If it say "Lipsey" or "Talo" . . .

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by ZoidMeister, May 19, 2019.

Tags:
  1. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    . . . . . how much of an attraction is that to you?

To me, I usually won't click the link.

2. Usp45ct

Usp45ct Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2012
    Meh, no more or no less a click. If I open it that means i was going to open it anyway.
    Commander will get me to click.

FWoo45 likes this.

3. mudgun

mudgun Active Member Supporting Addict

Dec 10, 2018
    I'll usually click to see what it is. I usually don't think it adds value, sometimes maybe even detracts from the un altered version.

4. john_anch_ak

john_anch_ak Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 7, 2017
    Same as you, really don't care.

5. 1911fanatic

1911fanatic Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2011
    Is the Wiley clapp govt model a talo model? If so, this is the only talo/lispey that I’ve had any interest in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boatdoc likes this.
  6. studenygreg

studenygreg Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2016
    I wouldnt buy anything just because it has the extra name value. I have 1 talo edition colt defender. I only bought it because I had a hard time finding a regular one and I kinda liked the color scheme.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited: May 19, 2019
  7. Glock2740

Glock2740 1911 addict Staff Member Moderator

Aug 16, 2011
    All they are added options/color schemes that aren’t available through other vendors.
    Some of their stuff is pretty cool. Others are meh.

Colorado Sonny and Greg6640 like this.
  8. WWB

WWB Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Supporting Addict

Apr 11, 2015
    Zero added interest.

Razer and Greg6640 like this.
  9. Capthobo

Capthobo NRA Endowment member Supporting Addict

Nov 9, 2016
    This Talo got me!
    I’m weak when it comes to 38 Superb!
    FDDDFB2A-CBE4-4496-9F5F-6E78D9789E60.jpeg

10. dakota1911

dakota1911 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Since, besides 1911s, I also enjoy convertible single action revolvers and Ruger/Lipsey figure in that area.

https://ruger.com/products/newModelBlackhawkConvertible/models.html

My 10mm/40S&W is associated with Lipsey and my 357/9mm is associated with Williams. They are fun to shoot.

[​IMG]

Back about 2017 I was looking at Lipsey and noted the 9mm GCNM MkIV Series 70. I went ahead and ordered one thinking, like a lot of Rugers, it might not be around a long time. It is under my 2015 GCNM in 45ACP and I was happy when Colt put it on their website.

[​IMG]

With Talo I am happy about the Colt/Talo Clapp line and have a couple. Also some Talo models turn a lot of people off so one can sometimes find them at nice prices. I remember one, years ago, I found barely used in a LGS for about $750 when new ones were $1.2K. Like a lot of Talo editions it has a special serial number, this one in the DTMxxx format and I can't remember right now if 300 or 500 were made.

[​IMG]

The right of the slide is blank by the way. Under the hood it is basically a Colt XSE Gov. of the time with undercut trigger guard, special hammer and ambi thumb safeties, FLGR, and "duckbill" grip safety. Of course the slide and sights are different, as are the grips. Still, it shoots great and makes a great 4th of July BBQ gun.

Colorado Sonny, 1L26, gps man and 5 others like this.
  11. monadh

monadh Sapientiae Timor Domini Initium

May 8, 2012
    None really. The SA Combat Operator 9mm, which is a Lipsey's exclusive built to their specs by SACS, was one I had been looking for. Jdoc7 put one up for sale at a good price and I have agreed to buy it. "Lipsey's" was irrelevant.

However, once this is done, I think I am going to stay off this site for a while. Too many beautiful 1911s pop up.

12. isialk

isialk Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 7, 2017
    I’ll look at just about anything I guess. I don’t have the kind of experience and knowledge about these guns that most here do. At this point in my gun education, I don’t know anyone named Lipsey, and Talo is a misspelling of a substance used to make candles. I’d look just to see what they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Colorado Sonny likes this.
  13. azpoolguy

azpoolguy Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2013
    It tells me it’s just a different color that I won’t want to keep any how.

monadh likes this.
  14. monadh

monadh Sapientiae Timor Domini Initium

May 8, 2012
    Most of the time you’d be right. In my instance, SACS did the work using SACS parts and adding SACS features. Looking forward to shooting it.

15. Dwe

Dwe I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!

Sep 4, 2011
    Zero Shlts given.:morning:

Novak77, july19 and Doc45 like this.
  16. Glock2740

Glock2740 1911 addict Staff Member Moderator

Aug 16, 2011
    I’ll say this, you wouldn’t get two GP100’s like these from Ruger if it weren’t for Talo.
    58721F5A-6008-440F-931A-2B6E2DE6B95B.jpeg

B8223D65-A272-43E2-A27A-FF8D27288F25.jpeg

Just sayin. ;)

17. grayghostforge

grayghostforge Hit it while its hot

May 17, 2017
    I'll look, typically their choice in upgrades...meh

18. KS95B40

KS95B40 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Aug 16, 2017
    I always look but so far haven’t purchased from either.

19. Doc45

Doc45 Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2018
    Similar to the Lew Horton Smith and Wessons. Yes, for example the 3" 24 and 624-originally brought out due to LH wanting a special model but then S&W made them available to all their distributors. Didn't last long as a production run but now some seem to feel if it can be traced back to coming from LH it deserves more money on the market. For me, meh-no difference. As long as it shoots good :D

This 24 came through Horton:
    [​IMG]

This 624 didn't:
    [​IMG]

20. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    I guess they do drive some variety into the market, especially in the revolver market. I've always seen most of them as color change ups with different grips and/or hammers / triggers.

Colorado Sonny and gps man like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted