close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

IDPA specific 1911

Discussion in 'Competition 1911's' started by Greg Derr, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Greg Derr

Greg Derr Custom Pistolsmith Supporting Addict

Oct 3, 2011
    [​IMG]

This started as plain Jane stainless Colt, I added the ball, high power and front cocking serrations for the owner as well as new front and rear sight.
    10-8's in the rear and an XS Big Dot up front. The GS is an EB without the speed bump and the TS is a EB wide. I Nitre blued the pins and hammer to set them off from the stainless. The grips are VZ's. The front strap is hi cut and checkered 20lpi for a good firm hold out of the holster.

[​IMG]

2. Blayglock

Blayglock Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Very nice sir. Do you have a website?

3. Greg Derr

Oct 3, 2011
    derrprecision.com

4. Blayglock

Blayglock Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Thanks and Welcome aboard!

5. thecableguy

thecableguy I hate this addiction Supporting Addict

Aug 16, 2011
    Very impressive work sir.

:welcometo:

6. Carolinaboy

Carolinaboy Aim Small Miss Small Supporting Addict

Sep 17, 2011
    Beautiful pistol!

I like the bluing mixed in with the stainless

7. rsxr22

rsxr22 Member

Aug 17, 2011
    That is definitely a beautiful gun sir! I have a few questions though about choices you made....
    Why no speed hump? I find it extremely hard to disengage the GS when resting thumb on the TS w/o it.
    No magwell? Some permanent like a heine or chen? Or replaceable like a techwell
    And I understand the XS is great for close engagement because it is quick, but you dont find it hard taking headshots and precise "no shoot" shots at far distances?

8. Greg Derr

Oct 3, 2011
    rsxr22, I'm sure those are all good things. The gun was built to the specs of a client. He's winning so I guess he's happy. I'm a bullseye shooter so I am a little dependent on my clients for the action shooting details in a build.

9. Cerebrus

Cerebrus Push to test, release to detonate

Aug 17, 2011
    And here I thought the point of the HP cuts was to get rid of the fcs.. looks good tho, real clean I like it.

10. rsxr22

rsxr22 Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Ive got you! I thought it was your personal gun. My mistake. Either way it is beautiful, great work

11. 50GI-Jess

50GI-Jess Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Very nice.
    Yes! being a pistolsmith, one has to build the guns to the customers specifications. Remember back when I worked for WC. One time we had to inform an older gentleman, that is was a bad idea, to "upgrade" his near mint condition WW-1 Colt 1911 with new Nite-Sights and a BT.
    Fortunately he took our good advice.

12. rsxr22

rsxr22 Member

Aug 17, 2011
    I completely understand! Being a WC dealer, i have had to order some guns with specs that were absurd, but what the customer wanted. I asked the guy if he was sure when i was going over the order with him, my rep asked me if i had gotten the order right, and i got a call from another employee before they started the work to make sure it was right LOL. But hey, as long as the customer is happy. right?

13. Sir Guy

Sir Guy Sharpening Ockham's Razor Supporting Addict

Aug 20, 2011
    Looks pretty sharp. One doesn't often see both front cocking serrations and Hi-Power cuts.

Andy

14. doc.lonestar

doc.lonestar Texas CHL Instructor

Sep 11, 2011
    very nice work there. Okay huge understatement - Beautiful work there.

Be safe,
    Doc

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted