up rounds in ESP, but you can shoot SSP too!! Three divisions, one gun. :tongue:

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted