1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to pick up a .44mag wheel gun but I'm going to try and not get carried away. I like my dads old S&W but it's the 6" barrel and I'd like shorter having shot it a good bit. The S&W M69 interests me but it is the smaller frame I believe. What do you guys think hind sight only buying one, where do you go?

Note: I am not recoil sensitive.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
I’ve got a 69, 2 629s and a beautiful Model 29 from 1962.

The 4” barrel is nice for all around use.

The 69 is great for carrying and for shooting less than full house loads.

If you are going to shoot lots of heavy boomer loads, go with an N frame 629, or a Ruger Redhawk or Super Redhawk, or a Ruger Super Blackhawk if a single action tickles your fancy.

·
Registered
148 Posts
If you are going to own only one 44 mag, then I say go with the original. Find an older S&W model 29, preferably pre-internal lock and pre-MIM. I prefer the 29-2 or older, simply because I prefer the pinned barrel / recessed cylinder in a Smith. You can go 629 if you prefer stainless.

Lots of great choices and hard to own just one, but that's my vote...

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I would go with the older model 29 as well...either Nickel or Blued..but Blued will be easier to find, and cheaper, in a 4" ( or a 6" ). In a .44 mag I like them in a 4" or 6"

Definitely look for a pinned & recessed gun ( before the lock ).

Triggers on the S&W, in my view, will be far better than anything from Ruger - or even Colt.

·
John 14:6
1,462 Posts
Pm sent to you!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, gentleman. I'll check those out over the next few days. I've got limited experience with wheel guns so I really appreciate good input. I probably would shoot it a ton but just here and there dispatch wounded pigs when pig hunting.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you could get only one .44 revolver, I would gat a Freedom Arms model 83 made the way you want it! :grin: http://www.freedomarms.com/index.html
I'm interested in these now, a bit more than I wanted to spend but if I only have one...
Any thoughts on 357 or 44 if I only have one revolver?

·
I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a 1911 today
3,184 Posts
Note: I am not recoil sensitive.

Then what you want, my friend, is the handy-dandy S&W 629 Performance Center 2.625 inch revolver! I used the think I liked recoil as well, until I turned 50 and decided I had to have one of these things. Touching off some full power .44 mag with the little gem, having only enough grip to get two fingers on, leaving your pinky dangling, is a real treat. And by treat, I mean it started tearing skin off of the webbed area of my hand. Check it out!

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/performance-center-model-629-0

·
Deo Volente
7,523 Posts
I'm interested in these now, a bit more than I wanted to spend but if I only have one...
Any thoughts on 357 or 44 if I only have one revolver?

What are you going to do with it? Carry it while camping?

·
Registered
833 Posts
I am really liking the looks of the S&W 69, but my experience in .44mag revolvers is admittedly limited. I own a (Don't laugh) Taurus Tracker .44mag, it has been a good gun, and has taken a few feral hogs. If money was no object, I would probably choose an old Colt Anaconda, or original S&W 29.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I am really liking the looks of the S&W 69, but my experience in .44mag revolvers is admittedly limited. I own a (Don't laugh) Taurus Tracker .44mag, it has been a good gun, and has taken a few feral hogs. If money was no object, I would probably choose an old Colt Anaconda, or original S&W 29.
Bloodhound,

I love old Colt revolvers, but I would quibble over the Anaconda. I sold a lot of them when they came out in the 90's, and lost track of how many ended up coming back for service. It was not one of Colt's better designs. I still can't believe how much they sell for now, considering the reputation they had back in the day...

·
Registered
833 Posts
I did not know that they were plagued by issues, however I've heard of the notorious timing issues on the "snake gun" lineup. I change my vote to 100% S&W 29 then... LOL

1 - 20 of 124 Posts