If it wasn't for mistakes...

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by E39, Feb 4, 2012.

1. E39

E39 Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Oct 15, 2011
    .. I wouldn't learn anything.

Swapped in some new stuff today after cleaning up the SA Loaded. Wolff 18# recoil spring, Ed Brown steel firing pin, and a Wilson Combat mainspring housing with a Wolff 23# spring. I have a "clip-on" WC mag well which I really liked. I wanted to get rid of the SA ILS so I bought the WC Speed Chute. The Speed Chute has checkering while my SA housing only had the vertical cuts.

The Speed Chute was causing my mags to hang up so I did some filing on the mag well. After several trial fittings I forgot to clamp down the grip safety so when I pulled the MS housing off a bunch of other stuff came with it. Up to this point, I had never done a detail strip and really wanted to avoid it until I felt more comfortable about it.

Well, I took everything out of the frame, looked at some reference material, and nailed it. It was actually faster to trial fit the mag well not having to worry about the grip safety since I took care of that before I reassembled the frame. Checked to make sure the safeties worked properly. Feel a whole lot better now.

NOTE: No Dremel tools were used in this exercise (even thought I have one)! :biggrin1:

I'll try to get to the range next week to make sure it works properly. I have another class (Practical Concealed Carry) in 2 weeks. The Defensive Handgun class last week was a blast. Lots of tactical stuff. As a civilian this is all new and very interesting.

2. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    Good for you.

3. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    Why did you swap out the FP?

4. E39

Oct 15, 2011
    I've never had a bad primer strike with the titanium fp. I was ordering the Wolff springs and thought about having an extra fp so I bought one. I don't expect any change in performance but now I have a spare.

5. TSiWRX

TSiWRX Member

Aug 21, 2011
    I'm still uber-jealous that you've got Rob Pincus as a resource. :smile:

Good for you, for getting training! As a fellow civilian-CHL, all of this stuff was also completely new to me, too. Sure, it's practical and important, but it's definitely also very fun, and that's a part of what keeps me going back, too.

6. E39

Oct 15, 2011
    Rob has two Combat Focus Shooting classes at Blackwing in March. Both of my instructors for the CCW, Defensive Handgun, and the upcoming Practical Concealed Carry are advocates of CFS (one of them is a certified instructor). Consequently my courses follow the same methods. Rob certainly has an interesting take on things. I'm signed up for the Larry Vickers 1911 Operators course in Ashtabula in October. Ought to be interesting.

7. haynesragas

haynesragas 1911 BFF

Feb 18, 2012
    Speaking of mistakes, I was thrilled with the way my first 1911 shot, felt, smooth trigger pull, etc. But I had to take it all apart and try switching out every part I could find to upgrade. I eventually went back to all the original parts and pieces. I'm thinking if I get a frame and slide, I can make another pistol.

8. sheepman

sheepman New Member

Aug 24, 2011
    I have learned a lot at the school of hard knocks, but it gets expensive when I keep taking the same courses over several times. I must just be a slow learner. :lol:

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted